The Student Room Group

Venlafaxine and quetiapine

I've just been prescribed venlafaxine and quetiapine for depression, was wondering how bad the side-effects are. Apparently quetiapine gets you high...:biggrin: Anyone tried them?
do not take quetiapine. that **** is nasty.

loads of weight gain despite eating less than normal, ******* weird leg moving after you take it (doesn't sound too bad, but it's actually horrific - you can't sit still even walking isn't enough movement), well dry mouth for first few weeks (also pretty ******* unpleasant, nothing gets rid of it you can drink 20 pints of water it does **** all), ridiculously hard to concentrate on anything, it's like you can't follow thoughts they just don't join up properly in your head, sleepiness, I can't think of anything else right now but it's nasty ****. Wish I'd never taken it.

venlafaxine? just like every other antidepressant in my experience.
Reply 2
You fill me with confidence.
Glad to hear it :h:
Reply 4
I'm on Venlafaxine and it gets me even more sleepy than I usually am, which is why I was told to take it before bed time rather than in the morning or so. Other than that, nothing major. I get a headache whenever I forget to take my medication, so that's a nice reminder :tongue:
I used to be on venlafaxine and I'll say one thing, DO NOT miss a dose, because missing a dose by a few hours = epic withdrawal that involves some very severe dissociation and head rushes.
Reply 6
I'm on venafalaxine, twice a day and I'd agree with HearTheThunder, don't miss a dose! The withdrawals can be quite bad... I get fidgity and irritable, headaches and a bit shakey too lol.

I always take them with food so the side effects are minimised. When I've had it on an empty stomach I get a horrible stomach churning and dry mouth all the time anyway you get used to that.
HearTheThunder
I used to be on venlafaxine and I'll say one thing, DO NOT miss a dose, because missing a dose by a few hours = epic withdrawal that involves some very severe dissociation and head rushes.

This. I had that without taking a dose late sometimes :s-smilie:

Coming off it was awful, I terrified my housemates because I was screaming and banging my head against the wall - the night before a 9am exam as well. But my psychiatrist had given me ridiculous instructions about coming off it so I actually went from 225mg to nothing in about 4 days :rolleyes:
~ Mandy
This. I had that without taking a dose late sometimes :s-smilie:

Coming off it was awful, I terrified my housemates because I was screaming and banging my head against the wall - the night before a 9am exam as well. But my psychiatrist had given me ridiculous instructions about coming off it so I actually went from 225mg to nothing in about 4 days :rolleyes:

Snap. Like exactly. I came off 225mg in 4 days too.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies, folks. I've got the venlafaxine now, so starting on that tonight...

Thought of something else - how bad is it mixing them with alcohol? Obviously you're not supposed to, but... any worse than with other drugs?
superwolf
Thanks for the replies, folks. I've got the venlafaxine now, so starting on that tonight...

Thought of something else - how bad is it mixing them with alcohol? Obviously you're not supposed to, but... any worse than with other drugs?

It's fine :p:

You may find you feel a little more drunk than normal quicker and possibly more tired but nothing to worry about.
Sabertooth
do not take quetiapine. that **** is nasty.

loads of weight gain despite eating less than normal, ******* weird leg moving after you take it (doesn't sound too bad, but it's actually horrific - you can't sit still even walking isn't enough movement), well dry mouth for first few weeks (also pretty ******* unpleasant, nothing gets rid of it you can drink 20 pints of water it does **** all), ridiculously hard to concentrate on anything, it's like you can't follow thoughts they just don't join up properly in your head, sleepiness, I can't think of anything else right now but it's nasty ****. Wish I'd never taken it.

venlafaxine? just like every other antidepressant in my experience.

You should not tell someone not to take their prescribed medication, no more what we say on here, we have no clinical expertises. And a doctor would know whether to prescribe the patient this medication if needed.

OP, there are a lot of common, uncommon and rare side effects for venlafaxine: constipation, nausea, anorexia, weight changes, diarrhea, yawning, vomiting & palpitation are some of the common ones.

But no matter what the side effects are the treatment outweighs the risks of the side effects.
Anonymous
You should not tell someone not to take their prescribed medication, no more what we say on here, we have no clinical expertises. And a doctor would know whether to prescribe the patient this medication if needed.

OP, there are a lot of common, uncommon and rare side effects for venlafaxine: constipation, nausea, anorexia, weight changes, diarrhea, yawning, vomiting & palpitation are some of the common ones.

Bite me. Gave my experience, which is that I wouldn't recommend taking it because it's ******* awful stuff.

Anonymous
But no matter what the side effects are the treatment outweighs the risks of the side effects.

my ass it does.
Reply 13
Sabertooth
Bite me. Gave my experience, which is that I wouldn't recommend taking it because it's ******* awful stuff.

my ass it does.

:rofl: You have such a gift for reasoned argument...

Anonymous (don't quite get why you're anonymous) fret ye not, I am taking my pills and enjoying an interesting range of side-effects, which will doubtless be worth it in the end...

Latest