The Student Room Group

How hard is Chemistry?

Okay I can't decide what a-levels to do. So far I'm definite on doing Maths and Physics. I'm thinking Latin, but only if I get a good GCSE grade, and I'm considering Chemistry. My mum said that my auntie (who is a criminal psychologist) said that if I take Maths, Physics and Chemistry then the world is my oyster. Basically, how do you find Chemistry and what grade did you get at GCSE? I am predicted an A on the AQA course, and so far I have an A* in the 1a exam, A in 1b and have just done the unit 2 exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
I found it very hard and ended up dropping it at AS. But I was at a B in GCSE. Your grades seem to be good enough for it. As long as you put a LOT of work into it, you should be ok.
Reply 3
I got an A at GCSE, on the new 21st century (OCR?) course and decided to take chemistry for A level. I was taken aback by the amount of actual science there was compared to GCSE and I struggled (ended one mark off an E, lol), although admittedly I had an awful work ethic and very poor teachers. I ended up dropping it at AS obviously.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do after you've finished school, how much you enjoy it and the quality of teaching. There's no doubt it's a tough subject and requires a lot of effort.
Reply 4
Hard, but enjoyable. Got an A* for GCSE on OCR Triple 21st Century thing, getting high C's/low B's in mocks now. As long as you pay attention and put the work in, you'll be fine. :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 5
For me it's not as natural as Physics, Maths, and especially the computing stuff I do in my own time, but really that's just down to me not doing any work other than homework outside of lessons. It's not quite the fun-est subject in the world for everyone perhaps, but it's certainly bearable if not enjoyable. A Physics/Chemistry/Maths + 1 other AS does put you on a good footing for a lot of things, though I'd suggest F. Maths as your final choice (if you get one) since you've not mentioned any other ideas.
Reply 6
i dont like it D:
it's alright though, gotta push myself
havn't you already made a thread about thias ages agoo!!! :?
I answerd on that
Reply 8
Umm, its not bad.. I agree with the person above, its not as natural as maths (obviously).

But in terms of difficulty, its just the AMOUNT of things you have to learn as opposed to the content difficulty. So if you;re lazy like me, then maths and physics are great as you can just walk into the exam without too much revision... but chemistry requires TIME :frown:

And your aunt is quite right, if you do physics chem and maths (and maybe add a biology in there) then the world WILL be your oyster.
Reply 9
The exams are definatly a lot more straight forward than physics. However, Ive found though that its a lot, lot easier on chemistry to make silly mistakes that can cost you a lot of marks.AQA are destroying biology by trying to making it applied as CHemsitry & Physics.

Anyway, do Chemistry, it's easily the most rewarding & hands on out of the alll 3.
if you are good at chem (A/A*) then it shouldn't be hard, currently I am finding it of the same difficulty of GCSE....just more to learn..thats it
Reply 11
Its awesome I love it. I would recommend researching the A level syllabus you would take and finding out what the topics are like. Ask teachers about it. If it looks interesting to you then go for it I would say :smile:
Reply 12
got a B at GCSE and most enjoyable and rewarding thus easiest subject i'm doing
Reply 13
mya369
Its awesome I love it. I would recommend researching the A level syllabus you would take and finding out what the topics are like. Ask teachers about it. If it looks interesting to you then go for it I would say :smile:

you... love it??? :confused:
I hate chemistry. I'm going to fail tomorrow and not meet my uni offer. Chem is going to end my life.

Sorry for the pessimism
I got an A in GCSE, pretty sure I was close to an A* but so far I really enjoy it. I didn't really like the GCSE stuff as much but the AS topics are a lot more interesting and pretty straightforward. I think you should go for it.
Reply 16
josh_a_y
you... love it??? :confused:

:yep: Its my favourite subject :p: /geek

guessing you don't...
It's kinda like Maths in a way in that once you know a rule or a mechanism, you can apply it to any question. The only bad thing, if you're doing OCR, is that you need to know basically all of the definitions for the first module. Once you get to module 2 and 3, you basically only need to know what a nucleophile and electrophile are and then fill in the rest.

I'd go as far as to say it's probably the HARDEST A Level (At least in science) because you do need to know a lot for the exams - the modules are definitely very varied, whereas with Physics or Maths, it just flows better.

Not to discourage you, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Maths is definitely my favourite A Level, but I love applying my Chemistry knowledge where I can. I was discussing a possible hangover cure with my tutor the other day after a mate got massively rough over the weekend, and we actually sat down and went through the science making it work. Coming soon to a store near you.

Biology ******* sucks though. Unless you're lucky enough to be able to do Human Biology.
mya369
:yep: Its my favourite subject :p: /geek

Chemistry is AWESOME!

Maths is too :smile: Definitely do that..
Reply 19
It's super hard in terms of all the material you have to memorize and learn to apply. Basically it requires a ******** of time and dedication.

I don't think GCSE grades matter. Know loads of people who got A*s and As in Chemistry at GCSE but ended up with Ds, Es and Us at AS Level. It's a great step up.

Latest