The Student Room Group

Are they handing out medical licenses like candy now?

No offence to the students on here, I realise this doesn't apply to a large majority of doctors. I'm seriously pissed off with the NHS' quality of care at the moment.

Not long back I broke a bone in my foot. It wasn't a serious injury, but it was a compound fracture which left me at risk of infection, and I was sent home, told that I had a small fracture, with nothing but a little strapping. I had a blatantly open wound but due to the position of it, It was impossible for me to see it properly (i'm ridiculously tall). The nature of the injury and location didn't really explain why there was an open wound on my foot.

I went back a week later, at which point I got to see my own Xray from the previous week and could see a fragment of bone protruding through the skin. Nice to know an untrained English student can spot a compound fracture on an Xray and a junior doctor can't. Luckily I didn't have any infection and it's healed now to some degree.

I just found out a friend slipped and broke his ribs in the shower. His friends had to break the door down and he went to hospital, and has now been sent home without any support and no painkillers. He couldn't get through to his friend so he had to go home on the ******* bus.

Remind me, what's the point in free healthcare if you don't actually get it?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=AsystoleUK<snip>
I just found out a friend slipped and broke his ribs in the shower. His friends had to break the door down and he went to hospital, and has now been sent home without any support and no painkillers. He couldn't get through to his friend so he had to go home on the ******* bus.

the 'treatment' for uncomplicated broken ribs is rest and simple analgesia , if you pay for prescriptions the amount of paracetamol and ibuprofen you can purchase for 14.40 GBP far exceeds the amounts that would be prescribed, especially with the limitations placed on the length of courses of treatment prescribed / dispensed in the Emergency Department.

there was no clinical indication for NHS funded transport home.
Yep. Got mine with my coco pops thismorning.
No i don't think so. I think they might be handing out candy like medical licenses though.
crazylemon
Yep. Got mine with my coco pops thismorning.

Damn, all i got was a freaking law degree...i mean, what am i going to do with that?!
Don't be daft. You can't eat medical licences....
Reply 6
Why did he have to break the door down, did he fall into it? Zippy correctly addresses why the treatment was so, and how else did you think he would get home?
Reply 7
Kreuzuerk
Why did he have to break the door down, did he fall into it? Zippy correctly addresses why the treatment was so, and how else did you think he would get home?

Bathroom door, it was locked. And he couldn't get up and open it himself. So you think it's acceptable to send somebody home in pain, on public transport in middle of winter, with no painkillers?
AsystoleUK
No offence to the students on here, I realise this doesn't apply to a large majority of doctors. I'm seriously pissed off with the NHS' quality of care at the moment.

Not long back I broke a bone in my foot. It wasn't a serious injury, but it was a compound fracture which left me at risk of infection, and I was sent home, told that I had a small fracture, with nothing but a little strapping. I had a blatantly open wound but due to the position of it, It was impossible for me to see it properly (i'm ridiculously tall). The nature of the injury and location didn't really explain why there was an open wound on my foot.

I went back a week later, at which point I got to see my own Xray from the previous week and could see a fragment of bone protruding through the skin. Nice to know an untrained English student can spot a compound fracture on an Xray and a junior doctor can't. Luckily I didn't have any infection and it's healed now to some degree.

Not everyone is going to be happy and recieve the best service or care- why not make a complaint instead of complain on here if it was so important? Then maybe something could be done and investigated
AsystoleUK
Bathroom door, it was locked. And he couldn't get up and open it himself. So you think it's acceptable to send somebody home in pain, on public transport in middle of winter, with no painkillers?

do you actually know WHY he was offered no pain killers?

and the NHS doesn't have to pay for taxi's home
Reply 10
AsystoleUK

Yes. What else was he going to do, take up a bed? Otherwise, I'm sure he could have phoned for a taxi and equally visited any shop that was inside the hospital to buy some paracetamol. You mentioned he received no support, what did you have in mind?
Subcutaneous
do you actually know WHY he was offered no pain killers?

as i said in my reply , simple analgesia is far cheaper over the counter , yes the ED could have given him a small box of paracetamol and a small box of ibuprofen , the patient would then recieve a bill for 14.40 GBP a for a two item NHS prescription ....
Reply 12
How cute, the majority of people defending the NHS are NHS students or graduates. I only hope that you don't lose that passion for your job and do it half-assed.

Personally i'm glad I switched degrees before starting Nursing this September. I'd rather not work for a company that's more concerned with budget and guidelines than actual adequate patient care.
Bslforever
No i don't think so. I think they might be handing out candy like medical licenses though.

With the amount of crap doctors have to do even just to get into medical school in the first place I don't think you can really argue this.
Edit: sorry I misread. Then I direct this at OP :p:
Reply 14
Where. do. they. hand. out. candy?
:eyeball:
Reply 15
zippyRN
as i said in my reply , simple analgesia is far cheaper over the counter , yes the ED could have given him a small box of paracetamol and a small box of ibuprofen , the patient would then recieve a bill for 14.40 GBP a for a two item NHS prescription ....

It probably wasn't worth asking to be fair. I mean if it took asking four requests and 3 hours to get 2 paracetamol when I was lying with a broken tib&fib after a serious car VS pedestrian accident a few years ago, I dread to THINK how long he'd have been waiting.
zippyRN

Oh i know, I always tell people to pop to tesco after, something like 8p for a box of 12! lol

But there may be reasons why he wasn't offered it other than that, that the OP wasn't aware of and came to conclusions it was simply because the staff didn't care
Reply 17
Seriously though, I went to the Doctors because I had a rash on my face and he told me I had acne. I was given some gel to put on every night, but when I put it on it burnt like hell :frown: I'd cry after putting it on so my mum made me stop. Then she put sudocrem or something like that on it. Turns out it was eczema.

WHAT THE HELL.

Also my mum made me go the doctors for stress and my doctor made me do star jumps. Is that what you learn on the degree?
Reply 18
Kaykiie

Also my mum made me go the doctors for stress and my doctor made me do star jumps. Is that what you learn on the degree?

How big are your boobs? Maybe he was horny.
Kaykiie
Seriously though, I went to the Doctors because I had a rash on my face and he told me I had acne. I was given some gel to put on every night, but when I put it on it burnt like hell :frown: I'd cry after putting it on so my mum made me stop. Then she put sudocrem or something like that on it. Turns out it was eczema.

WHAT THE HELL.

just because they have a degree, they're not allowed to make the odd mistake here and there, wrong diagnosis maybe..they're human, and doctors do mess up but thats why you can have second opinions. For getting something wrong like acne vs eczema is hardly the crime of the century and not going to kill you

Latest