The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
jazzyyazzy6
My boyfriend is doing your course at Nottingham. AND he also got into Leicester. What a coinkidink?

That IS a coinkidink!
Although I have come across quite a few people that have applied to both, it seems to be a trend :biggrin:

Let me know if he firms either of them!
jazzyyazzy6
Thank you =D
Will get there in the end I suppose. Would do better in the summer tbf, I haven't been given any study leave for these exams so havent got as much work done as I could have.

I haven't been given study leave anyway, and I took up an AS which not only takes away a lot of what would be frees, but they're also demanding coursework which I have not/will not be starting for the next week or so. It's really annoying having homework set from other subjects, I reaally can't be bothered to catch up with history essays and maths homework. I'm glad I have the option of doing it now though, because I've got 9 exams in June.
microfatcat
I haven't been given study leave anyway, and I took up an AS which not only takes away a lot of what would be frees, but they're also demanding coursework which I have not/will not be starting for the next week or so. It's really annoying having homework set from other subjects, I reaally can't be bothered to catch up with history essays and maths homework. I'm glad I have the option of doing it now though, because I've got 9 exams in June.

Bloody hell, 9!!! Fair play, I hope you do well.
I've point blank refused to do any homework set in my lessons too. If i've been to school, which I've missed quite a lot of in order to prepare. I have same number of exams in june as now. I will hopefully do better in June with the time off (and lie ins =D).
morgonia
That IS a coinkidink!
Although I have come across quite a few people that have applied to both, it seems to be a trend :biggrin:

Let me know if he firms either of them!

He's there now! In his first year. I'm a year younger than him. He loves it, you will too. His lectures sound amazing, and the books he reads. (though beward of language in context- compulsory and load of rubbish according to him).
Reply 64
jazzyyazzy6
He's there now! In his first year. I'm a year younger than him. He loves it, you will too. His lectures sound amazing, and the books he reads. (though beward of language in context- compulsory and load of rubbish according to him).

Oh no! Don't get me all excited! :P Now I'll be even MORE disappointed when I don't get into University because of CHEMISTRY :mad:

Thanks for the warning about Language in context. I will come across as very intuitive and savvy now :biggrin:
Reply 65
I got an A in my O Level Chem (edexcel).

Chemistry, unlike Maths and somethimes Physics, has a lot of stuff to be studied. The AL syllabus is a bit different from the OL syllabus (im not sure about GCSE). You dont hear some words like electrolysis again.
I'm doing the Edexcel syllabus, and most of the calculation part is studied in the first unit and is easy when you do AL maths too. Organic chemistry is probably the largest section in AS level because once started it never seems to end. Other sections are not too big and much more interesting because they are done in more detail, like bonding, energetics and redox reactions.
It was hard enough to make me run away after every lesson. :p: But personally, I found it really difficult and couldn't wait to drop it at A2 level as it stressed me out a lot every lesson... I appreciate its importance and wouldn't probably like it much more if it wasn't as confusing to me and I think I just wasn't compatible with the subject. Perhaps the AS topics on fuel etc were just dry. I got an A at GCSE and an A at AS level. (OCR B Salters.) It depends on how much you enjoy chemistry right now really as it is different for everyone.

ETA: Do latin! xD
Reply 67
jazzyyazzy6

Oh. Just wondering, what accomodation is he in? What does he think of it?
I'd personally say its harder than most other subjects because in subject such as law, history, geography, even maths etc. you just to know how to do things rather than actually understand how they work. In chemistry you really have to be able to understand the key principles that underpin the topics and for that reason I'd say its harder than most but a lot more rewarding and enjoyable.
morgonia
Oh. Just wondering, what accomodation is he in? What does he think of it?

He's in Lincoln, on the campus, catered. He loves it. Made all his best friends there, great community spirit. Freshers and formals are amazing (I went out after their autumn formal, and it was intense. They easily have the loudest and most fun students).

We have another friend from our sixth form also doing American Studies, who's in self catered. They also love it, great friends etc.

Don't worry about making friends, both lend themselves to meeting people. My boyfriend loves catered. He's close to all his lectures and gets up realy late. He gets a cleaner as well, though he moands about getting up early once a week (tough life). Only thing he's every complained about is sunday lunch =D. Weekend brunch however is amazing. Cooked breakfast or panini or jacket potato and cereal and toast. The whole day's meals in one. Quite epic.
Reply 70
Chemistry takes the piss! I hate it, and I need an A! :-/

You should totally do it for a laugh. You'll find that a lot of people aren't there out of 'choice'.
I love Chemistry, got A* at GCSE and hopefully heading for A* at A-Level.

I think a big part of doing well is the enjoyment - if you enjoy the subject it will stick in your head very easily