The Student Room Group

Is this a good A level Combination?

I'm looking into doing Journalism as a career so I would like to choose subjects which would benefit me for my career choice, but also just in case if I decide to change my mind.

Will these subjects be a good combination? What can I expect taking these subjects?

English Lang & Lit, History, Politics and either Sociology/Psychology
(as i'm not sure which one would benefit me the most)
Do English Lit instead of English Lang & Lit.
Reply 2
I agree - I would also choose psychology over sociology
Hey
yeah i do english lit, history, politics and psychology. i really like the first three but HATE psychology, it honestly is the most boring thing ever and although it's apparently slightly more respected than sociology, english/history/politics combo is good so it won't matter. they all complement each other really well.
Should choose psychology over sociology. It is more preferred.
lit is more appreciated....
history rocks
Politics i wud do if i cud
and maybe psychology rather than sociology, i know sociology is fascinating but its considered a little outdated by unis....
:smile:
tbh...
ur subjects are just another eflection of who u are, if u had maths in there instead of politics it wud still be good.... just as a journalist-type you prefer politics... they dont care that much anyway, its the skills
Reply 6
the college only offers english combined, but i would of took english lit if i could. do you think psychology will be worth taking? i thought it looked slightly more interesting than sociology but i heard sociology could help with journalism more?
I do English Lang & Lit, and to be honest I really enjoy it. I mean you don't get to read as much as Lit students do, but for me the Language part makes up for it, giving a whole new way of interpreting works. And just because I don't get tested on something in the exam doesn't mean I won't read it anyway, and if you're interested in an Englishy Career path anyway then you will probably be reading outside the specs anyway.

A lot of people told me not to take Lang & Lit combined, but I ignored them and I think it was the right choice for me. I would also like to add that went I went on the sutton trust summer school and did a pre university course, I felt completly up to speed with the lit people, if not having a little of an edge due to the language part of the course, and it's accepted pretty much everywhere instead of lit, even at Oxbridge.

For the others I can't say much on, I took sciences to go with my English, weird I know, but your choices are all humanities so seem to fit together quite nicely. I have heard that Politics is a soft option, but then again I wouldn't necessarily believe that. I would just say go with things you enjoy. As long as your interested and enjoying your studies thats the main thing, and to get onto Journalism/English degrees you only need the English A Level. . the rest is upto you :smile:

Latest