The Student Room Group

Switching degrees [from Biology to Psychology] PLEASE help

HI,

i have a conditional offer for Biology at UCL
i've realized that i really actually want to study psychology and gap year is not an option for me (dont have time/space to explain why)

but PLEASE ADVISE AND HELP

1. If I e-mail/call UCL and asked, would they consider my application and consider switching my offer for one for Psychology?
2. If they did consider me for Psychology, would they allow me to send in an alternate personal statement?
3. If they did consider me for Psychology, would they automatically retract my offer for Biology questioning my passion for it (and then if i dont get an offer for Psychology and lose my one for Biology..then im out of UCL entirely?)??
4. Is it even worth asking cuz UCL is so competitive for Psychology?

PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP
Reply 1
Glowing with Gratitude
HI,

i've realized that i really actually want to study psychology and gap year is not an option for me (dont have time/space to explain why)

1. If I e-mail/call UCL and asked, would they consider my application and consider switching my offer for one for Psychology? Possibly; the worst they can say is 'no'.
2. If they did consider me for Psychology, would they allow me to send in an alternate personal statement? They would probably insist on it.
3. If they did consider me for Psychology, would they automatically retract my offer for Biology questioning my passion for it (and then if i dont get an offer for Psychology and lose my one for Biology..then im out of UCL entirely?)?? Ask them
4. Is it even worth asking cuz UCL is so competitive for Psychology? Nothing ventured, nothing gained - assuming you have or are predicted at least the required grades and preferably better.

PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP
You need to be clear in your own mind as to why you want to switch. There's nothing to stop you from contacting them to make informal enquiries about the possibilities.
Reply 2
Glowing with Gratitude
HI,

1. If I e-mail/call UCL and asked, would they consider my application and consider switching my offer for one for Psychology?
2. If they did consider me for Psychology, would they allow me to send in an alternate personal statement?
3. If they did consider me for Psychology, would they automatically retract my offer for Biology questioning my passion for it (and then if i dont get an offer for Psychology and lose my one for Biology..then im out of UCL entirely?)??

PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP

The easiest and best thing to do would be to email UCL and ask them about it, because no one on TSR unless they have been in an identical situation will be able to help really. But you may want to take into a account that:

-Psychology requires 3A's (Doesn't matter if your predicted 3A's or higher though.)
-Psychology is as you say competitive and requires an interview at UCL (I don't know whether biology needs one or not)
-Psychology and Biology are significantly different. Why do you want to switch?

There is no harm in asking them though, it would probably be best to call them actually to explain, because as far as I know they can't just take back your offer for that.
Reply 3
Glowing with Gratitude
HI,

PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP

1. Yes, your application will be re-considered if you wish to switch your course.
2. You will probably have to send a new *short* personal statement if they ask for it. But I know in some cases, they don't need it.
3. If they reject your application for the new course, you will simply keep your current offer and I'm pretty sure about it. At least that's what an admission tutor at UCL told me when I tried to change my course.
4. Of course it is. There is no points doing a course which you don't like. However, I'd suggest you considering carefully because once your new offer is issued, I doubt you can switch back to Biology.
If you're sure you want to switch to psychology, ask them. The worst they can say is no.
The chances are relatively high that you will be able to switch once you are at the university.
Reply 6
Dairy Milky Chocolate
The chances are relatively high that you will be able to switch once you are at the university.
In fact, for competitive courses this is highly unlikely. The unis are well used to people trying this one on and many actively prevent it.

Latest

Trending

Trending