The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
3A* offer? Why?!

No wonder people say Johns is a bit snobbish.
Reply 61
fumblewomble
These things are checked a million times (well maybe that's a slight exaggeration...) before the letters are sent out since they have to honor whatever they say even if they made a mistake - once you have a letter that is a guarantee that if you make the grades (and any other conditions) they specify you will be allowed to start the course in the year they've said!

Does this mean that even if, say, I end up not doing the extended project (even though I said I will be doing one in the SAQ, personal statement, and UCAS qualifications section), my offer will not be affected? My offer says nothing about any subjects by the way, only A*AA is required.
Reply 62
fumblewomble
If your extended project is not part of your offer conditions then what you get in it is irrelevant. However if you are going to make any change to what you said that you were going to do on your UCAS form you should contact the college admissions office immediately and inform them.

How likely would it be that they'll retract my offer? Or can I just ask if it will affect my offer if I don't do the extended project?
Reply 63
To answer the question about feedback, it really depends on the college. Some don't give it at all, some only if you ask, some automatically, others only give it to those rejected, and some give it to everyone! I got a feedback letter about a month and a half after I got my offer, which was very nice, because it talked about the impression I'd given in interview etc, but also highlighted the weaker areas of my application. So maybe wait till end of February, and then if you haven't got anything automatically, ask for it. Also remember, it goes to your school/UCAS tutor, so check with them.
Reply 64
mavoury
To answer the question about feedback, it really depends on the college. Some don't give it at all, some only if you ask, some automatically, others only give it to those rejected, and some give it to everyone! I got a feedback letter about a month and a half after I got my offer, which was very nice, because it talked about the impression I'd given in interview etc, but also highlighted the weaker areas of my application. So maybe wait till end of February, and then if you haven't got anything automatically, ask for it. Also remember, it goes to your school/UCAS tutor, so check with them.

Well it said to request feedback in writing by 31st January on the website, but I wasn't sure if that was only for unsuccessful applicants. Thanks for the info though :smile:

StormStryke
Tiggy, maybe it's John's? They made me an offer of 42/45 in the IB (to give you an idea of what this is like, the UCAS tariff table considers this to be equivalent to about 4-and-a-half A*s) and that was for Music! Luckily I already got it (sat in November 09) but still I was shocked!!!

Yep, I think that in hindsight I may have chosen an uber-high offering college. Ah well, I loved it when I went at interview and on the open day, and I suppose another college, different interviewers and I may not have been made an offer so no regrets. :rolleyes:
Reply 65
Can I just say that say you got A*A*A they would be extremely harsh to reject you, given that that's still above the standard cambridge offer, and loads more people will be missing their offers than usual this year because of the A* requirement, so you would have an advantage over most.

Cambridge also operates a summer pool, which as far as I'm aware, is for people who meet the standard cambridge offer - which this year will be A*AA - but miss their specific colleges offers, so they can be considered by other colleges, and often they are fished out. It's mainly for mathmaticians who missed STEP requirements, but if you got A*AA you also would fall in this category. So don't think it's 3A*s or nothing - although obviously it would still be good to get that!

If you took a random poll of current cambridge students, probably over a quarter wouldn't have made the A*AA offer, and well over half would never have made a 3A* offer! So this year cambridge are going to be taking a huge number of people who will have missed their offers, much more than in previous years - they'll have to or otherwise cambridge would be half empty next October! So try not to stress over it too much.
Reply 66

Spoiler

_tiggy_
No problem, I doubt it was very useful really :s-smilie: Anyway, best of luck, I hope you hear soon!

i rang up reading today and the woman was really nice. and i've got an interview on the 17th feb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so happy :woo:
Reply 68
Sorry, but A*A*A* should be perfectly manageable if you're moderately intelligent and work hard. It's not bad at all.
Reply 69
Galatea
Can I just say that say you got A*A*A they would be extremely harsh to reject you, given that that's still above the standard cambridge offer, and loads more people will be missing their offers than usual this year because of the A* requirement, so you would have an advantage over most.

Cambridge also operates a summer pool, which as far as I'm aware, is for people who meet the standard cambridge offer - which this year will be A*AA - but miss their specific colleges offers, so they can be considered by other colleges, and often they are fished out. It's mainly for mathmaticians who missed STEP requirements, but if you got A*AA you also would fall in this category. So don't think it's 3A*s or nothing - although obviously it would still be good to get that!

If you took a random poll of current cambridge students, probably over a quarter wouldn't have made the A*AA offer, and well over half would never have made a 3A* offer! So this year cambridge are going to be taking a huge number of people who will have missed their offers, much more than in previous years - they'll have to or otherwise cambridge would be half empty next October! So try not to stress over it too much.

Thanks for reassuring me :smile: I hope I make it (or close enough) but if I don't, it's good to know that there's still a chance! :smile:

Dadeyemi
work hard

I intend to haha!!

CharlotteCoster
i rang up reading today and the woman was really nice. and i've got an interview on the 17th feb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so happy

Woohoo!! Well done, that's awesome :smile: :woo:

J234
Sorry, but A*A*A* should be perfectly manageable if you're moderately intelligent and work hard. It's not bad at all.

I'm not complaining about my offer, I was really just asking for advice on feedback. I would contend that, particularly in arts/humanities based subjects such as mine, and without the benefit of large amounts of school or parental support, a "moderately intelligent" person wouldn't achieve A*A*A* in reality, though. To drop just a few marks in every exam is pretty tough, especially when the ambiguity of mark schemes and occasional crazy question are taken into account.

Latest

Trending

Trending