The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Accommodation at Swansea

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is probably too late, but... Horton and Penmaen are the new buildings that were used ofr the first time this year. I know the people staying there had noise issues as building works started early in the morning and throughout the day. But I'm pretty sure they would have finished this by September now.
Oxwich, Langland and caswell are all relatively new too.
tbh there's not much difference between any of them, except that that half of them are newish and the others very new... theyre basically all the same
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
i lived in penmaen this year and we had a mare of a year!!!! However everything is now complete so you should be fine if you end up there!!
Reply 3
I lived in Penmaen last year and loved it, despite all the fire alarms/building noise etc. The building work is complete now so everyone moving in there in september should have a lot less problems than we did.
Reply 4
oh penmaen was the best thing ever but we did have to put up with a lot!!! Hi Kat btw xx
I was in Horton this year and didn't have quite as many problems as those in Penmaen (probably because Horton is a much smaller building).

But the accommodation is lush and I'd definitely recommend it... apart from the building works which newbies will have no problem with!
Reply 6
I lived in Langland in my first year and Caswell in my third, rooms are generally tiny in both of those building (oxwich as well) not sure about the new ones because they were being built while i was in my third year. Each floor has one bigger room (16 rooms on each floor) because on the ground floor one room has been adapted for disabled students, the size of the room is therefore reflected in the floors above. you'll be lucky if you get one in your first year as they tend to put the flats of third years in the flats with the bigger rooms (i had the big room on my floor in my third year). You might be lucky though.

One thing to note is that swansea is rubbish at assigning people rooms, i had an unconditional offer as i was a mature student, because of getting an unconditional offer i should have had my first choice of accom. i ended up in my third choice at first (in two story hall designated the quiet hall) at the time i thought that the new buildings must have just been super popular until i found a friend who ended up in the new halls and he'd selected them as his second choice, and he didn't get his grades either so shouldn't have ended up there. i was lucky as they moved me after a few weeks into a room in the new building as a girl just hadn't turned up. in the flat i ended up in in langland, one of my flatmates had made a big point on her application form of saying she wantd to be in a non smoking flat and we had two greek girls in our flat who were constantly chain smoking (although since the introduction of the no smoking laws this wouldn't be a problem nowadays).

There were also stories of girls who had asked for single sex flats who ended up co-ed and really quiet people being stuck with loud and noisy people. i reckon they didn't pay any attention to the information people wrote on the forms and just picked names out of a hat and put them in different flats. i can understand that it is difficult for them to get it wrong occasionally but putting someone with an unconditional offer in their third choice while someone who didn't meet their offer gets the better accom and girls who specifically ask for single sex flats into co-ed flats is just wrong.
just a quick question. anyone who is in/was in swansea uni, would you recommend the student village or halls on campus?
cheers :smile:
EierVonSatan
I have moved your thread to the Swansea Unis forum, you should get a better response here :smile:

Oh cool, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Definitely campus, i know so many people who applied to be transferred to campus you wouldn't believe. Firstly, the nightlife on campus is so much better than the village where there's only woodies which closes at 11!! there's divas and jc's on campus plus loads of cafe's and the cafeteria's. Secondly, you've probably already heard the crap about BOB (bright orange bus) which runs from the village to campus it costs around £160 a term and runs about every 15 mins. However, the queue's for BOB from the village in the mornings are horrendous and i know people who have had to wait 45 minutes to get on the bus to lectures and everyone on my course who lives there are nearly always late. Then getting back to the village to campus there are always really long queues at peak times which is never nice in the cold and rain so unless you have a car and want to pay £2 a day to park, go on campus.
Reply 10
Heyy.
I lived on campus in my first year and it is definitely better than the village. So much more happens on campus than in the village. Closer to town and lectures (longer lie ins) save money on the buses, which aren't always reliable.
People say you meet more people in the village but you meet the same amount of people wherever you are, there's people around you on campus, whether they're in your flat, the flat across the hall or the floor above.
So definitely campus!
Reply 11
BOB isn't £160 a term.
It cost £140 in the firt term, £130 this term and it'll cost £115 in the third term, or you can buy an annual pass which works out much cheaper.

Also, some of the campus accommodation is about £40 more expensive than the village, we pay £64 a week on the village and one of my mates is paying £102 a week, so there's massive savings to be had on the village.

The nightlife in the Village doesn't really consist of Woody's, it's more about house partys and stuff. Also, when you hit town it also fairly cheap to get back to the village based on 7 people charing a cab.

I will admit that getting to Tesco is a pain in the arse, although CK Foodstores is just around the corner (well, kind of :wink:)
Reply 12
I am having the same trouble. I really can't decide where to live! Campus accommodation is close to lectures, recently refurbished, en-suite and no buses etc but a lot more expensive and not as much going on (so i've heard!). Then theres the student village which apparently has the life, cheaper and more students. But no en-suite and nearly 3 miles from lectures! Definitely need more current or past Swansea students to give their opinion!
Reply 13
My bruv was in Hendrefoelan student village in Swansea and he loved it. The room is really close to the WC so en-suite not too much of a problem - shower a bit grimey but he kinda got used to that. In the flats you get to know all others on that floor really well as you have a big kitchen/living room to share and there's always parties. Basically it comes down to price - he never really had much bother with the bus and mum bought the bus ticket for the first year - the extra £30/£40 a week makes a huge difference - just think how many nights out that pays for! He still ended up with a massive overdraft! Good luck
Reply 14
Hey everybody :smile:

I have one question concerning the costs of accommodation. I am a foreigner so it really concerns me. Could somebody inform me about the costs of accommodation ? Also is the cost of living cheaper when compared with other cities ? THANKS!
Reply 15
Eglu
Hey everybody :smile:

I have one question concerning the costs of accommodation. I am a foreigner so it really concerns me. Could somebody inform me about the costs of accommodation ? Also is the cost of living cheaper when compared with other cities ? THANKS!

On campus accomodation costs from around £85-£105 a week and accomodation in the village is between £55-65 a week.
Reply 16
Wow. There is a big distance about the costs on campus and in the village.

So if I want an accommodation in a village how should I find it? Or... University will help me to do it ?
thanks.
Reply 17
In addition, is University far away from the village ?
Reply 18
Eglu
In addition, is University far away from the village ?

The university is around 3 miles away from the university and about a 40 minute walk. If you are going on an open day the university usually run buses to the village.
Reply 19
If I could I would go, but it is too expensive for me to flight from Lithuania..
So if I choose an accommodation on campus it would cost approximately from £85 to 105 a week ?

Quick Reply

Latest