The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Hi,

I am 27, and will be joing uni this sept. Still deciding btwn Msc in Information Systems (Sheffield) and MSc in Adv Computer Sc and It Mgmt (Manchester). It wont be easy returning to studies after 5 years of work :frown: .. but I am pretty excited.. atleast it makes u feel younger being in college ..:wink: ..

Cheers,
Arnab
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if there are any so-called mature students in TSR planning to go to Glasgow Uni in September?

I've never thought of myself as mature before :biggrin: got a bit of a shock when reading up on accommodation the other day, I was seeing comments such as "don't go there, it's full of foreigners and old people" took me a couple of seconds to realise that I'm both! :biggrin: hah!

So if there are any other geriatrics (ie over 20) heading to Glasgow, I'd be very happy to hear from you :wink:

Best of luck to everyone!
Reply 302
somestupidname
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if there are any so-called mature students in TSR planning to go to Glasgow Uni in September?

I've never thought of myself as mature before :biggrin: got a bit of a shock when reading up on accommodation the other day, I was seeing comments such as "don't go there, it's full of foreigners and old people" took me a couple of seconds to realise that I'm both! :biggrin: hah!

So if there are any other geriatrics (ie over 20) heading to Glasgow, I'd be very happy to hear from you :wink:

Best of luck to everyone!

I am probably going to Glasgow Uni this September. I am a foreigner but I am young - well I am 21, but young for a Masters degree.

What you planning to study?
Hello! Good to hear from a fellow oldie :wink:

Not sure you go under the heading of mature student if you're doing a masters...wouldn't that make you a normal post grad student? :smile: And sorry to rain on your parade but, according to the straight-from-school kids, you are indeed well and truly over the hill at 21 :wink: I'm 28, and planning to stay in student accommodation, not because I want to ruin the fun of all the younguns, but simply because I have no choice :smile: doing psych with French. Really looking forward to starting actually.

What's the masters in? And where are you from? :smile:
Oops! :smile: I've just realised we've all got flags! :biggrin: Nifty.
Reply 305
somestupidname
Hello! Good to hear from a fellow oldie :wink:

Not sure you go under the heading of mature student if you're doing a masters...wouldn't that make you a normal post grad student? :smile: And sorry to rain on your parade but, according to the straight-from-school kids, you are indeed well and truly over the hill at 21 :wink: I'm 28, and planning to stay in student accommodation, not because I want to ruin the fun of all the younguns, but simply because I have no choice :smile: doing psych with French. Really looking forward to starting actually.

What's the masters in? And where are you from? :smile:

Well I have something to worry about when I think of "fitting in". On the other you have nothing to worry about, since you'd find lots of people of your age.

Oh well, I just want to get done with education as soon as possible (the reason of me doing masters at this age).

I am planning to do MFin International Finance and yeah you probably noticed the Flag. I am from Dubai.
Haris.gul
Well I have something to worry about when I think of "fitting in". On the other you have nothing to worry about, since you'd find lots of people of your age.

Oh well, I just want to get done with education as soon as possible (the reason of me doing masters at this age).

I am planning to do MFin International Finance and yeah you probably noticed the Flag. I am from Dubai.

Ah well, unfortunately, I haven't a clue about finance (I still count on my fingers :smile: ) but don't worry, you'll make plenty of friends. i've heard that glasgow is a really cool city so make sure you enjoy student life while your getting it over and done with :wink:

Best of luck with your course!
Reply 307
somestupidname
Ah well, unfortunately, I haven't a clue about finance (I still count on my fingers :smile: ) but don't worry, you'll make plenty of friends. i've heard that glasgow is a really cool city so make sure you enjoy student life while your getting it over and done with :wink:

Best of luck with your course!

Thanks, you too.
Hi to all,

Well I must beat all the oldies on the age front - Im 40 this year!

