The Student Room Group

What are your WEAKNESSES?

Hello :biggrin:

I've been discussing possible questions that may come up at interview, and I got stuck at this question; how much to let on, what not to say, avoiding cliche etc

I thought this might be an opportunity to discuss and possibly give hints as to how to overcome weaknesses?

The problem I had when I came to that question is that whenever I realise I have a weakness, I try to get rid of that weakness so perhaps something you could do is talk about a weakness you're overcoming if that makes sense?

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Umm...im a Slow learner.
Reply 2
Cravez
Umm...im a Slow learner.

Is that something you'd say at interview though?

My old man has done a few interviews at his work; he says that taking a weakness and trying to twist it into something thats actually positive is irritating and off-putting as the interviewee isn't really answering the question. What's your take on that Oh Fabulous TSRers? :P
Reply 3
Call it a challenge rather than a weakness and tell them about the steps you've taken to try to improve on it.

At an interview yonks ago (non medical) I touched on my critical writing for instance.
Reply 4
Forgetfulness and laziness. I'd never mention the latter at an interview.
I daydream quite a lot and have a short attention span, this of course would never be mentioned in an interview :rofl:
Reply 6
I push myself/work too hard is the textbook answer.
MoonwalkBaby
Is that something you'd say at interview though?

My old man has done a few interviews at his work; he says that taking a weakness and trying to twist it into something thats actually positive is irritating and off-putting as the interviewee isn't really answering the question. What's your take on that Oh Fabulous TSRers? :P

nope, but that was not included in the question. all you asked was, what are you weaknesses.
Reply 8
If I told you that I'd have to kill you :wink:

Mainly procrastination.
I have none :P a common one among medics overconfidence.
Laziness, bad handwriting and being facetious too much of the time.
i cant touch type,
but ive got a disk to help me learn, and i type quite fast regardless anyway

edit: i didnt read that this was for a medicine interview sorryy
I think the best tip I've got for this question is to turn something negative (weakness) into a strength. For example I know my weakness is that I spend a lot of time on a single project/assignment...i guess you could call it perfectionist. But in turn, being a bit of a perfectionist means that i put 110% effort into my work and it will be accurate/well done. I think the worst part is just to dwell about your weakness and not see any positives in it. You want to "show off" yourself to the interviewer, not tell them why you shouldn't be doing medicine. No one is perfect - every one has a weakness so obviously don't tell the interviewer you have none. I hope this makes sense...

Also other weaknesses i have is that I'm lazy and procrastinate. obviously two things that i wouldn't tell the interviewer.
laziness and procrastination
Reply 14
Could I say that on occasions I leave pieces of work - that I'm not particulary interested in - to the last minute? Or, would that come across really bad for a med school interview?
Reply 15
P.R.O.C.R.A.S.T.I.N.A.T.I.O.N :no:
Reply 16
I don't think you should go there...just in case don't risk it :smile:
Reply 17
I would say something like 'if I'm not interested in a piece of work then I lack motivation' but then I would turn it around and say 'so I try and use different learning techniques to find ones that suit me and research the topic to find a theme within it which I can find interesting'.

Always make a bad thing a good thing :biggrin:
Well, my bench press is quite a bit weaker than my squat and deadlift, so I would say that is my weakness.

amirite?
Reply 19
Laurie161
I would say something like 'if I'm not interested in a piece of work then I lack motivation' but then I would turn it around and say 'so I try and use different learning techniques to find ones that suit me and research the topic to find a theme within it which I can find interesting'.

Always make a bad thing a good thing :biggrin:

Thats a good answer. It's not that I'm lazy or anything, it's just if somethings really dull, I find it hard to sit down, and do it :colone::

Latest

Trending

Trending