The Student Room Group

A little advice please.

Hi guys,
I'm a mature student I recently got back into education. I've got to say that I'm loving every minute of it. I dropped out of school and never took any GCSE exams, even though I was actually meant to be taking the higher tier papers. I know, I know, I'm kicking myself for it now. I really wished that I had taken them. Anyway, lets not dwell on the past, its the future that counts. Since I left school I had been working in a bank, which I've found so boring, wasting my life doing something that I'm not enjoying.

As I stated above, I recently returned to education and I've obtained these grades.

English - B
Maths -B
Core Science - B
Biology - A

I have been offered a place studying A levels later this year in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and maybe English Literature. I understand my situation is rather complicated and I was wondering if I could get some advice? While studying my A levels do you think its a good idea to take a few more evening class GCSE's? Like Psycology? Or maybe even Human Physiology? It's very limited around where I live there seems to be a lack of GCSE courses on offer. I've saved up enough money to support me through the next 2 years while I study my A levels. I really hope I make the grades to apply for Vetinary Medicine. Also, do you think that Universitys will frown upon my GCSE resits? Even though it really wasnt me at the time.

Also, go easy on me please. :biggrin:
Hi :smile:
If its possible, I would say it would be helpful to take a few more GCSEs, perhaps English Literature )though perhaps not if you do A Level), a foreign language and history/geography, to give you the breadth most people will have.It would also be great if you could get GCSEs in either Additional Science or Chemistry and Physics. Obviously, you won't want to do all of the above but they would be what I would consider.
To get into veterinary medicine you'll need to get at least AAB in your science A Levels. You'll also need probably a minimum of 10 weeks work experience (4 in vet practise, 6 animal related such as stables, kennels) and I don't know how you'd balance fitting that in with allyour studies if you take GCSEs as well.
I don't know how the universities will see it, however they do not seek to penalise people for past mistakes and do realise that people and their circumstances will change. If it was 'extenuating circumstances' such as illness or bereavement that prevented you from taking GCSEs, make sure this is included in the reference with your application. It would be good to explain your situation a bit in your personal statement anyway, and get your referee to back it up. Contact the uni admissions offices for detailed advice.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Have you considered doing an access course? I too am an mature student and completed an access course over a year. I doubt Universities frown on resits. I think choosing to study as you have proves you actually want to study.

I know at the college I did my access course there was a medical pathway for students wanting a future in medicine.
ClaireW2708
If its possible, I would say it would be helpful to take a few more GCSEs, perhaps English Literature )though perhaps not if you do A Level), a foreign language and history/geography, to give you the breadth most people will have.It would also be great if you could get GCSEs in either Additional Science or Chemistry and Physics. Obviously, you won't want to do all of the above but they would be what I would consider.
To get into veterinary medicine you'll need to get at least AAB in your science A Levels. You'll also need probably a minimum of 10 weeks work experience (4 in vet practise, 6 animal related such as stables, kennels) and I don't know how you'd balance fitting that in with allyour studies if you take GCSEs as well.
I don't know how the universities will see it, however they do not seek to penalise people for past mistakes and do realise that people and their circumstances will change. If it was 'extenuating circumstances' such as illness or bereavement that prevented you from taking GCSEs, make sure this is included in the reference with your application. It would be good to explain your situation a bit in your personal statement anyway, and get your referee to back it up. Contact the uni admissions offices for detailed advice.

This is good advice. I really would contact each veterinary university separately and explain your circumstances, making it clear what grades you already have, and what you plan on doing. Theyre usually really helpful. We can suggest loads of things, but its probably best to get the word from the horse's mouth, and individual uni's can differ in requirements too! Good luck!
Reply 4
ClaireW2708

Hi Claire, you're a star! Thank you very much for your advice.
Reply 5
LondonMinx
Have you considered doing an access course? I too am an mature student and completed an access course over a year. I doubt Universities frown on resits. I think choosing to study as you have proves you actually want to study.

I know at the college I did my access course there was a medical pathway for students wanting a future in medicine.

