The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Accommodation at Swansea

Scroll to see replies

I went for a visit and the student village is a bit grotty but cheap and cheerful! Appaz you also have house parties and stuff there.
The campus accommodation was mostly really nice and you'll be close to all of your lectures and stuff, but more expensive.
that's all I know, sorry I couldn't be of more help! :smile:
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 41
Once you get there you'll either be a big student village fan or a big campus fan. I lived on campus and would have hated the village, it's loud, in need of an update and ages away from uni if you're walking so not much of an incentive for those early lectures. Campus rooms are mostly newer, most are en suite and you can literally fall out of bed and land in your lectures. When i was there there were still some catered options available on campus. They seemed to be fazing these out though, in my first year it was possible to be completely catered and live on campus but in my third year i don't think you could have three meals a day, you could only get a breakfast and dinner package. Most people only had breakfast included in their package. Those living in the new en suite buildings could only go self catered. If you go self catered it is possible to buy a meal card which is essentially like buying the meal package separately, at least they used to do that when i was there. Alternatively you can just turn up at the canteen and pay as you dine. The student village is only self catered, there's on place at the village where you can buy greasy 'end of the night' food which i think is open during the day (burgers, chips etc) and there's a little shop but other than that you're only option is to go onto campus if you want a cooked meal.
Reply 42
I am really really confused about applying on Tuesday.
Has anyone been sent an email with info in it? On my email after I firmed it, it said i'd get an email with a student number on it but I haven't heard anything at all yet.
Helpp?! (:
Reply 43
I havent heard anything either, apparently it is on a letter from Admissions office
Reply 44
I just attempted to do it myself and managed to do it without the student ID, (I haven't received a letter from admissions with a student id) just type in your surname and date of birth and you should get through?
However, I think its messed up because when I tried to start an application it seems that its under the impression that I'm a returning undergraduate, not someone who is starting this September, so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow :smile:

I hope this is helpful? :smile:
Reply 45
I just applied 2 minutes past the start time, what a sadact. XD

I applied for large Student Village, then self catered campus, then ensuite etc etc. I really want to be in the village!
Cicerao
I just applied 2 minutes past the start time, what a sadact. XD

I applied for large Student Village, then self catered campus, then ensuite etc etc. I really want to be in the village!

What was the start time? I applied at about 1 and was hoping that not too many people had applied before me.

Also, what made you so keen on the village?
Reply 47
Roobagnall
What was the start time? I applied at about 1 and was hoping that not too many people had applied before me.

Also, what made you so keen on the village?

12 midday.

And, the campus accom I looked at seemed rather shabby. I wanted the village because although it's a bit further from the beach, the actual accom is very nice and I especially liked the top floor bedrooms in the houses, very big, nice kitchens too. And I was going for price and self-catering too. :yep:
Reply 48
Cicerao
12 midday.

And, the campus accom I looked at seemed rather shabby. I wanted the village because although it's a bit further from the beach, the actual accom is very nice and I especially liked the top floor bedrooms in the houses, very big, nice kitchens too. And I was going for price and self-catering too. :yep:

Most of the campus accommodation is only a few years old, the student village is very old and unless they've done up some of the accommodation there, you'll find it a lot shabbier than accommodation on campus. It's also about 3 miles from the beach. Also bear in mind that you get a weekly cleaner on campus who will clean communal areas and also empty your bin and clean your bathroom, one of ours used to do a quick hoover of our bedrooms for a cup of tea but it's not included. You don't get any cleaners at the student village.
Reply 49
pipsi
x

I know how far away it is from the beach. I went, like I said in my post. I don't need someone to empty my bins for me, really, I'm not going on holiday. :smile: I'm not really an en-suite, cleaner, catering, look after me kind of person. I'm more working class than most here, though, so... :p:
Reply 50
Cicerao
I know how far away it is from the beach. I went, like I said in my post. I don't need someone to empty my bins for me, really, I'm not going on holiday. :smile: I'm not really an en-suite, cleaner, catering, look after me kind of person. I'm more working class than most here, though, so... :p:

