The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy Work Experience

Hiya

I'm going to apply to do Occupational Therapy for September 2011 (I am going to college next year). I work in the NHS at the moment as an administrator but work really close with OTs, Physios and Nurses. I have managed to get experience for a day or 2 working in mainstream schools doing childrens OT and when my job calms down they have agreed for me to go on visits with the clinical staff.

I just wanted to check how much experience most people have to apply to do...well any health related course. I would hate to apply and be rejected due to that reason. I will try and get more experience but most places fill quite fast.

My first choice will be Southampton, I don't know how strict they are so if someone could give me some feedback I would appreciate it.

Reply 1
I'd say find out what the university expect you to do and then double that! To get on our dietetics degree we had to visit one department, but I was so determined to get a place that I managed to get placement for half a day a week over about six months. If I wasn't successful with that I would have tried to visit at least 4 departments in my area, rather than just one. These courses are so competitive you have to stand out with your application. But your background sounds like it will be helpful when you apply. Good luck x
Reply 2
whatareyoulookingat
Hiya

I'm going to apply to do Occupational Therapy for September 2011 (I am going to college next year). I work in the NHS at the moment as an administrator but work really close with OTs, Physios and Nurses. I have managed to get experience for a day or 2 working in mainstream schools doing childrens OT and when my job calms down they have agreed for me to go on visits with the clinical staff.

I just wanted to check how much experience most people have to apply to do...well any health related course. I would hate to apply and be rejected due to that reason. I will try and get more experience but most places fill quite fast.

My first choice will be Southampton, I don't know how strict they are so if someone could give me some feedback I would appreciate it.

Hi,

I'm hoping to apply for OT at Southampton for 2011. Did you manage to find any work experience? I sent an email to the local OT team, and I'm hoping to shadow someone or just to visit for a chat.
Hi

Sorry I haven't been on here in months. I've done the work experience I mentioned and once I get my college timetable I'm going to try for care homes and more community OT placements...and maybe on a different ward in a hospital.
Have you heard anything back?
Your expected to visit at least one OT department, but on my course (OT at coventry) there were people who had no experience in OT at all and still go onto the course.
Reply 5
whatareyoulookingat
Hi

Sorry I haven't been on here in months. I've done the work experience I mentioned and once I get my college timetable I'm going to try for care homes and more community OT placements...and maybe on a different ward in a hospital.
Have you heard anything back?

That's ok, I'm not a regular visitor either. I didn't get a reply, but then I didn't chase them as I became distracted by family life. My daughter is starting school next week so I'm going to get back in contact, and chase them up. I'm also applying for support worker type jobs which will hopefully give me some suitable work experience in a related field.
Reply 6
Hello there!

I've just graduated with a degree completely unrelated to healthcare but I am interested in entering the healthcare profession, particularly occupational therapy, possibly nursing.

I would like to gain work experience in an OT setting, and I was wondering how best to go about it? Should I just contact OT teams within local hospitals? There's a directory of OT's in my area, but I'm not sure if it would be too invasive contacting people without them having any clue who I am and asking for opportunities to shadow them at work?

I'm mostly looking for 1-2 day work placements/shadowing for the time being, so any tips on how I could obtain those would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Jabawocci
Hello there!

I've just graduated with a degree completely unrelated to healthcare but I am interested in entering the healthcare profession, particularly occupational therapy, possibly nursing.

I would like to gain work experience in an OT setting, and I was wondering how best to go about it? Should I just contact OT teams within local hospitals? There's a directory of OT's in my area, but I'm not sure if it would be too invasive contacting people without them having any clue who I am and asking for opportunities to shadow them at work?

I'm mostly looking for 1-2 day work placements/shadowing for the time being, so any tips on how I could obtain those would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou :smile:

Ring/email/write to all the OTs in your area, NHS and private, and you're sure to find someone who will allow you to shadow them. They can always say no, but they definitely won't mind you asking! Usually shadowing is just for a morning/afternoon, as they reserve the long placements for students, but you might be able to get a few occasional mornings at the same place.

Quick Reply

Latest