The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Meagz
The 'bit' where they actively recruit Taliban fighters.

Oh, so pockets of Waziristan and NWFP?

I thought the Pakistani army launched a major (and successful) offensive into the Swat Valley a while back.

Also, the overwhelming majority of the Pakistani population do not live in Waziristan/NWFP. They're pretty sparesely populated compared to the Indus valley.
Reply 81
revisionnightmare
I have always been fairly left-wing, supporting immigration, going on about how ethnic minorities should not be discriminated against, immigration wasn't too big of a problem etc. Often I waved off conversations about the extent of immigration, the loss of the nation's identity and grim predictions such as Britain becoming a Muslim country in the next 100 years, and the like, seeing them as over the top comments made out of ignorance.

Over the past few weeks however, I've really started noticing how serious the situation is. My aunt works as a GP in a 'walk in' centre in Buckinghamshire, and she has always voted labour and defended immigration. I was alarmed when she sat at a dinner table over Christmas and for about half an hour spoke about how:

1) Hours and hours of time and money are wasted on the NHS due to first generation immigrants from all places visiting 3 or 4 times per month for absolutely absurd things such as a cough, arguing with health professionals about the best treatment, demanding antibiotics despite being told they won't help. Then coming out with absurd comments about how 'Britain owes it to (insert country) for what you 150 years ago' Furthering the point, apparently figures from last month at this practise (situated in a town in which 80% of the population is supposedly white) 80% of patients were not from this country.

2) On maternity wards you can almost guarentee that the parents will not be white. Apparently 45% of all races having babies are Muslim. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how quickly this will become a problem.

After said conversation, I decided to pay more attention to what is going on around us, and that's when it hit me. Half this damn country isn't white anymore. I was in a train station last night with over 30 people in queues for tickets. I was the only white person. In town earlier this morning, the same story. I literally felt like a minority in what is supposed to be a Christian country.

I doubt anyone watched it, but Muslim driving school illustrated a point to me which really got me thinking. A 'well off' Muslim family who could afford maids, butlers etc in their country, came here with 4 children to get them into British schools in order to give them a good education and go far in life back home. 2 of them were attending very competitive schools in this country, ie, taking away places for some children who would have stayed here after their education. The economic consequences of immigration are going to get very serious if this keeps going.

It's all well and good for us middleclass kids to sit around claiming that there isn't a problem with immigration. But there sure as hell is. I have no problem with immigrants. But I think the gates need closing now and there needs to an appeal to a lot of these people (first generation who have been here for under 5 years) to go home. Things are getting way out of hand.

What difference does it make if they aren't harming anyone? Just because you see white people doesn't make them good, or even British. And if you see a Muslim it doesn't mean they're bad or out to cause you harm. I agree that immigration needs to stop though, not for any racist reasons because I hate racism, simply because this is a tiny country and it can't sustain a much larger population than the one it's got at the minute.
Reply 82
Originally Posted by revisionnightmare
I Apparently 45% of all races having babies are Muslim. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how quickly this will become a problem.

Muslim is not a race its a religion called Islam MORON !! Surely being middle class and educated you would know have known that basic Religious Education GCSE.

Not all Muslims are non white. Surely being educated at middle class institution about human geography you would know that.

If your stats are correct how do you know these so called Muslim race are White English people that hav converted to Islam ????

A 'well off' Muslim family who could afford maids, butlers etc in their country, came here with 4 children to get them into British schools in order to give them a good education and go far in life back home. 2 of them were attending very competitive schools in this country. ie, taking away places for some children who would have stayed here after their education. The economic consequences of immigration are going to get very serious if this keeps going.

Well I think you could consider that 45% increase in non white births is due to the fact British people are moving abroad ?

Spain , Dubai , Greece, France, Morocco all you see on those programmes is people re-locating to other countries ? And what about all those countries having there hospitals filled with non-native patients and British pregnant mothers ? And there school places taken up by British people who have rubbed a few pennies together and due to the currency exchange think their rich in these countries ? When in fact people on those shows are working class people claiming to be middle class but you can clearly see that their working class through there intelligence or lack of it. COUGH COUGH
Reply 83
Qaz25

As far as I am concerned, Britain has no culture that is purely British. Most of the things done now that are deemed to 'British' are inherited from the Normans (French culture etc). Even the patron saint of England isn't British.

Your confusing time periods. Things which the Normas, Saxons, Angles and Vikings introduced mixed to create "British" culture. Also remember we havent been invaded since 1066 and since then have had no major influxes of people from abroad. This gave us about 800 years to "create" British culture. In that time we had the slave trade, colonialism, the industrial revolution, all major world events which Britain played a key role in. We created our own distinct culture separate to anything else on the planet, one which took 800 years to form.