I'm off to Marjon to do the Sports Coaching foundation degree. From there - hopefully a Sports Therapy BSC and then onto Masters, in fact if I can have it my way I think I will spend the rest of my working life in academia as I have worked since I was 16, been a lecturer in adult Education & Training for the last 10 years and have now decided I want to do something for me.
I'm actually quite lucky as my wife, who is 26, is also giving up her career in a public service post to return to university as well so it makes travelling a lot easier. Both going to Marjons in Plymouth and the college site is fantastic and faclilities amazing with all the recent investment into resources.

I hope to meet some of you there!:smile:
Reply 309
I think I have you beat youngster I am 43 and I am off to Bristol to do an MA in Law degree. This will be my fourth degree, so I have been shuttling in and out of academia, for most of my adult life, both in the US and the UK.

Anybody else going to Bristol doing law as a mature student?
Reply 310
dysuldalleth
Hi to all,

Well I must beat all the oldies on the age front - Im 40 this year!

I'm off to Marjon to do the Sports Coaching foundation degree. From there - hopefully a Sports Therapy BSC and then onto Masters, in fact if I can have it my way I think I will spend the rest of my working life in academia as I have worked since I was 16, been a lecturer in adult Education & Training for the last 10 years and have now decided I want to do something for me.
I'm actually quite lucky as my wife, who is 26, is also giving up her career in a public service post to return to university as well so it makes travelling a lot easier. Both going to Marjons in Plymouth and the college site is fantastic and faclilities amazing with all the recent investment into resources.

I hope to meet some of you there!:smile:

Hey, I'm in Newton Abbot too! :biggrin:
Reply 311
I'm in my late 30s and have just accepted an offer from SOAS for an undergraduate degree, I'm s***ing myself that I'm going to be mistaken for the lecturer in every class ! I'm really not looking forward to it! but I love Arabic too much to turn down a once in a lifetime offer like this...
Reply 312
Hello to all my fellow pensioners!

Im 24 , going to LJMU to study English. I'm slightly worried about fitting in with all the school leavers (and noise/partying etc). Any other mature students have this problem?
Reply 313
MrEnglish
I'm in my late 30s and have just accepted an offer from SOAS for an undergraduate degree, I'm s***ing myself that I'm going to be mistaken for the lecturer in every class ! I'm really not looking forward to it! but I love Arabic too much to turn down a once in a lifetime offer like this...

I'm concerned about the same thing. I'm 31 and going to be doing Philosophy at Heythrop (UoL) and living in halls. Even though I look young for my age I still look older than someone who is 18 and will die a little bit inside if someone thinks I'm their lecturer or some random staff member.
Reply 314
I am heading off to university in September at the age of 28, will be starting a photography degree in year 0 so am guessing I will be the oldest one there by a few years. Spent 10 years in the same job and decided it was time for a change, I don't want to be stuck in an office for the rest of my life.
sheet

Im 24 , going to LJMU to study English. I'm slightly worried about fitting in with all the school leavers (and noise/partying etc). Any other mature students have this problem?

Hey, I'm also 24 and also going to study English but at Sussex. This is my second attempt at an English degree and I was told that I looked quite mature even when I was the same age as everyone else so I'm also a bit worried about fitting in this time around.
Reply 316
Hi All,

Anyone doing Nursing Studies (Learning Disability) at the Uni of Hudds starting in September?

I am! Whoop!
Reply 317
I am 31 and going to do Geography and Environmental Management at the University of Central Lancashire in September! Really excited about the new challenges ahead and not particulalry worried about the age thing as there seem to be increasing numbers of mature students nowadays!
Reply 318
sheet

Hi, i'll be 22 when i start ljmu in september (doing the business and public relations degree)
I actually feel quite old to be starting now as all my school friends have just graduated! But i'm not really worried as there are more and more mature students these days (it seems wierd being called mature at my age lol :smile:
Reply 319
Emmajw10
Hi, i'll be 22 when i start ljmu in september (doing the business and public relations degree)
I actually feel quite old to be starting now as all my school friends have just graduated! But i'm not really worried as there are more and more mature students these days (it seems wierd being called mature at my age lol :smile:

Its okay. I am 21 and I am going to be doing Masters in Finance. Have to fight the odds of "fitting in".

Quick Reply

Latest