The Student Room Group

How dangerous is London? Going by UK show Adulthood...

Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?

Scroll to see replies

Avoid everywhere in London.
You will get stabbed

I'm being stabbed right now.
Reply 2
umm...i dont know
Reply 3
Adam G Manning
You will get stabbed

I'm stabbing him - flag says i'm a violent irish immigrant
Reply 4
TimeDivided09
Just watched an episode of a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?

London is fine. Stop watching tv

There are (as in every city), some areas that it is better to avoid (Hackney, Peckham, Lewisham and a few others), but in most cases you'll be fine.
I read (can't remember where but I think it was the Evening Standard) that the crime rate in London (so 10 million inhabitants) was actually on par with that of average american cities. Brought back to crime/person its actually not that high
It's not dangerous. Only if you act stupid in stupid areas, most of the gang violence is internal with the occasional civilian casualty.
crackingod
London is fine. Stop watching tv

There are (as in every city), some areas that it is better to avoid (Hackney, Peckham, Lewisham and a few others), but in most cases you'll be fine.
I read (can't remember where but I think it was the Evening Standard) that the crime rate in London (so 10 million inhabitants) was actually on par with that of average american cities. Brought back to crime/person its actually not that high

When I studied American politics last year, all the information we had was telling us that America was actually home to a higher crime rate, particularly for more violent crimes.

I'm from Lewisham originally though, and I've never had a problem, nor has anyone else I know from there. I think the general rule is that you're fine everywhere, unless you act like an idiot.
Reply 7
London is absolutly fine, I can't believe the reputation it has got!

I spend half my time in Birmingham and half in London - Birmingham is far more rough! It's not very intergrated and there's swarns of chavs everywhere; unlike London.
its not anywhere NEAR that dangerous... I'm black, I've lived in Croydon, Wood Green and now Islington for 3 years and I've never once been confronted. just mind ur business and dont do silly things like walking down a dark alley in Hackney at 2am in the morning because its a "shortcut"
Reply 9
TimeDivided09
Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

Get a restraining order on blacks and print this onto a t-shirt.
Reply 10
TimeDivided09

Those damn ethnics. :fuhrer:
Adam G Manning
You will get stabbed

darigan
I'm stabbing him - flag says i'm a violent irish immigrant

I must say I admire your multitasking skills, able to stab/be stabbed and yet talk on the internet at exactly the same time. Simply amazing stuff.
Reply 12
anyway no one is hard down south so don't worry yourself.
fire2burn
I must say I admire your multitasking skills, able to stab/be stabbed and yet talk on the internet at exactly the same time. Simply amazing stuff.

Well, you know, London's so rough. If you don't learn to multi task, you'd never get anything done.
Reply 14
Sakujo
Those damn ethnics. :fuhrer:

I know, right!
If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET
Reply 16
Adam G Manning
Well, you know, London's so rough. If you don't learn to multi task, you'd never get anything done.

Quite right, it was only yesterday that i was beginning a paper on "Manufacturing consent" while mugging my lecturer to pay for lunch
LosNelski90
If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you want to live out the night...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET

Bow??! Haha! Don't make me laugh!
Show me your titties before I merk your man! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Reply 19
It's exaggerated. I walk alone in the dark in all parts of London all the time (I'm a young female) and I'm absolutely fine.
As long as you don't act like a stupid **** you'll be fine.
And also, if you have dodgy, semi-racist views like that, avoid everywhere in London, cos everyone will hate you.

Quick Reply

Latest