The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Men are the ones who have to wear a condom, if they don't put it on themselves pregnancies hapen...

Also hello, women can DIE having babies, in C-sections they CUT you open, enough to pull a baby out. And natural birth? yeah it usually leads to stitches...
The way the law sees it is that the child is just a part of the women's body for her to dispose of as she pleases up until birth when it magically changes into being a human baby (despite a slight period of uncertainty from 24 weeks to birth when the child is considered alive only if it is not disabled) and so the father must pay child support at this point.
kevin_123
Maybe actually "counter" an argument instead of just saying "no" unless you know you're actually wrong, in which case you shouldn't be saying "no".

Maybe you should stop being abusive and ridiculous and then people might take you seriously and give you the 'counter argument' you so long for.
Reply 23
Sprockette
Well I have no magic solution for the first problem, when the man wants the baby and the woman wants an abortion. But if the man wants to abort his child and the woman doesn't then I think that he should have the right not to be a father even if only for legal reasons. In this case the father should be able to sign some form saying that he didn't want the child, the mother does want it and so she has full responsibility when it's born.

But then as said above, life isn't fair!

Could bring up problems if the man was young so went of and got on with his life, while the woman had to sacrifice and pay for everything, then he comes back when he's all set up and decides he wants to know it.

I can imagine this happening a lot :rolleyes:
blinkbelle

I assume you're a virgin?
Rub it in why don't you
:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
What I said earlier:

It ultimately has to be the woman's choice (although this certainly is not 100% fair) because both abortion and birth carry health risks, and intricately involve her control over her own body.
Forcing a woman to abort a child she really wants would be frankly inhumane (can you even imagine it) - and it would be forcing treatment.
Forcing a woman to keep a child is less clear-cut, as perhaps it is inhumane to rob a man of a child he wants/feels attached to, but then there are a lot of risks and costs associated with pregnancy and childbirth. Things that don't apply to the man in any way.

As for maintenance payments - well it doesn't seem fair to give the man no choice in an abortion, and no choice in the financial outcome. But allowing fathers to get away without paying is certainly not in the best interests of the child, is it? It can't help being an accident, and fathers do bear some responsibility (takes two to tango).
If the mother didn't want to care for the child and the father did (after it was born) it would likewise be the most fair thing to ask her to pay maintenance as well.

There is unfortunately, no way to sort out unwanted pregnancy (where the parents disagree on arrangements) fairly and with the best interests of the child. I guess the law aims for what is most fair.

:yep:
kevin_123
Rub it in why don't you
:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

So you want to have sex? Therefore, following your own line of argument, you are ready to become a father? Congratulations! Hope you find that lucky lady soon :wink:
blinkbelle
So you want to have sex? Therefore, following your own line of argument, you are ready to become a father? Congratulations! Hope you find that --->lucky<--- lady soon :wink:

:no:
Reply 28
BeanofJelly
What I said earlier:

It ultimately has to be the woman's choice (although this certainly is not 100% fair) because both abortion and birth carry health risks, and intricately involve her control over her own body.
Forcing a woman to abort a child she really wants would be frankly inhumane (can you even imagine it) - and it would be forcing treatment.
Forcing a woman to keep a child is less clear-cut, as perhaps it is inhumane to rob a man of a child he wants/feels attached to, but then there are a lot of risks and costs associated with pregnancy and childbirth. Things that don't apply to the man in any way.

As for maintenance payments - well it doesn't seem fair to give the man no choice in an abortion, and no choice in the financial outcome. But allowing fathers to get away without paying is certainly not in the best interests of the child, is it? It can't help being an accident, and fathers do bear some responsibility (takes two to tango).
If the mother didn't want to care for the child and the father did (after it was born) it would likewise be the most fair thing to ask her to pay maintenance as well.

There is unfortunately, no way to sort out unwanted pregnancy (where the parents disagree on arrangements) fairly and with the best interests of the child. I guess the law aims for what is most fair.

:yep:

Explains it all.:yep:
blinkbelle
So you want to have sex? Therefore, following your own line of argument, you are ready to become a father? Congratulations! Hope you find that lucky lady soon :wink:
Unless, I was referring the ":frown: " as to not having found that "lucky lady" therefore not being able to engage in sexual intercourse.

Checkmate :biggrin:
Mr. Orange
:no:
Dude, that made me upset, why would you want to make me upset? I thought police officers were good people, not big mean people like yourself :frown:
kevin_123
Dude, that made me upset, why would you want to make me upset? I thought police officers were good people, not big mean people like yourself :frown:

I'm not big, I'm not mean and I'm not a police officer. Your point?
Skye333
Oii, maybe you stop being so imature. Women can DIE giving birth, it's not just a injection or something.

Manu don't 'decide' to get pregnant, like she said it can happen even if you're on the pill. I'm sure you'd have sex with a girl, without considering the huge risk she's taking, but then it's not a risk for you is it?

You'll never experience it. stop talking.
If you're arguing the concept that "Men will never understand woman" then you have to appreciate the fact that it works both ways. Therefore, following your own argument, I could argue that women will never understand what it is like not to have any influence in the decision of your very own child. That someone else has the right to decide whether your own child lives or dies. Right?
Mothers choice.
Yo cant force a women to carry a child! How is that any kind o start to a babys life?
kevin_123
If you're arguing the concept that "Men will never understand woman" then you have to appreciate the fact that it works both ways. Therefore, following your own argument, I could argue that women will never understand what it is like not to have any influence in the decision of your very own child. That someone else has the right to decide whether your own child lives or dies. Right?

In countries where abortion is illegal, women do know how that feels.
Reply 35
kevin_123

Sure it's not fair, but it's their sacrifice, how many times is it the man compeletely looks after the child? You'd lose out on 9 months too. And what about the risk of the actual process, not your risk....
missygeorgia
In countries where abortion is illegal, women do know how that feels.
Hang on a minute, there is a big difference between: 1 - Not being able to stop your child being killed. 2 - Not having the option to kill your own child.

Would oyu not agree?
missygeorgia
Women have feelings that don't revolve around greed and bitchiness/jealousy

Pedrobear

Where on earth was that quote from?
yodude888
Why is it that if a woman wants an abortion but the father doesn't... she's still allowed to have the abortion?

Yet, if the man wants his baby aborted and the mother doesn't... she's still allowed to have the baby, AND ask the father to pay out for child support.

If the baby is a shared responsability, why is there such heavy discrimination against fathers and their right to ALSO decide what happens to their genetic material?

Discuss.

The answer is simple.

An individual (and his/her doctors; and his/her next of kin if they are physically or mentally incapable of making a decision themself) is the only person allowed to make the decision to have/not have surgery on their own body.

The same is true whether this individual is male or female.

There is no grey area here.

Latest

Trending

Trending