However, since 1980 we have seen the largest migration of people into the UK we have ever seen, and in such a short period they have not accepted British culture, but set up small communities with the culture of where ever they have come from. I drove into Birmingham the other week, and for about 2 miles in stop start traffic the number of white people I saw could be counted on one hand. The shop signs were all in foreign languages, and very few people spoke English. Now im sorry, but thats not the England I know. These people contribute very little to the economy and Im sorry, but I see no reason for them to be here. They certainly wouldnt have made it into Australia, New Zealand, America, etc. People who come here with skills then fine, many doctors, dentists and health workers are foreign, and thats good for the country. Someone who is going to want benefits and going to work in jobs whereby there is intense competition from UK nationals shouldnt be here full stop.
Reply 84
Riderz
The state wastes huge amounts of money on immigrants; houses, schooling, NHS, benefits and the like. We see very little of the benefits of this, as often the people have such low paying jobs, if they have jobs at all, as to not cover their own costs to the taxpayer. Please explain how this is not "wasting money."

I already did, read what I posted after that.
When people will learn that "wasting money" actually means "creating value", the world will be a better place.

Riderz

Added to that you have the disproportionate number of crimes committed by immigrants (a fact, not a racist slur),

That's another matter, but in fact I don't support immigration. I was just defending it from an economic perspective.

Riderz

the amount spent on translators and interpreters, etc etc.

But why do you hate translators and interpreters, so much that you want to see them without a job?
Reply 85
Meagz
The 'bit' where they actively recruit Taliban fighters.

That are people that are fighting for their own country, in their own country, against the foreign invasor.
Reply 86
I agree immigration has gone way too far. If the immigrants came over slowly and integrated then it wouldn't be such a problem but now we're seeing entire non-white communities where English isn't necessarily the major language.

The immigrants who came over in the 50s and 60s had no choice but to integrate, so now their children and grandchildren are every bit as English as the natives, apart obviously from skin colour.

The issue now is that so many have come over in such a short space of time that they are just living amongst themselves, carrying on with their own culture completely ignorant of the fact that they have moved to a new country. You're even starting to hear 2nd generation accents, people who were born here yet seem to be putting on foreign accents. It also doesn't help that so many of them have absolutely no respect for Britain or British values, and think this country that they treat with such destain somehow owes them something.
Reply 87
Qaz25
Errr no!

If my parents are Pakistani (spell it properly) then I am British Pakistani

My true heritage is Pakistani, but I also adhere to some things in British culture (being born here).

However, I can never fully assimilate into British culture, or fully accept British culture since I see drinking alcohol as being wrong, meat from pig should not be eaten and the whole idea of girls dressing nearly naked as wrong.

So if I do not accept these things, does that mean I shouldn't be in this country?

Because that's what I see British culture as being. It's either this or you can go way back to Anglo-Saxon culture and live like savages (that's true British culture)

As far as I am concerned, Britain has no culture that is purely British. Most of the things done now that are deemed to 'British' are inherited from the Normans (French culture etc). Even the patron saint of England isn't British.

Oh and have I forgot to mention that Britain took over half of the world and enforced their supposed culture on other countries (especially India).

Typical hypocritical British people I think :smile:

I agree that you don't neccesarily have to adhere to all different aspects of British culture to be seen as British. But you strike me as quite ignorant with your description of British culture. It's true that there are elements of British culture borrowed from elsewhere but isn't that the case with every country? Take a look at Pakistan for example. Cricket is the most popular sport. But who was responsible for introducing cricket into Pakistani and Indian culture? Yes, the British. British culture has influenced the world a lot. Most of the world's most popular sports are English (football, tennis, cricket, rugby etc.) And English culture has influenced the world in terms of Literature, music etc as well. So perhaps you should have more respect for where you live. No ones asking you to forget your Pakistani culture, but i think you need to get rid of that scornful attitude towards British culture. Also, the English people of today should not be blamed for the actions of a minority of British people in the past, any more than Muslims for example should be blamed for the actions of terrorists. The majority of British peoples ancestors had nothing to do with the colonisation of India. It was only the very wealthy who got rich from colonialism, not the ordinary British man.
Reply 88
Riderz
Your confusing time periods. Things which the Normas, Saxons, Angles and Vikings introduced mixed to create "British" culture. Also remember we havent been invaded since 1066 and since then have had no major influxes of people from abroad. This gave us about 800 years to "create" British culture. In that time we had the slave trade, colonialism, the industrial revolution, all major world events which Britain played a key role in. We created our own distinct culture separate to anything else on the planet, one which took 800 years to form.

However, since 1980 we have seen the largest migration of people into the UK we have ever seen, and in such a short period they have not accepted British culture, but set up small communities with the culture of where ever they have come from. I drove into Birmingham the other week, and for about 2 miles in stop start traffic the number of white people I saw could be counted on one hand. The shop signs were all in foreign languages, and very few people spoke English. Now im sorry, but thats not the England I know. These people contribute very little to the economy and Im sorry, but I see no reason for them to be here. They certainly wouldnt have made it into Australia, New Zealand, America, etc. People who come here with skills then fine, many doctors, dentists and health workers are foreign, and thats good for the country. Someone who is going to want benefits and going to work in jobs whereby there is intense competition from UK nationals shouldnt be here full stop.

It's quite baffling, people who get to stay in Britain should at least know how to speak the language
Reply 89
Frieza
That are people that are fighting for their own country, in their own country, against the foreign invasor.

