The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Check out this year's PYDC for the modules you can take.

I'm taking 144 CATS this year (normal load is 120, but it's worth doing a bit more if you can handle it to give you a 4% break or so). I did 78 CATS in the first term and 66 CATS this term and 6 next term. I found the workload of 78 a bit tiring.

The following are typical weeks (that was my busiest week last term - I didn't go to all of it mind)

1 Term

Second term I have less - it's missing about 3 hours but you can get the general idea from it.

2 Term

Living 30 minutes away from by train - is that to Coventry station. Because then you need to take a bus (the 12) to campus and I'd say that adds an additional 20-30 minutes.

The degree is manageable at the moment (it is a bit frustrating that Analysis, a subject I find quite easy, will take 3 terms to learn when Oxford do it in 2) and obviously there are more difficult modules, but these depend on your preferences and how much work you put into each module. Remember you can also choose modules from PYDC so you can do more Stats/Physics/Logic/Economics modules and try them at the beginning of term and drop them if you don't like it.

This year the STEP grade boundary for STEP I was much higher than the previous 5 years so it caught Warwick out and there was a lack of people to meet the intake (the year above has 325 (not counting drop outs) and we only have 300). So Warwick took some people who got 3s this year. [Last year, 1500 offers were made and 550 put Warwick as a firm (UK/EU students) and an additional 73 firm internationals were made. Yet only 300 people are here now. The STEP/AEA barrier is quite tough (yet not as tough as the Cambridge STEP barrier).

My advice is to take AEA as well as STEP, just as a back up. I found that STEP preparation is quite good for AEA, but go through some past papers for AEA before hand to make sure that you know what is required. Generally they take 8 questions from about 12 topics so there's not a great difference year on year. You only need ~50 to get merit and thus get in here. Regardless, STEP is very useful when preparing for a Maths course at uni so still look at those questions :yy:

Have you applied to go to a departmental open day in February or March? Have a look around and find out how long it takes to get to campus from home. No 12 requires exact change (1.50 for a single, 2.90 for return).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
TheTallOne, has pretty much said it all really.
I have 27 hours a week this term, whereas last term was about 20, just depends which modules you choose. It is quite a lot more than most degrees, things like history have about 10/12 but then again we have no extra reading to do....

I would definitely not recommend living at home. I have some friends who have done that and they feel like they're really missing out on the uni life, also we have 9AM starts pretty much everyday, and buses will be really busy/slow at that time of morning, so you'd have to leave really early. I suppose it is possible but from what I've heard I wouldn't recommend it, unless your willing to miss out on alot of the uni life.

Maths degrees generally are fairly hard, mainly because they're very different to a-levels. But it's not overly hard, not yet anyway :P especially if you go to all lectures, supervisions etc

You'll be pretty lucky to get in with a 3. I agree you should definitely do the AEA, if you've prepared for step, it makes AEA much easier, and you don't have to put in much more work imo.
Reply 3
yeh im going to the open day next wensday so i can have a good look around. Warwick is the only uni i really want to go to but the step/aea requirements make me think I will not get in. yeh that is coventry station if it seems like too much of a journey everyday i will probably end up staying there. how easy is it to move down from g103 to g100?
Reply 4
ajay_ganger
how easy is it to move down from g103 to g100?

From what I've heard from people in other years, you get a form from the office, get your tutor to sign, and then it's done, so very easy! :smile:
Reply 5
I'll see you on Wednesday, ajay :smile:
ajay_ganger
how easy is it to move down from g103 to g100?

More than easy, if you don't do well enough in your 2nd year, you'll be moved down automatically. Happens to a lot of people! Otherwise I think you can move down right until the end of 3rd year (in that if you make a right hash of it, you can graduate there and then with a BSc rather than continue for another year and fail the MMath).
I think it's still possible to get the BSc in your fourth year if you still do awfully in the MMath.

Check out the PYDC for the ultimate flowchart.
Reply 8
math at warwick is bit of a bitch... normally load is 120 cats... but your can extend upto 180...
But if you do above 150 cats... you don't get any extra credit...
you can take one module from any stream- be it law, econ, english, wbs... whatever you want

math is hard... and they make it harder for you by taking tests almost weekly... in my first year i had like 30 hours of lectures a week...
princess1729
More than easy, if you don't do well enough in your 2nd year, you'll be moved down automatically. Happens to a lot of people! Otherwise I think you can move down right until the end of 3rd year (in that if you make a right hash of it, you can graduate there and then with a BSc rather than continue for another year and fail the MMath).

Why does this deserve neg rep?

Latest