The Student Room Group

Tking more GCSEs in Year 13 for Cambridge?

Hi all,

I recently got rejected from Cambridge ( :frown: ) but I'm willing to give it another go next year. I've already planned my gap year and will try to gain an extra a level and as level along with a foundation diploma.

However I also want to take extra GCSEs this year. It sounds like an insane idea but I would do anything to boost my application. For GCSE i got 5A* 4A and a B and I'm predicted 3A*s at A level.

I potentially want to take one or two extra GCSEs in June but I am not on a course so far. Do you think there would be any way to cram all that (not particularly difficult compared to A level) knowledge in?

Any suggestions which subjects I should try for Architecture?

Anyone know where I could get a course online?

Scroll to see replies

I think the hardest part would be meeting the coursework deadlines, what subjects are you concidering taking, personally I think 3 A*'s would make a coupe more GCSE's irrelevant, so I would focus on those and reapply. Maybe work on other parts of your application (work experience/PS) as apose to the academic side?
Reply 2
yeh the 3A*s are definately the most important thing but it scares me when I hear about people with 9A*s etc :/ I was thinking of maybe taking a Physics GCSE as I took Science and Additional science but no individual science subjects and as I'm taking physics at A2 it might make it fairly easy (?) Also geography is an option because its a really popular subject in my school and the teachers love me :P
Reply 3
Did you ask for feedback? If yes, what did they say about your application?
Reply 4
LOAW extra GSCE's. They'd care more about A-levels, and don't believe everything you hear about how everyone who goes to Cambridge gets 9A*'s. My friend just got in to Cambridge with GCSE's almost exactly the same as yours.
Reply 5
No forget GCSEs you are better off doing 3 A levels in a gap year. That would be seriously impressive.
Reply 6
I don't really see how doing extra GCSEs will help your application. Much better to get some work experience/ work on your portfolio/ do another A Level. Having a few extra A* at GCSE won't help - there are many other more important factors to your application. I know people who have got in with less than you've got and I know people who've been rejected with tons more (sob) - so GCSEs really aren't a huge factor.
Reply 7
I don't really think doing anything purely for the purpose of getting into Cambridge is a good idea. And like most people are saying, it's probably best to focus on your A levels and get 3 A*s like your predicted, do more work experience, reading, etc. if you really want to reapply.
yeah definitely, there's little point to a couple of extra GCSE's. It would be far more worthwhile to resit A levels, work and do work experience and stuff rather than worry about them.
Reply 9
Don't bother. Having some extra GCSEs won't do anything extra for your application. If anything, they might wonder why you felt the need to take lower qualifications at this date, I'd think.
Far better to do an A Level or two or get a part time job.

Just so you know: Cambridge isn't the only good university in this country.
Laurie161
Hi all,

I recently got rejected from Cambridge ( :frown: ) but I'm willing to give it another go next year. I've already planned my gap year and will try to gain an extra a level and as level along with a foundation diploma.

However I also want to take extra GCSEs this year. It sounds like an insane idea but I would do anything to boost my application. For GCSE i got 5A* 4A and a B and I'm predicted 3A*s at A level.

I potentially want to take one or two extra GCSEs in June but I am not on a course so far. Do you think there would be any way to cram all that (not particularly difficult compared to A level) knowledge in?

Any suggestions which subjects I should try for Architecture?

Anyone know where I could get a course online?

People like u just make me laugh, haha! Maybe cambridge is not meant for u. I got worse gcse's and a levels and got into oxford (and left it!):rolleyes: Why don't u just stop trying to grasp onto cambridge. As the poster above said - it's not the only good uni. Also, it's full of toffs....i would recommend sussex, middlesex, or a middle to low uni over cambridge anyday. It's all about being around normal people - just look at the big picture OP :smile: There are more important things in life than oxbridge and academia:smile:
you could do like an open university course or something this year as kind of extra. they have all sorts of things and they're not very expensive. its something to add to your personal statement and it means ur brain keeps active throughout the year.
Reply 13
It will not help. Don't do it.
This subject actually just came up at the 'A-level Choice' evening at my school in relation to taking further GCSEs in the sixth form alongside A-levels. The advice given was that universities are not really interested and would prefer you focused on extra-curricular stuff.
You could do with getting some life experience to talk about on your personal statement as well, something that's really related to your course. The more they can see you're really serious about it, the more they're likely to offer you a place.
Would it not be apparent to them when you'd taken those GCSEs? In which case, I highly doubt they'd give a toss, seeing as it's not particularly impressive to take GCSEs whilst doing A Levels, and I can't see why that would be the line between giving an offer and not.
take a gap& do another 2 A levels!
Reply 18
phen
Did you ask for feedback? If yes, what did they say about your application?

I have but no reply yet. I can pretty much deduce that one reason would be my portfolio :s-smilie: I have two other rejections and they both said that my application was strong in every other area but the portfolio is a huge factor and was weak.

blue_shift86
People like u just make me laugh, haha! Maybe cambridge is not meant for u. I got worse gcse's and a levels and got into oxford (and left it!):rolleyes: Why don't u just stop trying to grasp onto cambridge. As the poster above said - it's not the only good uni. Also, it's full of toffs....i would recommend sussex, middlesex, or a middle to low uni over cambridge anyday. It's all about being around normal people - just look at the big picture OP :smile: There are more important things in life than oxbridge and academia:smile:

Yeh, its not just about the Cambridge thing its just that if I did reapply that would be the most competitive course to go for. Its mainly about the whole application :/ I got two other rejections that basically said my portfolio was weak when I thought that Art was my strongest subject. The whole process has just knocked my confidence not just academically.

LondonDreamer
This subject actually just came up at the 'A-level Choice' evening at my school in relation to taking further GCSEs in the sixth form alongside A-levels. The advice given was that universities are not really interested and would prefer you focused on extra-curricular stuff.

Thanks :smile: thats good to know. There's so many great things you can do in a gap year other than work I think I'll concentrate some of my effort on that so it would be enjoyable.

Revolution is my Name
Would it not be apparent to them when you'd taken those GCSEs? In which case, I highly doubt they'd give a toss, seeing as it's not particularly impressive to take GCSEs whilst doing A Levels, and I can't see why that would be the line between giving an offer and not.

Yeh thats what I thought but at an open day this tutor said that he found them really important cause it gives you a small amount of knowledge in many subjects. Ohwell he seemed like he was a bit out of touch with the application cylce anyway.

blue_shift86

Yeh, its not just about the Cambridge thing its just that if I did reapply that would be the most competitive course to go for. Its mainly about the whole application :/ I got two other rejections that basically said my portfolio was weak when I thought that Art was my strongest subject. The whole process has just knocked my confidence not just academically.
Reply 19
for Architecture academia really is completely dependant on your portfolio and technical ability... take a foundation year in Art and produce a really good portfolio..

Latest

Trending

Trending