The Student Room Group

Ludovico Einaudi grade standard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm learning it for my grade 4 but I know someone who is doing it for her gcse's which is about grade 5 so it's form grade 4-5
Reply 21
I think it's mainly to do with the musical side of his pieces, rather than the technique itself.

For example, The Swan by Saint-Saens (famous cello piece) is actually pretty easy and involves little technique and only a bit of work to do with getting the highest notes in tune; but saying that, it requires a real understanding of the style and you need to immerse yourself into the music, so it wouldn't be lower than about grade six.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of Einauldi, but I'd say there's more to his pieces than repeated arpeggiated phrases, so although I Giorni might only be about grade 3 technically, to understand the style and the message of the music requires a lot more work, so I'd say to give it justice, you'd have to be about grade 5/6.
Hi does anybody know what grade The piece Life is by Einaudi?
It is about Grade 5 as i played it for my GCSE solo piece and it had to be Grade 5 and my teacher suggested i learnt it for the exam.
Grade 3 to 4, it's not very complex, try playing this the whole way through without failing, then you will know grade 5 and 6... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Ko1gI9LcA
Original post by The Piano Man
Grade 3 to 4, it's not very complex, try playing this the whole way through without failing, then you will know grade 5 and 6... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Ko1gI9LcA

This is hardly grade 5 or 6 but rather more diploma standard. The notes are not easy to learn and requires great skill to interpret successfully.

Also OP, I think Einaudi's music is Grade 6 standard depending on the piece.
I played I Giorni recently and I am between grades 5 and 6. I think a lot of Einaudi is not that you can play the notes, but how sensitively etc you play it.
Does anyone know what standard nightbook (by Einaudi) is?
Lots of the pieces are relatively easy, I learnt I Giorgio and Bella Notre while practising for grade 2. Others, particularly in the book In a time lapse, are a bit harder: about grade 3 or 4 standard.
You see his music is not really difficult to play but the articulation of the music needs a lot of careful examination which a grade 2 student isn't required to know. I am grade 6 and I have got a lot of knowledge about this kind of stuff. Most of his music is around grade 5-6. Although, if played with very little skill and lack of articulation then a grade 2 could quite easily play it. So, if you are around the level of grade 2 then you are probably not playing the piece to its true difficulty. That is the thing with the piano it is not just about learning the piece it is about understanding the piece. Understanding music makes you a true musician. I played this piece at a recent piano competition and won so, yes I would say if played perfectly it is around grade 5-6.
I igiorni is grade 6 (edexell exam for GCSE and alevel says so) , devinere is grade 9. I don’t know about the others but look up “edexell music grade” and go to piano and find his name x
Why can’t people answer straight forward questions?? They’re not looking for an opinion 🙄! Anyway, I’ve always been told I Giorni is a grade 6!! Only a few of his pieces are below that grade! Hope this helps 😊
Reply 32
No. You're wrong. For example, Chopin's Nocturne no. 24 is harder than this and is grade 8. This isn't above a level that can be graded, it's grade 5 at a push.
Reply 33
Original post by obsessivex
Hi, I don't suppose anybody has an idea of what grade standard Ludovico Einaudi's music would be on the piano, especially I Giorni? If anybody could help I'd be grateful :smile:

the edexel gcse exam board lists i giorni as grade 6 standard and other pieces ver much depend on the piece for example divenire is listed as grade 9 (diploma) on the same list
I giorni is Grade 3 in the book Graded pieces for piano. It is a Hal Leonard Book. I believe it's a simplified version though.
(edited 2 years ago)
what grade do you think fly would be?
I'm a piano teacher and the majority of Einaudi's pieces are of a Grade 5 standard.
Original post by willowwilliam
what grade do you think fly would be?

Grade 5 most definitely. It's the off beat rhythms which are the main challenge in Fly

Quick Reply

Latest