The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham - Queens Campus - Stockton-on-Tees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefragger
I've received an offer for accounting and finance, and this is my first choice. who else is going??

me! :smile: i firmed my choice. accounting and finance aswell :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
The nightlife in Stockton is terrible, I never go.
I always go to Middlesbrough which is infinitely better for nights out.
If you love going out you can go to Middlesbrough and that'll be fine, also you can get the free bus for a night out in Durham which I also do.
:smile:
Reply 22
Aw bless! Just found this. I hope you enjoyed your time at Stockton. Stockton is a TERRIBLE place, especially for students! It's full of inbreds and retards, chavs galore, narrow-minded petty little 'chip on the shoulder' people{?!} who can't abide anyone who is in the least bit different or, god forbid, may even have been brought up to be decent human beings with manners!!!!!!!! I'm a middle aged mum living in Eaglescliffe, which is on the outskirts of Stockton so believe me, I know. It boasts the widest high street in the country but contains about 3 pubs, all of which would be no-go areas for students. It's a god-forsaken dump. Yarm, which is just down the road about 4 miles, is a different kettle of fish; small town but approx. 8 pubs, lots of restaurants etc. 1 nightclub but an altogether different vibe; no-one's out to stab you!
I'm a second year pharmacy student studying on Queen's campus and would disagree about stockton. The nightlife isn't great, there's one club that has a student night every Tuesday that is decent, you always see loads of people you know there, but the colleges and course societies are always doing trips to other places like newcastle, Yarm, Leeds, etc which aren't too far away and really good fun.

I dont one know anyone who has had a bad experience of stockton, you won't get stabbed, the town was bad but is being regenerated back to how lovely it once was and the dynamic of people are changing, especially with the increase in students. There are places in Manchester, Nottingham and Leeds where my friends at other unis live which are a lot worse!

The the degree courses at Queens are amazing and the learning environment is great, I absolutely love it, it's never going to be perfect for those who have their hearts set on a big city university, but I love that I can walk to lectures in 10 minutes, in fact I'm writing this sat in bed 30 minutes before my lab starts!
Reply 24
Hi Guys,

I've got an offer for Business Management but I was originally very put off by being at Queens.
I am really looking to get involved when at uni and hopefully join many societies and the sports teams as I'm pretty sporty. I was wondering what happens with societies are they all at City? Is there much of a sports scene, especially tennis at queens? And do you feel slightly second rate being at queens as I have some mates at City who say they feel like Queen's aren't really Durham students :frown:

Tom

Original post by Cerrith
Hi People,

Im studying at Queens Campus so can probably give you somemore accurate information other than "you'll get stabbed".

Now whilst I am a mature student (only 25 though) I may not go out as much as the rest of people but there are a couple of main nights at Stockton Campus:

STUDENT

Monday - Che Bar, student only, free entry and 80p drinks
Thursday - Cornerhouse - £3 entry, 80p drinks, student only - this is the biggest student night of the week.
Friday / Saturday - College events or Durham main nights - Revolver and Planet of Sound.

Anyday - Ollies Bar - Under Mezzino - great little studenty place ran by a great couple who make all there own food and do a wonderful Sunday roast. Always people in here and easy convienent location.

Plus whilst the Waterside Bar (Stephenson and Snows Student Bar) is a little quiet it does get busier on the weekends and when football is on, PLUS has a 12ft screen so a good place to watch. Current special offer there is pint of Fosters £1.30 - cant argue at prices like that!

PLUS Always parties going on in someone flat at halls!

LOCAL

Thursday/Friday/Saturday - Dubliners Pub - closest put to the campus. Nice pub with friendly local people. Kareoke on the days listed and is always a good laugh. Plus they do two meals for £5.50 - great for student savings - this is a good place to start a night out.

Anyday - Royal Oak - Old mans pub in Stockton but cheap cheap cheap. Always got footy on its tv's - has about 30 televisions plus a big screen.

Anyday - CJ's - another sports bar type place.

If you want anymore info on the campus itsself just post on here with your questions.

Cheers

Cerrith

Original post by Billy_no_mates
There is a picture of what it will look like here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/stephenson/
I think it will have like 4 big rooms, not too sure. Not sure why you want to know what it looks like? Whats probably more important is whats going to be in there surely.

Its ok at Queens campus, I quite enjoy it. You have your close friends, and I guess you can have fun anywhere as long as you have good friends. Also, its not as bad as its made out to be I feel, everything you need is here.

I study medicine, so I dont get as much free time as other some other students, so its fine for me. I cant reccomend it enough for medicine, the teaching and course are both amazing here!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Tom,

there re are loads of societies on queens campus, I don't need to go to durham for anything but do go every once in a while just to experience something different.

i definitely feel like a durham student undoubtedly. The durham difference is found in the atmosphere, experiences and opportunities available to students, not proximity to the cathedral, and I feel at queens I have way more opportunities. I've absolutely loved my 2 years here!

Al
Reply 26
Cheers Al,

just what I wanted to hear! So there are many sports societies and teams?

Thanks,

Tom
Original post by APaterson
Hi Tom,

there re are loads of societies on queens campus, I don't need to go to durham for anything but do go every once in a while just to experience something different.

i definitely feel like a durham student undoubtedly. The durham difference is found in the atmosphere, experiences and opportunities available to students, not proximity to the cathedral, and I feel at queens I have way more opportunities. I've absolutely loved my 2 years here!

Al
Original post by cool308
Cheers Al,

just what I wanted to hear! So there are many sports societies and teams?

Thanks,

Tom

Hey, I'm at queens campus too. As far as I know, every sport is played at Queen's campus for your college. The only issue is if you join the Durham team, where you will have to travel to Durham for most of them, but that's for if you're really good and really competitive. If you just want to play at college level, we have them all here. And there's a tennis team, which you mentioned. The sports teams are just as good here as the main campus colleges.
Reply 28
I don't think crime is as bad as people make out in Stockton. Student's, like anyone, just need to be careful. Nottingham had the highest stabbings in the county just a few year ago and Nottingham is supposedly pretty nice.

Although Stockton looks a bit rough round the edges Kubar, Story Tellers, Music Lounge are all a good night out and have good live bands on fairly regularly. Also, Yarm and Norton are a short bus trip/taxi ride and they're full of lively bars. Norton for example has Highland Laddie, Canteen & Cocktails and Head of Smoke. Middlesbrough, if you can split taxi fair to make it cheap - has an amazing night club in the form of ex-theatre, Empire. Plus, Baker Street is becoming the place to be seen these days with all their trendy bars and suchlike: Twisted Lip, Sherlock's, Sticky Fingers.

There's plenty of cool places, but the best thing is it's dirt cheap. You'll rarely pay more than £6 for entry (and even that's considered on the steep side round here). The drinks are a bargain with the exception of the Dicken's Inn in Midlesbrough, which is slightly more pricey.

Quick Reply

Latest