The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
TwentyTen
For mature students here, which would you rather do....?

Business Management at age 20 (first year)

or

Chemical Engineering at age 21 (first year)

:smile:

I'd do Chemical Engineering as BSc and work in the industry for a few years (three is enough) and then do an MBA.

IMHO there are far too many undergraduate "managers" around.

IMHO you'd be better off being technically competent and business aware.
Reply 261
TwentyTen
For mature students here, which would you rather do....?

Business Management at age 20 (first year)

or

Chemical Engineering at age 21 (first year)

:smile:

Chemical Engineering, but thats because Business bores me to tears :rolleyes:

Is this a case of needing extra study to get into Chemical Engineering so you wonder whether you should do Business as you can get into that right away?

Don't let waiting a year put you off, another year at age 20 is nothing, doing what you really want is most important.
Reply 262
Hi, I'm Lizzie....

I am 23 and will be starting at Roehampton Uni, in September- studying for a degree in Religious Studies & Theology.

I left school at 16 with 10 A grade GCSE's and to my parents despair I basically did nothing for 3 years....went to different colleges, tried different courses....and could not decide what I wanted to do.

Until I started a job in a busy call centre in bristol- great money, but absolutly no other incentives.....so 2 years down the line I got myself onto an open uni course, and contacted my old secondary school and offered myself as a voluntary teaching assistant.

After stressing over my personal statement, I applied via UCAS, and to my amazement got 5 offers.....have picked Roehampton because I want to be in London (and lots of other 'important' reasons).

I have applied to stay in halls which is my main worry- as I havent opted for mature accomodation. Has anyone else done this? Or has enyone been in this situation before?.....

Overall I am ridiculously excited, but there is worrying voice in me saying I wont make any friends.....

Good Luck to everyone!
I'm Lewis and i have had a conditional from UWE to study Mechanical engineering full time in Sept. Has been a manic year taking My BTEC NC, AS maths and GCSE English but am just about on top of it.

I'm 25 soon and hope there will be many students at least over 20 to make friends with. This being especially important as i am planning to stay in the halls at lest for the 1st year and hope i can live with some 20somethings ideally.
Hi im Luke Baker and I am going to be studying computer science, I am currently taking an Access course in IT. I have recieved decisions from all of my choices and they are as follows.

UCL - Decline
Brunel - Conditional
Queen Mary's - Conditional
City - Conditional
KCL - Conditional

KCL is my top choice, they just want a pass at level 3 with distinctions in all maths modules.
Luke.Baker
Hi im Luke Baker and I am going to be studying computer science, I am currently taking an Access course in IT. I have recieved decisions from all of my choices and they are as follows.

UCL - Decline
Brunel - Conditional
Queen Mary's - Conditional
City - Conditional
KCL - Conditional

KCL is my top choice, they just want a pass at level 3 with distinctions in all maths modules.

Hey Luke,

Well done mate; best of luck:smile:
kostas24
business studies (Aberdeen,Stirling,Glasgow,Strathclyde,Heriot Watt) :smile:

Thank you

I did my honours at Stirling, the grounds and campus are beautiful in the summer and Stirling is very historic, although the nightlife is a bit rubbish (but that may only be because I lived there all my life!) Very friendly though and they are usually pretty flexible, and supportive. Stirling has good reputation, although I'm not sure about course rankings, I did computer science, graduated in 2004 and it was pretty good then.

I stay in Glasgow at the moment and have done for 5 years, Glasgow's great, night life, people, and of course its big but not too big that you will get lost.
Is it Glasgow Uni you have applied for? Glasgow uni is one of the best Uni's in Britain, although can be quite strict i've heard. Strathclyde is pretty good too, a bit more relaxed that Glasgow but still up there.

I find Edinburgh to be a bit boring to be honest, but coming from Scotland your either a Glasgow fan or an Edinburgh fan, I would advise that visit if possibly can and get a feel for the cities....as for Aberdeen I've never been but got a couple of mate that have moved down here from Edinburgh.....

I'm hopefully gonna be off to London for my second time round at uni.....I must be mad!

Hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Reply 267
Just heard from Queen Mary's - was unsuccessful due to 'increased competition for places'.

