The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
we have a junior and senior organ scholar at the moment, the junior one coming in the year after the senior one. but some colleges leave a years gap. depends on quality of applicants i guess
RxB
Depends on the college. I think the most common is awarding it 2 years out of 3 (so there's always a conductor and an organist)

Yes, all colleges in cambridge are 2 years out of three (excpt for the ones that don't have organs.

MB
Reply 22
priya
we have a junior and senior organ scholar at the moment, the junior one coming in the year after the senior one. but some colleges leave a years gap. depends on quality of applicants i guess

No, it's just that they can only have two organ scholars at any one time. So we had:
2002-3: The man whose name I've forgotten (3rd year) and Cathy (1st year)
2003-4: Cathy (2nd year) and Sam (1st year)
2004-5: Cathy (3rd year) and Sam (2nd year)
2005-6: Sam (3rd year) and incoming organ scholar (1st year).

So it doesn't depend on the quality of the applicants and there isn't a policy of having a year's gap - it's just a case of admitting a new organ scholar as and when one is needed (i.e. when the senior organ scholar graduates).
what happens if you put both down on your UCAS form? would UCAS automatically pick one for you?
Reply 24
schizophrenic
what happens if you put both down on your UCAS form? would UCAS automatically pick one for you?

given it's electronic now - it might just render it invalid?
& they might add in big bold red on the top of your forms they send to every uni you apply to - 'reject - idiot who cannot read & follow instructions' :wink:

or the interviews would clash anyway & you'd have to make a choice?

there are plenty of ox v. cam threads here if you can't chose between them so far.. or if you've suddenly decided to apply this Oct - there are online prospectuses & some last minute open days/info days in September i think. :smile:
Reply 25
Elles
given it's electronic now - it might just render it invalid?
& they might add in big bold red on the top of your forms they send to every uni you apply to - 'reject - idiot who cannot read & follow instructions' :wink:

or the interviews would clash anyway & you'd have to make a choice?

there are plenty of ox v. cam threads here if you can't chose between them so far.. or if you've suddenly decided to apply this Oct - there are online prospectuses & some last minute open days/info days in September i think. :smile:

You know I held offers from both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year and I'm not even an organ scholar but then, as always, I am the exception that proves the rule.
Reply 26
how did you manage that?
Reply 27
homoterror
how did you manage that?

With the aid of guile the like of which you can't imagine. I am smarter than the average bear.
Reply 28
matthew
You know I held offers from both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year and I'm not even an organ scholar but then..

you do know that 'might' is not a definitive word, comments ending in a '?' are not factual statements & ' :wink: ' normally indicates a joke?

alas no, i didn't know that *you* did, i obviously don't know you...

as always, I am the exception that proves the rule.

..sure i must be missing out there. :redface:
Reply 29
Elles
you do know that 'might' is not a definitive word, comments ending in a '?' are not factual statements & ' :wink: ' normally indicates a joke?

alas no, i didn't know that *you* did, i obviously don't know you...

..sure i must be missing out there. :redface:

If you have been at Oxford at any time in the past 4 years you should know who I am.
Reply 30
matthew
You know I held offers from both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year and I'm not even an organ scholar but then, as always, I am the exception that proves the rule.

It's quite common if you're a grad student.
Reply 31
Matthew Richardson - "Oxford Engineering Graduate and Barrister in training".

doesn't ring any particular bells, although i'm sure i could do an Ox gossip search if i wanted enlightenment. or ask someone who probably moved more in your circles. or you could give us all a quick summary of why you're so important & i should know who you are?

but then i generally count people i 'know' as those i would consider friends or acquaintances that i've actually spoken to call me old-fashioned & unambitious.. :p:
Reply 32
d750
It's quite common if you're a grad student.

I wasn't one of those either.
Reply 33
Elles
Matthew Richardson - "Oxford Engineering Graduate and Barrister in training".

doesn't ring any particular bells, although i'm sure i could do an Ox gossip search if i wanted enlightenment. or ask someone who probably moved more in your circles.

I am sure that you will see my name in the "Credits" for Ox Gossip, given that I founded it.
Reply 34
matthew
With the aid of guile the like of which you can't imagine. I am smarter than the average bear.

So did you apply to an individual college? I remember hearing about someone who did that (perhaps you, I suppose)
Reply 35
matthew
I am sure that you will see my name in the "Credits" for Ox Gossip, given that I founded it.

goodness, how could i not know that? especially given how oxford gossip has so enriched my life & that of most students in the 'past 4 years' at oxford, no doubt. you are indeed a very special person, evidently.
Reply 36
Elles
goodness, how could i not know that? especially given how oxford gossip has so enriched my life & that of most students in the 'past 4 years' at oxford, no doubt. you are indeed a very special person, evidently.

In fact I am off to dinner this evening with the moderators for the OxGoss 2nd birthday party. Which should be a lovely time.
Reply 37
matthew

So we have you to thank. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Nobber go stroke your ego somewhere else! Has the absence of any threads about you in the last few months on OxGoss driven you to such despair you're now trying to start them on here?
Reply 39
Wow, an internet party. Fantastically cool :wink:

Latest