The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
aruwen

I can't believe some of you have had to go for interviews - I'm the only one on my access course (out of maybe 40) to get an offer, never had an interview, but I have determination and have studied on and off with the OU for years, so I guess that's helped my application.

My course has an interview because it's so competitive. There's only about 30 places available max at the universities which offer it (it's not offered at that many places) and there's something like 10-20 applicants for each place. Plus, it's NHS funded so that means that it appeals to a lot of people who don't even particularly want to be in that vocation, they just like the idea of a free degree so the admissions tutors need to check that the applicant really does want to be a therapist.
Hiyerrr.

I'm 24, will be turning 25 a couple of months into my first year.

On an Access Course right now. Applied to Manchester, Manchester Met, Uni of Nottingham, Lincoln and York St. John to English Lit and American studies. Sent of my UCAS on the 13th Jan, got a Conditional from Lincoln the day of the extended deadline and haven't heard from anywhere else yet! :frown: I really, really want to get into Manchester but I'm not very optimistic right now.
Reply 22
Good luck everyone!! I didn't realise just how many "mature" students there were, it's really reassuring :biggrin:

Still have heard anything :s-smilie: It's driving me mad!
Reply 23
I'm 41 this year. I applied only to Durham. Even if i get an offer I still have to sort out funding so there will be more waiting to come.
LooCee
Hiya Emma. Some of the university websites list open university credits as a means of entry, on some I've seen that a 60 point level 1 course is enough to get entry. I don't know whether a few courses totalling 60 points counts in the same way, but you can always email and ask! I emailed the universities I applied for before I put in my application to check that I met their entry requirements as they're different for mature students!

You've applied to 2 of the same universities as me! Do you have a favourite and are you planning to live away from home?

I'm planning to commute and Manchester will mean I will have to move. Westminister and Anglia are my top choices.

I have applied for foundation for Westminister as they told me that I wouldnt be able to get on the 3 year course, but i've just read on their website that the foundation is for people with no level 3 study?? so i'm now worrying that I have applied for an extra year I don't need? OMG this is just so confusing, it seems like everyone is saying something different all the time.

I got my confirmation from Manchester and the UEA yesturday, so I am hoping that it will not be too much longer before I find out if it's a yay or neigh.

Which of the two have you picked and what have subject you applied for?
oh sorry for the shocking spelling, ive been up since 3am with the baby and as a result my brain and fingers arn't working well togeather today lol
heidigirl
Hello! :hello:

I'm Jenny, I'm 22, I'm from the UK but I live in Switzerland and have done since I was sixteen. It was actually my little sister going to uni that made me realise I wanted to go too-but I had no idea what for until I had a bit of an epiphany and realised that while I'd always assumed I'd do something English related, that actually science was more my thing.

I'm studying science short courses with the OU at the moment. See my sig for where I've applied. I've applied for science foundation years (you have never seen anyone happier than me when I realised they existed!) and I want to go on to do molecular biology. It's been a bit of a shocking year to be honest, suddenly finding out I know exactly what I want to do (I want to work in molecular phylogenetics, preferably at the natural history museum but that bit is probably a bit of a pipe dream :rolleyes: Although I have found the perfect masters course for me which is run jointly with the NHM. :love: )

I applied the week before Christmas, Aber replied around the 9/1 and RHUL the same day, but didn't update on UCAS until a week later. Still to hear from Cardiff and Leeds (keeping fingers crossed for Cardiff but had a horrible dream where they rejected me last night...)

The unconditionals for Aber and RHUL have definitely come as a shock so far (and the admissions tutor at Aber sent me a handwritten note saying I was just the sort of person they wanted on the course :eek: ). Getting a rejection from QMUL was also a bit of a shock though, but first I was like :s-smilie: and now I'm just like this: :eviltongue:

:biggrin:

How's everyone feeling about going to uni? I thought I'd be nervous, but actually I'm just REALLY excited!!

hello there, I also had to take on some science short courses with the OU as on the of 30 point level 2 courses i'm doing doesnt finish until October'10 so I had to boost up the 30 points by doing some short courses, 3 in total to boost it up.

Which ones are you doing?
Reply 27
Hello, I'm Laura and will be 29 when / if I start. Ive applied to do the Social Work degree in Bournemouth. Application was sent January 15th and I've not heard anything back, which is annoying me as I want to know now!!

This is going to be a huge step for me as Ill be leaving my full time job to go to uni, and I’m a single parent of two lovely girls. In terms of being accepted well who knows! The last 5 years Ive worked in children’s Services, had allot of life experience and completed a level 3 in advice and guidance and a level 4 in learning development support services, which covers child protection etc. I’m also just starting my adult literacy and numeracy to get them up to a level 2 as well... So now I’m just hoping all the plans come together! My biggest worry is also getting my head around the finance side of things but I think I'm there, in terms of what Ive researched.

