The Student Room Group
It's minimal - mostly rearranging formulae and some logs in the A2 part but nothing insurmountable :smile:
I'm currently doing As....there is very little, all of it so far is adding and subtracting....I assume you can do that :P:
No, you don't need A level Maths.
It's just what EVS said, just rearranging, dividing, multiplyin etc. + logs (though they will teach you this).. nothing complicated :smile:
Reply 4
Only rearranging in AS, there's a little more maths in A2 but as long as you were comfortable with GCSE maths you'll be fine. AS/A2 maths would obviously be an advantage but coming from someone who doesn't do A-level maths it isn't bad at all.
Reply 5
nothing to complex tbh just GCSE math skills used in As so far anyhow
Reply 6
EierVonSatan
It's minimal - mostly rearranging formulae and some logs in the A2 part but nothing insurmountable :smile:

There's really logs in A2 Chemistry? In what context? :smile:
Small123
There's really logs in A2 Chemistry? In what context? :smile:

Acid-base stuffs, the definition of pH is pH = - log [H+] for example :smile:
Reply 8
i would say there is quite a lot of maths in chemistry, but its relatively simple because all u need to know is how to use an equation and substitute in to it which is all learnt at gcse, plus learning set methods....no u definitely dont need to do AS maths to be able to do it, as AS maths is completely different to the maths bit in chem, think ull be fine :smile:
Reply 9
EierVonSatan
Acid-base stuffs, the definition of pH is pH = - log [H+] for example :smile:

Wow, how interesting thanks! Another reason for me to do Chemistry A2 :p:.
Reply 10
Not a lot. Just rearranging formulas, and calculating percentages really.
Some of the maths in A2 can throw people who haven't done maths for a year - but they expect that and everything is taught to you right from basics so as long as you're reasonably intelligent (as I assume you are since you want to take chemistry) it is quite easy to pick up. It's not new stuff, just people who dropped maths are rather out of practice with it. It's not hard to pick it up again though.
For A2 there's a fair bit of maths in one section, but nothing too complex; stuff you can easily do at GCSE. The only thing is logs, but you don't really need to understand it to be able to substitute in [H+] into pH = -log(10)[H+]
You don't need A level Maths, but a good grounding in GCSE Maths is nice to have for the calculations. If you're doing well in GCSE Maths now, you'll be fine
Reply 14
The only bit of maths that isn't GCSE is in A2 Chemistry and it's not hard at all, you will be told how to do it. It just involves pressing a log button on your calculator, no understanding of the actual mathematics is required.
Reply 15
AS Maths is pretty helpful for A level chemistry but that's about it. C1 pretty much covers all the maths you'd need to know bar some log stuff lol

Latest