The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
PJ991
Did they do the partners scheme at Newcastle? That lowers your offer by one grade for each a level.

Yepp :smile:
Reply 21
Jakko247
Hmm I am not sure if I agree! :p:
If Liverpool gave me an offer of AAB and Warwick gave me an offer of ABB then I am not likely to put Liverpool as my firm

I think in these situations people will know which is the best university for them. I should imagine the greatest fear of somebody applying to university would be missing their Firm offer and or insurance, Firming a university would indicate a university you really wanted to go to regardless of the offer they've made you :woo:

That's because you're doing it properly.

A lot of applicants won't pick an insurance with higher grades. In fact, many schools tell students this isn't possible. The "best" result from this is that a student just doesn't pick an insurance, but a lot of the time applicants pick in grade order and then realise they've made the wrong choice.

You're new. Wait and see what this subforum is like over the summer.
Reply 22
Juno
That's because you're doing it properly.

A lot of applicants won't pick an insurance with higher grades. In fact, many schools tell students this isn't possible. The "best" result from this is that a student just doesn't pick an insurance, but a lot of the time applicants pick in grade order and then realise they've made the wrong choice.

You're new. Wait and see what this subforum is like over the summer.

Hehe yes, I can imagine there would be some silly choices :p:
The guy I sit next to in Economics applied for Business Management or something, with predicted grades of ABD/ ACD. One uni lowered their ABB offer to BBB for him. I don't get it! They must REALLY love his personal statement or something...
Reply 24
EierVonSatan
As far as I know, departments get as much money from international students as domestic ones - just the entire contribution comes from the international student (i.e. no funding from the UK government).

That's interesting.

Why is it that International Students have a reputation for getting 'easy' offers then? Quota filling?
Lack of applicants for the course, personal statement, reference, interview..
riiight.
That's interesting.

Why is it that International Students have a reputation for getting 'easy' offers then? Quota filling?

Do they? :s-smilie:

Pretty sure it's got nothing to do with quotas in any case :p:
Reply 27
Jakko247
Hehe yes, I can imagine there would be some silly choices :p:

If you do a search for "firm and insurance", pretty much all the results mention choosing in grade order or say something like I don't know which to choose as all my offers are the same!" Then nearer results day, we get "I only chose X as it was my lowest offer, and now I don't want to go there".

There is a wiki page on [wiki]Firm_and_insurance_choices[/wiki] but a lot of people either don't read it or decide that it's silly to not choose in grade order. Then later they need to read about [wiki]Being_released_from_your_Firm_or_Insurance[/wiki]
Reply 28
riiight.
That's interesting.

A lot of it is just reputation. An applicant decides they were rejected because of prejudice, and they like this explanation more than they simply weren't good enough. So they tell their friend, and it spreads.

International students will also do different qualifications, and even admissions tutors sometimes have difficulty deciding how they compare to A Levels, so applicants themselves won't know! If international students are doing A levels then English may still be their second language, which makes things slightly harder for them anyway.

And for some courses there are quotas for UK students but not for International. This does work the other way round in some courses (I think some medicine related ones) where there are limits on the number of international students.
Reply 29
Juno
If you do a search for "firm and insurance", pretty much all the results mention choosing in grade order or say something like I don't know which to choose as all my offers are the same!" Then nearer results day, we get "I only chose X as it was my lowest offer, and now I don't want to go there".

There is a wiki page on [wiki]Firm_and_insurance_choices[/wiki] but a lot of people either don't read it or decide that it's silly to not choose in grade order. Then later they need to read about [wiki]Being_released_from_your_Firm_or_Insurance[/wiki]

I have only got two grades from last years AS because I was in hospital awaiting an operation so i came out with an A in Government and Politics and an A in General studies (these were the only exams I sat) and I didn't get a grade in History or Business for the above reasons....

I've just re-sat last years AS moduals and I was wondering how long you can leave it before you have to make a firm/insurance choice?

Ideally, I'd like to decide my firm/insurance after I get the results from the January exams but that's in March as far as I know; is this too late to hold out choosing a firm/insurance?

Basically I want to know if I am on track to fulfilling a higher offer or a lower one... :/
Reply 30
EierVonSatan
Do they? :s-smilie:

Pretty sure it's got nothing to do with quotas in any case :p:

Well, I can only speak for my course for which I have (some) knowledge.

Nottingham is ranked 4th for Law in the UK. For obvious reasons, the best any UK applicant can hope for is an AAA offer. They're so over-subcribed each year, there's not a hope in hell of getting a lower offer than that.

It seems, however, that each year, many jammy overseas applicants get offered AAB.

Nottingham do not want 'worse' applicants. Why, then, is a top uni offering below AAA exclusively for overseas?

It's an outrage. :eek3:
Reply 31
Jakko247
I have only got two grades from last years AS because I was in hospital awaiting an operation so i came out with an A in Government and Politics and an A in General studies (these were the only exams I sat) and I didn't get a grade in History or Business for the above reasons....

I've just re-sat last years AS moduals and I was wondering how long you can leave it before you have to make a firm/insurance choice?

Ideally, I'd like to decide my firm/insurance after I get the results from the January exams but that's in March as far as I know; is this too late to hold out choosing a firm/insurance?

Basically I want to know if I am on track to fulfilling a higher offer or a lower one... :/

You get your own date, displayed in Track, dependent on when you receive your last offer. You don't have to choose until all of your choices have replied to you. If this is before March 31st then you have to reply by May - but it doesn't matter how much earlier they reply!

If you don't receive all your offers til after March 31st then you get a later date to reply.

So yeah, you will be able to wait until March results. But if you want to do any resits of your resits then usually the date for deciding that is very soon after the results come out so try to start thinking things through as soon as you can.
Reply 32
Both UK and EU students have to pay ~3200 pounds per year, whereas overseas bring over 12k pounds per year (the prices of clinical courses may vary from 20k) :smile: That's why even EU students suffer from this greed and that's why so much Chinese, UAE people and etc. are accepted. :smile:
Well I'm in my 3rd year of college and I got into my first choice which wanted AAB for Economics and my second one ABB. However I have got 2 A-levels already A in German and a D in Performance Studies. Considering that I was born in Germany so the A should have been expected. Still my first choice only wants me to get ABB and my second choice BB. I guess I was lucky?! Or not?
Reply 34
what's the crack here?
I got an offer ages ago, from Hull, for 300 points, but the prospectus says 260-280.
zdo0o
I know that St. Georges Medical School, whose normal offer is AAAb, can go as low as BBC for those precise reasons.

Perhaps, but I was commenting on that specific course to which I replied :p:
Jakko247
Why so?
I've seen somebody with an offer of BBB to study law at Newcastle; because they were from an underpriviliged background the grade requirements were reduced by a grade each from AAA to BBB

:rolleyes:

That's just partners scheme and not for underprivileged people, just people who apply who are local and live in certain postcodes.

Latest

Trending

Trending