I just really want to speak to other single parents who have or are doing what I’m doing! :woo:

Anyway best of luck to everyone!
Hermione_moo
hello there, I also had to take on some science short courses with the OU as on the of 30 point level 2 courses i'm doing doesnt finish until October'10 so I had to boost up the 30 points by doing some short courses, 3 in total to boost it up.

I finished Human Genetics and Health Issues and Empire of the microbes (passed both, with all well achieved in the latter :biggrin:) in October, I've just submitted the assignments for Maths for Science and Molecules, medicines and drugs-won't know if I've passed them until March though. Oddly I really enjoyed the maths course. :eek:

Right now I've just got the material for Darwin and Evolution, and I'm meant to be also starting Elements of Forensic Science but can't really afford it this month so might have to wait until May to do it (depending on if and what sort of offer I might get from Cardiff or even whether I hear from them before the Feb last registration date). :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, Queen Mary's London didn't think this was enough science for a foundation year (despite that I know someone else with a-levels who got in with no science subjects) :dontknow:

ive just signed up for the human genetics and start in a couple of weeks :smile: and my other courses are:

maths for science
molecules, medicines and drugs
human biology (level2) and
biological pyschology (level2)

I cannot believe that Queen Mary's didn't think that was good enough, they must not know naything about the courses because they are harder then A level stuff, even the OU states on it's website about that.

Good luck with the uni offers :smile: I think some universities need to re-look into the way they grade and understand the OU courses
sel20red
Hello, I'm Laura and will be 29 when / if I start. Ive applied to do the Social Work degree in Bournemouth. Application was sent January 15th and I've not heard anything back, which is annoying me as I want to know now!!

This is going to be a huge step for me as Ill be leaving my full time job to go to uni, and I’m a single parent of two lovely girls. In terms of being accepted well who knows! The last 5 years Ive worked in children’s Services, had allot of life experience and completed a level 3 in advice and guidance and a level 4 in learning development support services, which covers child protection etc. I’m also just starting my adult literacy and numeracy to get them up to a level 2 as well... So now I’m just hoping all the plans come together! My biggest worry is also getting my head around the finance side of things but I think I'm there, in terms of what Ive researched.

I just really want to speak to other single parents who have or are doing what I’m doing! :woo:

Anyway best of luck to everyone!

I can't believe your making such a big step being a single mum, thats great and very brave. I also am doing my level 2 numeracy and literacy and have just started them.
I have 5 kids under 8, but I have a man (ok abit of a usless man) to help me when i need it.

Im a funeral director and embalmer, so like you leaving the job is going to be so difficult and very worrying, esp when things are so tight anyway. Like you I have done my maths and with some careful money spending, I think we will be ok.

This should all pay off and with some luck we shall be sat back in our new jobs in 5 years time thinking it was all worth it
Reply 31
Hermione_moo
I'm planning to commute and Manchester will mean I will have to move. Westminister and Anglia are my top choices.

I have applied for foundation for Westminister as they told me that I wouldnt be able to get on the 3 year course, but i've just read on their website that the foundation is for people with no level 3 study?? so i'm now worrying that I have applied for an extra year I don't need? OMG this is just so confusing, it seems like everyone is saying something different all the time.

I got my confirmation from Manchester and the UEA yesturday, so I am hoping that it will not be too much longer before I find out if it's a yay or neigh.

Which of the two have you picked and what have subject you applied for?

I've applied to do Speech and Language Therapy! I think at the moment I'm more keen on UEA, my particular course is taught with problem based learning which is where you're given scenarios to work on rather than just having a lecturer talking at you which is my idea of hell, so that really appeals to me! Also, on the 'What uni' website, UEA is in the top 10 for practically every award category they have, and is number 1 in accommodation awards, plus there wasn't a single negative review. The social stuff seems like there's something to suit everyone, they even have a bar specially for graduates and people over 21! I think they also have quite a lot of mature students which would be nice :-) Also, from looking on facebook, the medicine and health profession students seem very close and have study groups and their own winter ball and social events so it all sounds really good!

I have no idea about the foundation year thing either, sorry! I'm studying with the OU at the moment as well, I'm doing the 60 point course, S104 - Exploring Science :smile:
Hermione_moo
ive just signed up for the human genetics and start in a couple of weeks :smile: and my other courses are:

maths for science
molecules, medicines and drugs
human biology (level2) and
biological pyschology (level2)

Human genetics is a pretty good one (although they marked really strictly on the ECA for mine), molecules medicines and drugs is also really, really interesting. I really wanted to do Human Biology, but I missed the registration date (same goes for Exploring Science) because it was just a few days short of being able to add it to the next month's credit card bill. :p:

Maths for science looks frighteningly hard when you first open the book, but by the time you get to the end you realise it's not actually that hard (although I managed the last sections without really understanding it, simply by getting to grips with the algebra earlier on, because half the statistics stuff at the end was all based on algebra). It was actually quite enjoyable, once I realised I remembered more than I thought from school! :smile:

I cannot believe that Queen Mary's didn't think that was good enough, they must not know naything about the courses because they are harder then A level stuff, even the OU states on it's website about that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think went on-even though I got my reference from the OU where it explicitly stated it was good preparation for degree study. :s-smilie: I'm not even annoyed about it any more; I just think they were being particularly stupid. :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy your courses!
Reply 33
Hi all.....

