The Student Room Group

What do you think about the sheep/human hybrid story?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sheep-gives-birth-to-human-faced-lamb/story-e6freuy9-1225819071357

Above is a very disturbing link I found the other day and I just found it really scary. In fact, I had weird dreams about it like people giving birth to sheep and sheep giving birth to people.

Questions
Do you think that hybridisation is a good thing? Should it be encouraged for human benefit or is it something that is clearly wrong?

Tell me your thoughts. Sorry if this is like a week old story and I'm bringing it up now...

And sorry if I put this is the wrong section or whatever I don't know where I should put it... it seemed like a pretty general thing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"The governor of the province where the ugly goat was born said that the little goat was the fruit of unnatural relationship between the female goat and a man"

ROFL.
I was assuming this was going to be a Welsh story.
Reply 3
OceanInTheSky
I was assuming this was going to be a Welsh story.

LOL
Is this real? If so :eek:
Reply 6
Well having wool would certainly keep heating bills down in the winter....
Reply 7
Probably fake too be honest.
Reply 8
oh my lord
Reply 9
Zoob1
Probably fake too be honest.

Yeah ok let's assume this is not fake because to be honest, it is not entirely out of the realms of possibility is it?
What has a mutated sheep got to do with hybridisation?

You do know it isn't actually a sheep/human hybrid, right? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't even see how it's even meant to look like a person. It just looks like a sheep with a squished face to me. :dontknow:
play_fetch
Yeah ok let's assume this is not fake because to be honest, it is not entirely out of the realms of possibility is it?

Yes. Sheep have a different DNA make up to humans so it would be impossible for the sperm to fertilise the egg. Don't know the full details but it was something we learnt about in GCSE Science.
play_fetch

It is out of the realms of possibility.

We have 23 chromosome pairs and sheep have 27. During fertilisation that simply cannot work.

It's just a mutant sheep.
Reply 13
play_fetch
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sheep-gives-birth-to-human-faced-lamb/story-e6freuy9-1225819071357

Above is a very disturbing link I found the other day and I just found it really scary. In fact, I had weird dreams about it like people giving birth to sheep and sheep giving birth to people.

Questions
Do you think that hybridisation is a good thing? Should it be encouraged for human benefit or is it something that is clearly wrong?

Tell me your thoughts. Sorry if this is like a week old story and I'm bringing it up now...

And sorry if I put this is the wrong section or whatever I don't know where I should put it... it seemed like a pretty general thing.

there is no hybridisation of any kind. it's just a mutation.
Reply 14
It was just a mutation for goodness sake.
Reply 15
is it a man, is it a sheep, NO ITS THE INCREDIBLE SHEEP MAN!!

that would be pretty messed up not sure why anyone would do that.
bringing a whole new meaning to a 'sheepish grin'
Reply 17
heidigirl
What has a mutated sheep got to do with hybridisation?

You do know it isn't actually a sheep/human hybrid, right? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't even see how it's even meant to look like a person. It just looks like a sheep with a squished face to me. :dontknow:

I know that yes but it has been suggested is all I am saying. In the articles this is what is suggested I am not saying this is true I am simply trying to get everyone's thoughts about it.

I'm saying, what if, a human and a sheep... freaky? eh?
Reply 18
Trigger
It was just a mutation for goodness sake.

Oh come on! Little bit of imagination and sport about it...

Human sheep! WOO! lol

Maybe a single protein changing produced it, maybe.. but that's a bit less interesting than a sheepman. The papers agree. Clearly.
Reply 19
death_on_the_stairs
Yes. Sheep have a different DNA make up to humans so it would be impossible for the sperm to fertilise the egg. Don't know the full details but it was something we learnt about in GCSE Science.

Interbreeding is prevented by specific proteins on the a species sperm and egg cells, if they don't recognise each other they wont fertilise. I'm not sure how many are involved but as far as I am aware, should the right mutations take place there is no reason why it couldn't happen, just very unlikely as it would have to happen in both species. However it is possible these mutations would result in them being not being viable to reproduce.

Latest