0/10.

Try being more subtle next time.
Riderz

your actually an idiot. how the fucc are you gonna know if these people speak english from sitting inside your car. I dont get this whole myth purpotrated by people who live in very white middle class communities which claim that hardly any immigrants know english. Ive lived in Peckham which is a Nigerian hotspot and all the shop owners that sold Nigerian food, clothers etc. all spoke English. I've been to Tooting which is a predominantly Indian neighbourhood and the majority of shop owners/workers there all spoke English as well.
Reply 91
DaveSteed24
Stop reading the daily mail - its not good for u :P: this country is just multi-cultural now, its not a bad thing, i mean yeah you get people who don't wanna wirk and scrounge but you get plenty more 'home grown' scroungers in our green and pleasent land - i think its a good thing - and i'm conservative :p:

btw i haven't actually read the OP these are just my views on immigration in a para :smile:

but after reading some other posts i agree with them that non-white doesn't automatically equal immigrant - surely being multi-cultural shd encourage us to expand our horizons not shut them out, imagine if they all were shut out of the country they're so integral now to our economy, imagine if all we had left to support the country was the likes of that Karen Matthews woman *shudders*

Dear god it's first degree murder of the English language, this ladies and gentlemen is the real problem in this country.
Reply 92
Frieza
I already did, read what I posted after that.
When people will learn that "wasting money" actually means "creating value", the world will be a better place.

But why do you hate translators and interpreters, so much that you want to see them without a job?

Your economic knowledge is shaky at best. Our economy is wasting money- ie not adding value- to anything by handing out benefits. It takes money out of the system to be squandered on things we shouldnt need.

In a capitalist economy the money is used in the most efficient manner possible, taxation reduced the money in circulation and diverts it down a less efficient route. Some services are essential, ie street lights, NHS, roads etc, for which we get a social benefit available to everybody. Giving money to anyone benefits that one person rather than society as a whole. No matter what they chose to spend it on, and however that money gets round the economy after that, the benefits disproportionately accrue to an individual rather than the population.

As for the second point, its laughable. You seem to have well an truely fallen into the "jobs for the boys" mentality of the Labour government.

I have nothing against translators, but they are not adding anything to the economy again, there is no added value at all. If the person spoke English then the end result would be the same, but we wouldnt have to employ an extra person at £20 an hour or whatever they will charge. The same translator could be working on corporate documents, or in a privately owned company adding value to the economy as a whole.

Taking your example slightly to the extreme to show how wasting money =/= creating value, if I took the countries tax returns and spend it all on repairing roads, despite the fact many are in good condition, the amount of money in the system would still be the same, it would create jobs and encourage investment in machinery, yet it would still be a waste of money and our economy would be much much worse off than if I distributed the same money equally amongst many different groups of services.

Net economic migration into the country over the last 10, 20 years has been a COST to the country, both socially and economically, hence the backlash as people begin to see the downsides.
Reply 93
"Boo-hoo oh deary me immigration is on the rise" Whatever!
While immigration is undoubtedly an issue in Britain and many other places in the world, I think alot of people in the UK are just using it as an excuse to unleash their racist urges. Honestly, just get over it!
Reply 94
BillV3
Dear god it's first degree murder of the English language, this ladies and gentlemen is the real problem in this country.

This is the response of someone who can't think of a counter-argument so instead looks for technical mistakes.
Sounds like a fair post to me.
Reply 96
And just to set all these guys who say **** like "HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF WE WENT TO YOUR COUNTRY AND RUINED YOUR CULTURE!!!" straight
....take a good ******* look at what you did to our countries!
Reply 97
Tha_Black_Shinobi
your actually an idiot. how the fucc are you gonna know if these people speak english from sitting inside your car. I dont get this whole myth purpotrated by people who live in very white middle class communities which claim that hardly any immigrants know english. Ive lived in Peckham which is a Nigerian hotspot and all the shop owners that sold Nigerian food, clothers etc. all spoke English. I've been to Tooting which is a predominantly Indian neighbourhood and the majority of shop owners/workers there all spoke English as well.

I wasnt in my sodding car. I was on a bike and have ears. :rolleyes: And yes, people in Peckham might speak English to you, but amongst themselves they speak foreign tongues, and when there are no English people to talk to they invariable go back to their native languages.
Reply 98
Some people just can't accept the fact that this country is changing. Also, so what ifpeople don't make an effort to learn or integrate into our culture, espicially if your the type of person who goes a broad and goes around saying. "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH", pauses then thinks to themselves maybe they didn't understand, Yells even louder "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH" then considers that individual an idiot for not understanding.
Also why are people afraid of muslims? Its pathetic.
Reply 99
Riderz
I wasnt in my sodding car. I was on a bike and have ears. :rolleyes: And yes, people in Peckham might speak English to you, but amongst themselves they speak foreign tongues, and when there are no English people to talk to they invariable go back to their native languages.

Exactly. There's a big difference between speaking broken English to customers and actually speaking English as your first language.

Latest

Trending

Trending