There are no access to medicine courses in my area unfortunatly :frown:.
Esteta
Hi Claire, you're a star! Thank you very much for your advice.

Haha, you're welcome :smile:
Feel free to post any other questions, everyone is helpful.
Also, read the stickies at the top of the forum, in particular the vet med application guide.
Esteta
Also, do you think that Universitys will frown upon my GCSE resits?

If anything it shows commitment, dedication, motivation, etc and that's exactly how I'd describe it if I was in your position and was ever asked about it at interview.

A-levels wise you need at least two sciences (ie; chem and bio - minimum) and GCSE wise a good pass in maths, physics and english depending upon what you take at A-level (ie; if you do maths at A-level and get a decent grade getting a decent pass at GCSE is going to be superfluous).

Make sure you get plenty of work experience and if you haven't done so already, your Gold D of E to make yourself stand out.
Reply 8
Hi

Well just from gut feeling if you're really serious about studying VetMed then I wouldn't bother taking English Lit A level, it will just take up some of your valuable time when you could be concentrating on your sciences and getting an A :smile:

GCSE-wise, human physiology would probably be very useful, there isn't that much difference between human and animal physiology most of the time, some of the text books we used were human medicine ones.

Don't worry about being a mature student - I'm 34 and in my 3rd year and it's great. I've always wanted to be a vet and now I finally get my chance :biggrin: (Can't help with any practical admissions advice though as I live in Vienna, my course is in German and I applied as a graduate)

Good luck!
Reply 9
clair0511
Hi

Well just from gut feeling if you're really serious about studying VetMed then I wouldn't bother taking English Lit A level, it will just take up some of your valuable time when you could be concentrating on your sciences and getting an A :smile:

GCSE-wise, human physiology would probably be very useful, there isn't that much difference between human and animal physiology most of the time, some of the text books we used were human medicine ones.

Don't worry about being a mature student - I'm 34 and in my 3rd year and it's great. I've always wanted to be a vet and now I finally get my chance :biggrin: (Can't help with any practical admissions advice though as I live in Vienna, my course is in German and I applied as a graduate)

Good luck!

Hi Clair! Glad you're enjoying the studying! So you think I should only take 3 A levels?
Reply 10
Esteta
Hi Clair! Glad you're enjoying the studying! So you think I should only take 3 A levels?

Im not Claire obviously but yeah take 3 A levels and possibly a AS ... thats what most of us have, and it will give you some spare time to either work or get some work experience :smile:

Unis will usually only make offers on 3 A levels - Normally AAB to A*AA depending on the uni, however if you take 4 they can make a offer on 4 ... I asked at Cambridge and at Nottingham if I should stick with 4 or drop one and do 3, and was recommended to do 3, to make sure I got the best grades I could.
Reply 11
Have you rung up any of the veterinary colleges and discussed with them what they might be looking for in your situation? It seems to me that doing so would give you some realistic goals to aim for as opposed to guesswork!!

Good luck.
Reply 12
I would seriously advise contacting each of the 7 Unis (in case you don't know, which I'm sure you do, they are Bristol, Nottingham, Cambridge, Liverpool, RVC in London, Edinburgh and Glasgow) individually, send them an email or ring them up, and explain your situation, because they can give you really good advice which is completely relevant to you. Ask to speak to the admissions tutor, or send an email asking them what they think would be the best course of action.

Work experience is also a must, but most of the time it isn't too hard to organise and it is really fun!

And do consider the gateway courses, I don't know much about them but they might be a good option to think about! Other than that, good luck! (Sorry if what I said is a bit repetitive of stuff above!)
Reply 13
Esteta

Yes, as FireandIce said, any additional A levels do not interest the admissions people at Vet School. And TBH I would think that something like English Lit would interest them even less than any vaguely useful A levels like maths :biggrin: Your time could be much better spent on your sciences.

They do like you to be an all-rounder - sports, music etc, but I don't think that includes taking excessive unnecessary A levels!

As oaktrees said, contact the unis themselves and get advice on your particular situation

Latest

Trending

Trending