Boooo!
Hi, I'm Verity!! I've just turned 21 :biggrin: I'm going to University of Chichester to study Childhood Studies: Early years!! :biggrin: Went to uni when I was 18 to do LD Nursing but gave it up after a year as It wasn't what I really wanted, Have been working for nearly 2 years and am now ready to go back!! :smile:
Reply 269
Hey all,
I'm 23 and going back to uni to study medicine with foundation year! It's a bit daunting as it's a 6 year course. My worry is that im going to Keele and will have to live in halls, currently hoping that i'm not going to be put with all excitable 18 year olds and feel old....
Reply 270
I'm going to be studying for a long time too as I'm doing foundation year followed hopefully by 4 year MMath degree. A few years ago I was meant to start this but didn't at the last minute as I saw it as only a means to an end and it was a long time to get through to be able to get going on a career. Now I see it as actually my life. I'll be in no hurry to pass these 5 years by.

Not everyone going to uni is only 18 now so you have the possibility to be living with other mature students. Even if the worst comes to the worst and you don't like your flatmates there's plenty of other places to meet people.
Reply 271
Bella1212
Hey all,
I'm 23 and going back to uni to study medicine with foundation year! It's a bit daunting as it's a 6 year course. My worry is that im going to Keele and will have to live in halls, currently hoping that i'm not going to be put with all excitable 18 year olds and feel old....

Hey Bella, I'm going to be 21 by the time I go to uni, I'm going to Keele too! I've already been to uni once, I hated it and dropped out after two months. I'm worried about excitable 18 year olds as well, but I figure if we're living with that many people in halls, there's got to be some people we get on with :smile:
Reply 272
Mijdge
Hey Bella, I'm going to be 21 by the time I go to uni, I'm going to Keele too! I've already been to uni once, I hated it and dropped out after two months. I'm worried about excitable 18 year olds as well, but I figure if we're living with that many people in halls, there's got to be some people we get on with :smile:

Hey, what did you hate about your first time at uni? I picked a course entirely wrong for me, I knew that at the start but it was my dream, I just needed to realise that my dream wasn't possible unless I completely changed who I was.
Reply 273
stainboy
I'm going to be studying for a long time too as I'm doing foundation year followed hopefully by 4 year MMath degree. A few years ago I was meant to start this but didn't at the last minute as I saw it as only a means to an end and it was a long time to get through to be able to get going on a career. Now I see it as actually my life. I'll be in no hurry to pass these 5 years by.

Similar to what I will be doing but different location - University of Liverpool, Mathematical Sciences with Foundation Year.
I was given the option of going straight to year 1, but opted for year 0 after being away from education for so long. Plus there are some optional modules in engineering/computing which will be interesting. Plenty of courses to choose from after year 0, single or joint honours. No plans for what to do after the four year course, this is just what I want to do for now.

I'm one of the true oldies - 44!
nonnibear
Congrats! I'm really concerned about being 'old'. I'm 28 so I'll be about ten years older than the majority of students! I'm sure we'll be okay though!

Have you got a plan for when you finish? Do you want to do an LPC?

Im hoping to go on to the LPC! what about you??
Reply 275
stainboy
Hey, what did you hate about your first time at uni? I picked a course entirely wrong for me, I knew that at the start but it was my dream, I just needed to realise that my dream wasn't possible unless I completely changed who I was.

I hated the course, the location (it was 200 miles away from home), the fact that I followed my then boyfriend (BAD IDEA!) and that the uni was appallingly run. I did know that it wasn't right for me, and as I've loved Keele ever since I started applying for uni nearly 4 years ago (Third time lucky, I'm hoping!) I thought I'd finally go with my gut instinct.
Dairy Milky Chocolate
University of Manchester is "hard" to get into.

Manchester Metropolitan is easy to get into, they'll let anyone in, comparatively.

Not quite true friend of mine had an interview for the LLB at mmu and they turned him down bit city have just accepted him so i guess its not that easy?!
Reply 277
I guess I'm a mature student at 27.. although I try not to think about it too much :smile:

I should be starting my masters course in September.. and am tackling some open university modules as a starting point to return to studying, as I have free time from now to September.

My aim is when I start the masters.. I'll have taught myself how to study again.
Reply 278
Victoria2406
Im hoping to go on to the LPC! what about you??

Yeah, hopefully, well, thats the current plan but apparently they're 2 years behind on training contracts to need to make sure that I've got a fairly good prospect of getting a job afterwards. I'm sure it'll all be fine 9head in the clouds!).
Reply 279
I am 21 and I will be probably be joining Strathclyde for MSc Investment and Finance
P.s - I am from Dubai.

Quick Reply

Latest