The Student Room Group
It was brought about to encourage people to do their own god damn work.
Reply 2
It would be more appropriate to discuss the aims of each major allied power and how they interacted to produce the treaty of Versailles. The treaty was a compromise - not a force in its own right with its own aims.
Reply 3
Double Agent
It was brought about to encourage people to do their own god damn work.

even though you write that on a forum that is associated with a website that publishes other peoples coursework...
Reply 4
France- to destroy Germany
Britain- give Germany a slap on the wrist
USA- to make sure France and Britain were not too harsh on Germany
sbarrie2
Just as the title says...

also are there any other main points I should know about it. I already have: war guilt clause, treatment of Germany, reparations, preferential treatment for specific ethnic groups and nationalities...

Pretty much what you've said, plus disarming Germany in the hope that they wouldn't be able to invade France.

Background stuff: Britain, France and Germany made a pact where they agreed that if any of them one of them was invaded by another, the third country would come to the aid of whichever country was invaded. The hope was that Germany would be too weak to take on France, and that France wouldn't invade Germany as they would end up fighting Britain as well. Theoretically, it would end the string of conflicts between France and Germany.
Source: The Second World War, Winston Churchill

Enough of that, interesting as it is. You can do the rest yourself. :smile:
Reply 6
RyanT
It would be more appropriate to discuss the aims of each major allied power and how they interacted to produce the treaty of Versailles. The treaty was a compromise - not a force in its own right with its own aims.

so i should say that France wanted revenge and to be very harsh with germany. Britain were kind of in the middle ground - knew that germany should be punished but not antagonised. USA wanted almost no reparations placed on Germany..?
Reply 7
It was bought about by the victors of the war to punish and weaken the 'aggressors'.......sadly it was highly discriminating against the German populace and hence proved to be counter productive:extremist German nationalism conducted rampantly across the country and hence the Nazi party and the second world war and the holocaust.
Reply 8
From the perspective of which country?
sbarrie2
so i should say that France wanted revenge and to be very harsh with germany. Britain were kind of in the middle ground - knew that germany should be punished but not antagonised. USA wanted almost no reparations placed on Germany..?

Pretty much. Britain and the USA also gave some massive loans to Germany in the 1920s to help it rebuild after the war, it was only France that was particularly bitter towards Germany.
Reply 10
Well what happened is, Germany owned France. Germany kept owning France at everything.
So what France did is join Britain and America; the big boys, and attacked Germany.
Then when Germany was knocked down by Britain and America, France kicked Germany in the balls.

That is my view of the situation.
The aim of the Treaty of Versailles was to **** over Germany.

On a more serious note, the treaty was intended to recoup the Allies' war debts while hamstringing Germany's ability to become a military power in the future. Because Germany was seen as having been a primary instigator of the war, it was made to pay reparations to France.
Reply 12
The treaty of versailles's main aims were to:
- make germany accept war guilt
- disarm germany
- demilitarize the rhineland
- make germany pay (I cant remember how much) in reparations
RubyDuby
France- to destroy Germany
Britain- give Germany a slap on the wrist
USA- to make sure France and Britain were not too harsh on Germany

This.

Alse see Wilson's 14 points for the USA
Reply 14
The biggest problem with this Treaty is that we allowed France to be involved.
The French caused huge problems... French bastards.
Reply 15
pinkpenguin
This.

Alse see Wilson's 14 points for the USA

ah yep!
I wasn't sure who's points they were lol, so didn't put it

Latest

Trending

Trending