The cleaner is just something to bear in mind several weeks in when everyone refuses to do any cleaning or tidying up, i've seen houses at the village where you had to climb over bin bags to get into the kitchen, there were take away food containers all over, horrible stains on the carpet etc. They can get pretty gross, just because you might be clean and tidy and not bothered about having a cleaner so you can spend more time studying/enjoying uni instead of cleaning but it doesn't mean that the others you live with will be like this too. Also be aware that noise levels at the vilage can be pretty bad too. On campus if there is any noise outside of reasonable hours then a quick call to the porters can sort things out. At the village, unless things are horrendously out of hand you won't have that kind of support. Sorry if i seem a bit persistent, but it's surprising the number of people who think moving into the village will be fantastic only to regret it after week one because they didn't quite know what they were letting themselves in for. On the plus side you are allowed to bring your car if you live in the village, but you can't use it to commute to campus so what you save by living at the village will soon be spent on your bus pass.
Reply 51
pipsi
The cleaner is just something to bear in mind several weeks in when everyone refuses to do any cleaning or tidying up, i've seen houses at the village where you had to climb over bin bags to get into the kitchen, there were take away food containers all over, horrible stains on the carpet etc. They can get pretty gross, just because you might be clean and tidy and not bothered about having a cleaner so you can spend more time studying/enjoying uni instead of cleaning but it doesn't mean that the others you live with will be like this too. Also be aware that noise levels at the vilage can be pretty bad too. On campus if there is any noise outside of reasonable hours then a quick call to the porters can sort things out. At the village, unless things are horrendously out of hand you won't have that kind of support. Sorry if i seem a bit persistent, but it's surprising the number of people who think moving into the village will be fantastic only to regret it after week one because they didn't quite know what they were letting themselves in for. On the plus side you are allowed to bring your car if you live in the village, but you can't use it to commute to campus so what you save by living at the village will soon be spent on your bus pass.

Yeah...well, might be helpful to others, so thanks...my mind (and my application) is made, however... :p:
Reply 52
Cicerao
Yeah...well, might be helpful to others, so thanks...my mind (and my application) is made, however... :p:

Hope you enjoy it though, hopefully you'll have lots of fun! The village does have some advantages over campus.
I haven't applied for accommodation yet, i'm torn between the benefits of an en-suit and being able to park my car.

As i understand the student village is all shared bathroom, how is this for everyone? obviously having your own bathroom is a plus but is it a real deal sharing with three others?

And also, any tips for parking if i live on campus, is it just a case of finding a place on local streets?

thanks
Reply 54
hi :smile: Ive just put down for the student village as its pretty much all i can afford, even if i have to spend more on travel. But can someone please tell me some good things about it ? Im starting to worry already! :confused:
kaiite
hi :smile: Ive just put down for the student village as its pretty much all i can afford, even if i have to spend more on travel. But can someone please tell me some good things about it ? Im starting to worry already! :confused:

It's got quite a good night life about it. Also, you'll have the bus pass so you can go to town for no extra fee which is cool.

Also, because that's where the everyone with a car goes, chances are you'll make good friends with someone who has a car, which has benefits.
are there people who have cars and live on campus, what do they do ?
Reply 57
Samtheman89
are there people who have cars and live on campus, what do they do ?

Technically you aren't allowed to bring a car if you live on campus. You aren't allowed to park on campus so would need to find somewhere else to park your car if you brought it with you.
pipsi
Technically you aren't allowed to bring a car if you live on campus. You aren't allowed to park on campus so would need to find somewhere else to park your car if you brought it with you.

Yeah thanks, i've applied for accommodation on campus now, so i'll have to find somewhere to park thy wheels i guess.

cheers
Reply 59
Samtheman89
Yeah thanks, i've applied for accommodation on campus now, so i'll have to find somewhere to park thy wheels i guess.

cheers

When i was there a couple of people who brought their cars parked them outside a mate's house at the student village, it's fairly secure there. Alternatively it's a case of finding somewhere on one of the streets near the uni, bearing in mind it would take you around ten mins to get back to uni after parking up. You can usually get away with parking on campus over weekends and holidays, they only go round and check for permits during office hours mon - fri. If you want to bring your car on campus during the day mon - fri then you'll have to make an excuse to the guys on the gate, usually something along the lines of, 'i'm dropping off some shopping/luggage etc'. Or 'i'm picking up someone to take them to the train station etc' They'll usually let you on if you make an excuse like that but tell you to take your car off campus again once you've done whatever you said you were doing.

My boyfriend at the time used to come visit at weekends and never had a problem parking on campus.

Quick Reply

Latest