The Student Room Group

Best university for social life

I am Scottish but am doing my A-levels in Kuwait. I have some friends in Scotland but it is highly unlikely that I will end up at the same University as them. I don't tend to have a problem with social surroundings and can make friends when i have to(experience with living in a new country) but i was wondering of the unis im applying to(Stirling, Napier, Dundee, Strathclyde), which has the best standard of social like in your opinion. I mean like accomodation wise, how well do the student integrate, and in your experience how easy have you made good friends there. As i will be coming back home to university next year with no family in the country except my gran, although i do like the freedom/independance, I know that I would feel more comfortable in a good social environment.anyways enough rambling.what's your thoughts?
Bristol:smile:
Reply 2
Nighthawk
I am Scottish but am doing my A-levels in Kuwait. I have some friends in Scotland but it is highly unlikely that I will end up at the same University as them. I don't tend to have a problem with social surroundings and can make friends when i have to(experience with living in a new country) but i was wondering of the unis im applying to(Stirling, Napier, Dundee, Strathclyde), which has the best standard of social like in your opinion. I mean like accomodation wise, how well do the student integrate, and in your experience how easy have you made good friends there. As i will be coming back home to university next year with no family in the country except my gran, although i do like the freedom/independance, I know that I would feel more comfortable in a good social environment.anyways enough rambling.what's your thoughts?

I would say that in any uni in Glasgow you'll make new friends, as for the social life, its out with uni make your own plans! I go to Glasgow and its got 2 good unions so your bound to meet pals. For accomodation im not sure as i stay at home :o:
Reply 3
Nighthawk

Strathclyde would have the more traditional social life, since it is based in the middle of Glasgow. Napier is in Edinburgh, but a little out of the city centre. All university surroundings have some sort of social life, a whole economy builds up around students. It really depends on what you want and what you are looking for.
Reply 4
Stirling has fairly poor night life (two clubs in town, but loads of pubs) and the student union is fairly expensive and small, but I've never met a better bunch of people (for the most part). Uni is what you make of it - if you want to make friends then you can make friends, no effort, no friends.
samthevet123
Bristol:smile:

My geography isnt briliant but how long has Bristol been in Scotland?
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice so far. So Glasgow is the place to be then. Strathclyde is mayybe going to be my first choice but i'm also looking at Dundee as i am from Perth so know Tayside a bit more. I'm guessing its jst a case of putting yourself out there and all unis have a decent social life. What would u say is the biggest drinking uni? not saying thats why im going but i do see that playing out a big part in my weekly schedule:p:
Reply 7
They will all have heavy-drinking people, like they will all have people who don't drink at all.
Reply 8
It just depends on how often the rest of your hall mates want to go out.
Reply 9
Edge Hill.
Reply 10
irish_4_life
My geography isnt briliant but how long has Bristol been in Scotland?

Bristol is in South West of England :yep:
Miz-Cletty
Bristol is in South West of England :yep:

I think she knows that already.
Reply 12
Join a drinking club (aka sports club) and you'll meet loads of heavy drinking folk. :yep:
Reply 13
I'm biased but Derby is class :smile:
Sigh. Some people need to learn to read a thread.
Reply 15
I've heard Newcastle has a great night life.

Only joking, Out the ones you have picked then Strathclyde Glasgow is always going to be your best bet for a good night out. But Napiers halls are bang in the centre of town aswell and Edinburgh is up there with a good night aswell.
Reply 16
TheOneWho
I think she knows that already.

Ah ive jus caught onto tht now....lol :biggrin:
if this were real life people would just laugh and move on, dont know what it is about anonymous chat rooms but it turns people into *****
Reply 18
I think Dundee is, as iveh eard it crawls with Uni students.
samthevet123
if this were real life people would just laugh and move on, dont know what it is about anonymous chat rooms but it turns people into *****

wowww, touchy?

Latest