The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Accommodation at Swansea

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Oh and we also had ad hoc inspections once a term where a porter/security guy and one of the accommodation office staff members (a woman so that there was a male and female) would knock on random flats and inspect rooms to make sure they weren't horrendously bad and that people were adhering to the rules such as not taking off the restrictors on the windows (because apparently any one who has a window that opens more than two inches could potentially fall to their death) not using selotape to put up posters etc. The checks were without warning and if you weren't in your room they would go in anyway and leave a note to say it had been inspected. These ad hoc checks were done at least once a term. I know of a couple of people who got thrown out of uni when drugs were found in their rooms in plain sight - serves them right as far as i'm concerned.

On the topic of staff entering rooms without prior warning, i had a problem with my window when i lived in my 1st year room because the building was new and still 'settling' it meant that i couldn't fully close my window, i reported it to maintenance and about six weeks later (they never seem to be in a hurry) i returned from a lecture to find two workmen in my room, needless to say i wasn't told about the fact that they would be turning up.

I had a couple of run ins over the years with the accommodation office, i went to swansea as a mature student so had lived on my own for several years and was a responsible adult who had managed to look after myself just fine. They seemed to baby people a bit too much and i had a couple of run ins over stuff which was just stupid like their rules over the holiday periods, they liked to keep tabs on us (which i can understand from a fire safety point of view) but it got ridiculous at times, i wasn't allowed to stay in my accommodation over the easter weekend because there wasn't a porter on duty in the accommodation office, only the campus porter/security guys. The student village isn't as bad as far as that goes but it is a bit louder. The best part of living on campus i found was during the holidays or exam times when people decided partying until 5am was a good idea. A quick call to the porters sorted that out. I also got in trouble for moving the furniture around in my room, ffs!

The more i think about it the more i remember how crap the accommodation team was, i had a few complaints about stuff and they were never in a rush to sort them out, but as soon as someone had supposedly done something wrong they came down like a ton of bricks. Also watch out for the deposit refund at the end of the year, it takes ages to get it back and when i got mine after first year they'd taken money off me for things like selotape on the walls and windows (which i never did), fines for getting locked out my room (i never got locked out) and a fine for taking the restrictor off my window (the workmen fixing my window took it off so they could close it). After a number of calls back and forwards they eventually gave me my money back, i happened to be in swansea over the summer so demanded someone came up to my old room with me and show evidence of the selotape etc. In my final year when i moved back into halls i took £100 off my final rent payment and told them they could use my deposit to make up the £100, they didn't really argue about it, probably because of the fuss i'd made previously.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 81
Any unconditional people here had their offers? HSV033/09 :smile:
Reply 82
Penmaen in september! :biggrin:
Reply 83
For everyone who have today received their results and have got in, do you know when we find out our accommodation?

EDIT: haha, 5 minutes after posting this Swansea emailed and told me: "you should expect to receive details of the accommodation you have been allocated on Friday 20th August"
d0000dle
For everyone who have today received their results and have got in, do you know when we find out our accommodation?

EDIT: haha, 5 minutes after posting this Swansea emailed and told me: "you should expect to receive details of the accommodation you have been allocated on Friday 20th August"

Oh brilliant. I've just got over being nervous as to if I'd get in.
Now I have to find out where I live... Oh well :rolleyes:
Kilvey :biggrin:
Reply 86
Cefn Bryn :biggrin:
d0000dle
Cefn Bryn :biggrin:

Me too. On 9th floor so hoping for a nice sea view. :biggrin:
Reply 88
the.real.McKay

I hate you :frown:
Reply 89
the.real.McKay

6th floor :cool:
Langland second floor :smile:
Reply 91
Penmaen PEN0414

No idea what floor this means, or what I should do now.
Do I just have to gon log on and pay the £100?
Or do I need to sign anything?

Quote and reply please!
Thanks
Benlaw92
Penmaen PEN0414

No idea what floor this means, or what I should do now.
Do I just have to gon log on and pay the £100?
Or do I need to sign anything?

Quote and reply please!
Thanks

penmaen (new-ish building) 4th floor, flat 2, room 14 :smile:

Yup pay the £100 within 7 days (i think) and its yours !!
Reply 93
Hammers_Gal
penmaen (new-ish building) 4th floor, flat 2, room 14 :smile:

Yup pay the £100 within 7 days (i think) and its yours !!

Ah great thanks, it's just they sent me some contracts via email too and also said they would send me stuff tomorrow so I got a bit confused about what was what. I'll just pay the £100 then.

Thanks.
Benlaw92
Ah great thanks, it's just they sent me some contracts via email too and also said they would send me stuff tomorrow so I got a bit confused about what was what. I'll just pay the £100 then.

Thanks.

ok in that case just send the contracts back asap but just do it all at once, its only a couple of forms if i remember rightly - as long as they have their money, they don't tend to mind :wink:
Reply 95
My thing on the website still says
2010-2011
Status Confirmed Date
Your application was processed on 25/05/2010 25/05/2010

Does this mean I've been forgotten? :frown:
Reply 96
I have been put in Kilvey bottom floor, part catered, even though i asked for self catered en-suite....emailed them asking to change, but doubt its going to happen. anyone else in Kilvey or doing ancient history? :smile:
welshy-lad
I have been put in Kilvey bottom floor, part catered, even though i asked for self catered en-suite....emailed them asking to change, but doubt its going to happen. anyone else in Kilvey or doing ancient history? :smile:

I'm Kilvey 4th floor! You get an icecream dispenser right by your room! Exciting!!
Reply 98
Hammers_Gal
ok in that case just send the contracts back asap but just do it all at once, its only a couple of forms if i remember rightly - as long as they have their money, they don't tend to mind :wink:

Thanks +REP

Btw all i did was fill in the form online and accepted the offer and paid £100. I then got an email saying show this upon arrival to get your key. Does this mean I don't have to do anything else now?
Reply 99
welshy-lad

Hey, did you get a bunch of emails with licence agreements and things as well?

All I've done is log on to the site and agreed to my offer and paid the fee, is that all or do I need to do something else?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest