Reply 2
I think the well known phrase is:

"There are no atheists in foxholes."
Reply 3
No.
Reply 4
I like chocolate cake. :smile:
Reply 5
My boat sank a few years ago, as far as I can recall, I was, and still am an atheist nowadays.

(granted, it was a laser :biggrin: but meh.)
I'm on a sinking ship and I'm an atheist...?
Evangelicals sank the Titanic.
chica_chica
I think the well known phrase is:

"There are no atheists in foxholes."

And even then it's not an argument against atheism, but against foxholes.
Reply 9
What, change their mind at the last minute just coz they would probably die? The last thing they do in their life would be to contradict and go against everything they believed in prior. Gj.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
What have you got to loose in that situation?

I am an atheist because I have too much self respect to claim to believe what can only be described as a heap of twaddle in my personal opinion, however once on said sinking ship I would be prepared to sacrifice that spot of self respect.

I fail to see what the point is in this argument. Everyone makes compromises in life.
NoHands
My boat sank a few years ago, as far as I can recall, I was, and still am an atheist nowadays.

(granted, it was a laser :biggrin: but meh.)

You managed to sink a laser...that either takes serious skill or a level of retardation normally reserved for small rodents :biggrin:
So you're saying that people turn to religion when they are at their most fearful, over-emotional and irrational?

Even if that's true, so what? I see no argument against athiesm in this claim. Quite the opposite, in fact.
I don't understand.
On a sinking ship, where people think they are going to die, not many people tend to think rationally, so it is quite possible people will cling to whatever hope they can.

What is even sadder is that in a situation where everything is fine, and there is very little chance of death people still feel the need to cling to that hope.
Mr Advice
Isn't it logic?

Yep and its a good argument against theism.

On a sinking ship, there are no atheists <===> People believe in God because they cant handle the concept of mortality.

I'm an atheist, I'm comfortable with death.
Reply 18
Everybody on the planet practices selective atheism anyway, so no that is not logic at all.

Latest