The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Advice for Freshers....

This is a place for those at Manchester to give an advice they wish they had been given themselves last year.

1. Dont worry about an work for the first 3 weeks at least, just find out where things are. Get stuff for handovers too to take with you to freshers week.

2. Talk to everyone you meet.

3. dont buy a bus pass immediately, c which bus you and your house mates use most,

4. Do go to all the fresher parties but pay no notice to all the flyers outside the union.

leave it for others to add for now...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
any other advise?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
do not under any circumstances let yourself get ill, it ruined the whole fresher experience for me.

primark is god- for all your clothing and houseware needs.

do not spend a fortune on things like frying pans, they will get trashed.

please do your washing up so that your flatmates that have a fear of hygiene-free kitchens dont have a breakdown.

keep up with your work from the beginning, its all well and good having fun in the fresher period, but when it gets to the end of the semester and you have a huge essay to hand in and you have no clue what the course is about because you missed the first lecture, it kind of sucks.

go to all your lectures for they are fun! ok no one does this. except me, i had 100% attendance in the first year. geek. but really it has given me an advantage, i am stupid and can only pass if i go to every class or else i dont have a clue. also, in some cases your attendance record is used for things like deciding which students get certain perks, deciding on borderline exam results etc.

do find out where the library is. i only started taking books out just before the summer exams of my second year, and i found out that they are actually pretty useful little things.

go to the meet and greet things set up by your course, and if there is a medic/economics/physics/geography/whatever you are doing society, join it.

dont get stuck in a rut going to the same place every week. manchester is a mecca for nights out, branch out into the community and try everything! dont ever go to lucid though. please.
princessa
dont ever go to lucid though. please.

Lucid's closed down!
Reply 4
Make sure you go to the fresher's ball. Some freshers boycott it for some odd reason and I reckon thats a huge mistake. You can meets loads of people and generally have an awesome time.

Work hard. Dont be of the mind that says you only need to pass your first year and as long as you pass the marks don't matter. They do matter.... going on placement years, getting places on certain courses later on, and even your final degree result can depend on them in some way.

Go to The Footage on Oxford Road every Monday night. It rocks and its my second home!
Reply 5
Don't spend all your time in the usual university haunts (get off Oxford Road and out of Fallowfield) - there's a huge city out there, explore it. Whatever you're into it's there. Take the chance to experience somethng new-it's here in Manchester. And most of all have fun whilst balancing the work.
Reply 6
Babyshambles
Lucid's closed down!

HURRAY! :biggrin:

actually this brings me onto my next tip: do not fight with bouncers, they are not worth a second of your time. and dont go to horrible clubs where everyone has a pole up their arse.
I'm coming from California (USA), and I'll be a grad student. But I will be fresh to the city. I want to party and meet everyone! I'm living at Mathias Court.
Reply 8
Just thought of something else-get your innoculations- especially Mumps. My mate went down with this and had a bad time and another guy on my course missed a whole load of work through being hospitalised because of Mumps. The other major one Meningitis.
Reply 9
Yeh there was a mumps epidemic within th student population in Manchester 3 of my friends caught it.

Top nights out are 5th Avenue on a monday dirnks cheap as chips anything from 70p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a top club anyting from indy to cheese. Loads of abrs and clubs in manchester centre although some are abit pricey

Main areas are Peter street, oxford road, deansgates locks and the printworks there are a few others but i dont know them that well.

Some door staff can be ******s once got turned away from M2 becuase "sorry no yellow tonight" but its only the very small minority.

www.manchesterad.com nice website for the nightlife.

Im only a year 13 student well was anyway untilli finished in may off to newcastle uni in september so i cant tell you much about the university student nightlife as much.

But 5th av on Monday is not to be missed and an all time cheap night out!
Reply 10
Goody1
once got turned away from M2 becuase "sorry no yellow tonight"

lol! that is possibly the funniest thing i have heard. what a bunch of knobs.

i am not m2s biggest fan either. once waited over an hour in the freezing cold in february, finally got to the front of the queue and the woman wouldnt let us in cause the guys we were with were too casual, wearing shirts and shoes. what are you supposed to wear? :confused: apparently if you are a girl, the less the better. i wouldnt have cared but i was dying for a pee and was really offended by the whole experience. i ended up paying £3 to get into barracudas to use the toilet. oh theres another tip for freshers, as with school trips, always go before you leave. anyway, any club or bar that has a dress code is nowhere that i want to go. ponces.
Reply 11
princessa
anyway, any club or bar that has a dress code is nowhere that i want to go. ponces.

5th Ave. for life then. :smile:
princessa
any club or bar that has a dress code is nowhere that i want to go. ponces.

