The Student Room Group

Tesco store ban shoppers who wear pyjamas

Poll

Would you ever wear pyjamas to the shops?

A Tesco store has asked customers not to shop in their pyjamas or barefoot.

Notices have been put up in the chain's supermarket in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: "Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted."

A spokesman said Tesco did not have a strict dress code but it does not want people shopping in their nightwear in case it offends other customers.

He said he was not aware of any other Tesco stores having to put up similar signs.

The signs are placed at the entrance to the store, on the city's outskirts.

They read: "To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)." The spokesman said: "We're not a nightclub with a strict dress code, and jeans and trainers are of course more than welcome. "We do, however, request that customers do not shop in their PJs or nightgowns.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8484116.stm

How exactly can people be offended at the sight of others wearing pyjama bottoms? :confused:

Am I missing something or is Tesco just using stupid reasoning for its dress code? As long as people aren't naked and flopping their bits over everything people should wear whatever they please in my opinion.

Edit: Added a poll :smile:

Scroll to see replies

More importantly - who goes out without any shoes on? Oh, I've got up, need milk, I'll go to Tesco, CBA to put shoes on??? Wtf?
Reply 2
Some forms of middle-eastern dress bare a striking resemblance to baggy gent jim-jams - is this actually an attempt by tesco to stop people from the middle east that wear those clothes from coming into the shop? Racists!!!
Paul Bartram
More importantly - who goes out without any shoes on? Oh, I've got up, need milk, I'll go to Tesco, CBA to put shoes on??? Wtf?

This.

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
Paul Bartram

get with the times!
Reply 5
:holmes: Wonder what their policy is on dressing gowns...
Reply 6
superwolf
:holmes: Wonder what their policy is on dressing gowns...

That's considered night attire too. Although at a push one could presumably try to claim that it is a smoking jacket, but then they'd probably try to kick you out if you lit a pipe to complete the image :frown:
BackDoorEntry
get with the times!

Atleast wear slippers!!!!
Why would any one want to go shopping in their pjs anyway?
Reply 9
Paul Bartram
Really??? It seems to be possible to link racism to everything. It's not racism, Tesco's normally have indian counters at the back, so why would this class as discrimination?

they even relegate the indian counters to the back - your helping me to paint a poor picture of Tesco :p:
Ah this thread's funny. I dunno why they had to say 'Jeans and trainers are more than welcome' though, as if that still might be pushing it or something.
Reply 11
Paul Bartram
Atleast wear slippers!!!!

I am currently wearing slippers as I type this message but I defend the rights of the slipperless under classes to remain bare foot! They can't help being uncultured, it's in their genes.
if people are too lazy ass to get ready to go to the shops then they deserve to be banned, come on now who the **** goes out in their PJs and have you seen some of the pjs females wear these days they are little more than undies so yes i do think they are right to ban it

as for the barefoot thing, again who the **** goes out with no shoes on, retards probably but yeah its common sense to ban it, if someone goes into tescos barefoot, stands on something and cuts their foot they would be suing the arse off tescos even though it was their own stupid fault and lack of common sense
Reply 13
BabyGirl92
Why would any one want to go shopping in their pjs anyway?

Loads of people do it, when I worked in a news agents for a while on a sunday morning you'd get all the middle aged men coming in to buy their paper whilst wearing pyjama bottoms and a coat over the top.
Reply 14
Paul Bartram
Really??? It seems to be possible to link racism to everything. It's not racism, Tesco's normally have indian counters at the back, so why would this class as discrimination?

Sense the tone
Reply 15
This happened in St Melon's Cardiff?

That's like...5 mins away from me. :holmes:
Reply 16
I wouldn't have the nerve to go out in PJs, and I've never seen anyone else do it. I can't believe people do, it's ridiculous! I've seen a couple of people walking around in their curlers and that was bad enough lol
fire2burn
That's considered night attire too. Although at a push one could presumably try to claim that it is a smoking jacket, but then they'd probably try to kick you out if you lit a pipe to complete the image :frown:

Hmm, so I suppose shuffling in in a sleeping bag is also out of the question...

Seriously though, in the summer I wander around barefoot all the time. Okay so it's a little weird, but sainsburys have never had a problem with it...
While it probably is mostly men you see wearing pyjamas, the odd totty makes it all worthwhile imo.
Reply 19
*MJ*
This happened in St Melon's Cardiff?

That's like...5 mins away from me. :holmes:

Quick! Get your PJs on, take your shoes off, and try to buy some milk

Latest

Trending

Trending