I know how all of you that are waiting are feeling, even though i only sent mine the 14th jan ... i'm addicted to checking ucas track ... just incase they haven't sent me a text or email lol.

I'm 36 and applied for herts,..... business/computing, business/law, business/accounting, computer science, information tech .... and my courses dont have an interview all depends on what you want to study to whether you have a interview or not... 3 kids all older ... youngest 12 this yr .. currently on access full time ... argghh hard work but worth it... hopefully.....

Well good luck all with your offers .. hope we hear soon!!!!!!

Barb :biggrin:
Hey all!
I'm 29 and started my first year of my degree in September 2009 in Business and Italian :biggrin:

Prior to this, I completed an Access course at the University of Liverpool which is the same Uni I'm doing my degree at. I was worried a little bit about being amongst youngsters, hahaha, but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought!! The only thing that bothers me slightly is the smart arses in class who seem to be SO well opinionated that they kind of intimidate me. I am at an elitist Uni so I suppose there's no surprise there, but it's a very small minority and it's only usually in the smaller classes that this happens. The lectures (which consist of over 200 students) are MUCH better because students are less likely to speak up in such a large lecture theatre!! LOL

Going to Uni for me at a later stage was the best thing I ever did - I never regret the fact that I didn't go when I was 18. For starters, having worked the last 13 years for over 15 organisations I have brought an enormous amount of experience to my business degree that it gives me a great foundation for my essays that other students don't have. I received 78% for my first essay and 85% for my last essay (which I found out yesterday!!). I'm trying to appreciate every minute I have at Uni because I know they are the best years of your life - you learn so much, you meet great people and you discover yourself in such a positive and intellectual light. It's amazing how much your vocabulary develops over time and I find that in discussions with friends and family, I'm alot more coherent in my speech my use of vocabulary shocks me at times!!
Reply 35
Hello chaps/chapesses...

I'm 25 (only for a couple more months!) and hope to start a History degree in September 2010. I never went to uni after i finished my A-Levels as i was fed up of education. Forged a successful(ish) career in IT, but in all honesty it bored me to death, and i only stayed with it so long as i liked the financial security. Took redundancy in November and set about working out what to do, which resulted in me deciding to get a degree in something i love! So fingers crossed it'll turn out to be the right decision., as i know i'll make a proper go of it!

Oh, and i just got my first offer, an unconditional one from UWE, which i'm quite happy about considering i've not really done any form of proper learning for 7 and a half years.
Reply 36
Hi :hello:

I'm almost 23, I've applied for Adult nursing at UWE and Oxford Brookes. I still haven't heard anything yet.

I applied way back in mid-November, it's getting a bit disheartening seeing other people on my course having interviews and getting offers. I know 'no news is good news', but it's driving me crazy! :woo:

Good luck to everyone else, I hope you all get the offers you're hoping for!
Reply 37
Hey there,

I'm 28 (will be 29 in September!)... I've applied for History (V100) at one of these fine establishments, but I have a feeling my offers will be somewhat limited.

Durham (I'll be very lucky)
Exeter (already replied - "unsuccessful)
UEA
De Montfort
Leicester

Really nervous about it all, some of my access student friends have had their offers back and had offers but I haven't had a sniff of an offer yet. That aside, even if I have to go through clearing I'm really looking forward to starting this course and the lifestyle changes that go with it.

Wish everyone the best of luck, I guess a lot of us will be taking on parent roles for the young'uns :wink:
Reply 38
Got my Ucas Track e-mail notification this morning! Woop! Invitation to audition March 10th! YAY! :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! x
Reply 39
Hi all,

I'm 25 (26 when i start uni) and have a 3 year old and a new baby on the way. I have just received offers for Education Studies and Ed studies with Early Childhood studies at Anglia Ruskin Univeristy, the Chelmsford campus.
I'm really nervous about starting my degree and juggling looking after my children but i'm looking at it as a positive step towards a better future for all of us. I have seen example timetables for the degree and think it will be manageable as long as i organise my time pretty well , lol (easier said than done i know).
Particularly nervous about feeling the odd one out by being over the age of 18!! I'm sure it will be mostly young guns on my course :/

Nice to 'meet' you all

Nikki x

Quick Reply

Latest