Me and my flatmate have a pact to try our best to not go to any club that makes us wear shoes the whole time we're at uni.

and also to never go to a club in deansgate locks!

oh, and 42nd Street is better than 5th Ave. Drinks aren't quite as cheap, but you can get Desperados at 42's
Reply 13
princessa
lol! that is possibly the funniest thing i have heard. what a bunch of knobs.

i am not m2s biggest fan either. once waited over an hour in the freezing cold in february, finally got to the front of the queue and the woman wouldnt let us in cause the guys we were with were too casual, wearing shirts and shoes. what are you supposed to wear? :confused: apparently if you are a girl, the less the better. i wouldnt have cared but i was dying for a pee and was really offended by the whole experience. i ended up paying £3 to get into barracudas to use the toilet. oh theres another tip for freshers, as with school trips, always go before you leave. anyway, any club or bar that has a dress code is nowhere that i want to go. ponces.

When he said no yellow was like what..... wouldnt minded if it was a yellow t-shirt with burberry writtne all over it but it was a like a ted baker top that looks like it has a white t-shirt underneath it and it didnt have any visible logos anywere.

5th Avenure and Ampersand for life, dont mind dress codes bt no yellow shocking, people alwyas get turned away from m2 fpr "to much black" aswell, some litte **** stood behind the bouncers that decide's wetehr you go in or not he is ona major power trip and any male that is better looking than him or looks like he might haev a bigger penis aitn getting in, he judges you as not "cool or funky enough" yet they let others behind you walk in with prada tops hmmmmmmmmm.

DONT GO TO M2 unless you really into R and B then id try adn get guest llisted aswell to make sure you can get cos they dont seem to haev any sort of door policy camn unpredictable
Reply 14
Goody1
DONT GO TO M2 unless you really into R and B then id try adn get guest llisted aswell to make sure you can get cos they dont seem to haev any sort of door policy camn unpredictable

we were on the guestlist the time we were turned away. and the guestlist queue was just as long as the normal one. and also someone i know believes she was drugged there. so basically steer clear!

i like 5th ave, didnt go there enough. the music is great but it gets a bit too crowded for me! i havent been to 42nd street but when my friends did they were attacked on the dancefloor by a bouncer. there seems to be a theme of animosity between doorstaff and my group of friends. i dont think we are a particularly troublemaking lot.

i went to some german place in piccadilly recently, that was fun. and went to this place near oxford road station with a swirly sign, no idea what it is called, but i loved the music they were playing.
Reply 15
Theres loadsa places to go in manchetser and M2 is defo not one to go to agreed!

Never been to 42nd's before, 5th av is my usual haunt on a monday 70p a drink etc cant go wrong!

Not that well up on the nightlife, stick to places i know ie. the lochs, print works, oxford road and peters street.
Goody1
Never been to 42nd's before, 5th av is my usual haunt on a monday 70p a drink etc cant go wrong!

42's Is quite a way away from me (especially compared to 5th ave) so it took us a long time before we actually went there, but I'm glad we did. Music wise, 42's is loads better, and while the drinks aren't as cheap as 5th Ave, they're still cheap. 42's Never gets as packed as 5th Ave can in my experience as well...even though it's smaller.
Reply 17
material breach
This is a place for those at Manchester to give an advice they wish they had been given themselves last year.

2. Talk to everyone you meet.

what if he/she is a serial killer :eek: :eek:
I must have been to 42nd street over a 100 times and you have a good/great night bout 90% of the time. Sometimes the music isnt that good, or there are too many people, or there are a few idiots in there(very rare) but over all its a great place. There's always drink deals (i.e XXXX=£1 or Double Vodbull=£1.50) and is a friendlier place than 5th ave.

5th Ave is usually packed at the weekends and the bouncers can get abit frisky. But its usually a good night when you get in but its usually the same music whereas 42s has theme nights (i.e Tuesday=Indie night, Wednesday=Retro night, Thursday=manchester music).

So i personally would go fo 42nd street, but thats the beauty of manchester, there's always somewhere else you can go.
Reply 19
Chorlton's not bad either for a night out, its only 2 miles away from Fallowfield too, the bars a bit a bit less in your face and a bit more relaxing, I tend to go to the bars here before going into town.

Didsbury is also well worth a visit although a bit pricey.

5th Ave is ok but its there is too many rules these days, some of the old magic has gone as its become too commercial. 42nd street is good but get there early as you will have a long wait to get in at weekends.

The Brickhouse is another fairly decent indie place, its smaller and very easy to get into.

Also for buses don't pay standard fairs on stagecoach, they are very expensive, if you don't want to buy a bus pass yet at least wait for a seconds longer for a UK North, Finglands or R Bullocks to come, it will be a lot cheaper.

If bouncers ask you questions be honest, don't try and be clever but also have a friendly laugh with them. Also when you leave clubs thank the bouncers, they will then have a positive image of you in their head and you will find the club is easier to get into next time.

Latest

Trending

Trending