The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Panda146

i think unis are not as concerned about GCSE grades as they are A-level

:no: that's sadly not the case for MANY medical schools
Marlene Dietrich
I often wish to be a mathematician/physicist .....and I used to have fantasies about being a pilot or architect.

but my brain + calculus/numeracy = fail

thus I have accepted to admire the philosophy of mathematics from a far....

You have to accept your inadequacies - life lesson #1

If she wants to be a doctor to help the sick tell her to go into nursing

strange this is how i view maths/engineering.physics etc,
i chose not to go down that path but i respect anyone who is good at maths and detest anyone who asks "why are we even learning this anyway??" :sigh: that attitude towards maths..

unfortunately i had to leave maths at AS, got a B and i am frickin happy with it :p:
9a3iqa
You don't agree? You're not being realistic missy :nah:

Whilst I don't think in this case the girl can make it as a doctor, I don't get why you hate girls so much? Did a big scary girly beat you up when you were an ickle boy or something? Good lord
Reply 83
Holly Hiskey
Whilst I don't think in this case the girl can make it as a doctor, I don't get why you hate girls so much? Did a big scary girly beat you up when you were an ickle boy or something? Good lord

I hate girls? Don't be ridiculous!
9a3iqa
I hate girls? Don't be ridiculous!

Oh I'm sorry, I must have got that impression from the numerous posts in which you talk about women being unable to do any job that is not cooking or cleaning as well as just being generally insulting.
if you want to help her tutor her.

if not, she will learn on her own that she is not good enough in time.

but lets face it ahe could fail all exam and still do GEP.
Holly Hiskey
Oh I'm sorry, I must have got that impression from the numerous posts in which you talk about women being unable to do any job that is not cooking or cleaning as well as just being generally insulting.

Your supporting his views by usins a pair of strawberries as avatars, what next a rolling pin and collander?:biggrin:
JordanCarroll
strange this is how i view maths/engineering.physics etc,
i chose not to go down that path but i respect anyone who is good at maths and detest anyone who asks "why are we even learning this anyway??" :sigh: that attitude towards maths..

unfortunately i had to leave maths at AS, got a B and i am frickin happy with it :p:

....indeed lets pause for some loving of the maths

*ahhhh*
Marlene Dietrich
....indeed lets pause for some loving of the maths

*ahhhh*

*ahhhh* :rolleyes:
ZOMG!
Sorry this is long... Feel free to skim. :p:

I have a friend who wants to do medicine but the thing is... she isn't very good at science and I suspect she is doing it for the wrong reasons aswell.

She does additional science at GCSE and resat the entire of the last module (Chem. Phys and Bio) in order to improve her grade (I think she got Ds) and her resit results? Those same Ds but this time they brought a U along with them :frown:

She was upset about this as she thought the exam went well... it obviously didn't. She told me she revised a lot aswell... I made no comment. She's also said she can't afford to fail science because everyone in her family does medicine and so should she. This is when I started to think she wasn't doing it for the right reasons.

I don't think she can survive A level science, if she can't manage to scrape a B GCSE! I tried to make her think about other subjects she was good at but she won't have it, she says she isn't good at anything (she's mainly a C/D grade student, which okay because a C = a pass but for medicine? I dunno if that's going to get her anywhere :confused: ).

I'm really not trying to bash her here. I'm just concerned, I don't want her to get her hopes up or find herself stuggling with A level science (which I'm 99% sure she will). I don't want her to waste her options!

Is there any advice I can give her? I've heard about foundation medicine courses or something like that... Or are here grades too low for this? Shall I just leave her to it? Or continue to try and pursuade her to do something else?

(gosh, I hope I didn't just sound like a complete bitch.)

She is goin to be miserable..she will not survive medicine....tbh
Reply 90
The Harlequinn Mask
She doesn't sound like Medicine material to me. She might be under pressure from her family to be a doctor.

Maybe she should focus herself more in English literature, or social sciences. It's better she figures this out now rather than later once she's failed her A levels and has to take a third or fourth year to sort herself out.

LOL. Medicine material, GCSEs, A levels.

The sad thing is, in the real world, no-one gives a toss.
Wangers
LOL. Medicine material, GCSEs, A levels.

Yeah practically anyone can get a job in this day and age.

But that's not what we are talking about, we are talking about university, this person doesn't want to just go and get a job, they want to go to Med School. And it's a different ball game all together.
Reply 92
Wangers

That's a good thing :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending