The Student Room Group

Pharmacy to Medicine

I have got an offer from Nottingham for Pharmacy. Pharmacy at Nottingham is my back up choice. I applied for Dentistry but because of my poor english grade at GCSE ( I got a C) they are rejecting me.

I got AABB at AS and am predicted AAA at A2. I don't really want to take a gap year. So is it possible to do well in the first 2 years of my pharmacy course and then switch from Pharmacy to Medicine at nottingham half way through?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have got an offer from Nottingham for Pharmacy. Pharmacy at Nottingham is my back up choice. I applied for Dentistry but because of my poor english grade at GCSE ( I got a C) they are rejecting me.

I got AABB at AS and am predicted AAA at A2. I don't really want to take a gap year. So is it possible to do well in the first 2 years of my pharmacy course and then switch from Pharmacy to Medicine at nottingham half way through?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 2
Medic1992

I got AABB at AS and am predicted AAA at A2. I don't really want to take a gap year. So is it possible to do well in the first 2 years of my pharmacy course and then switch from Pharmacy to Medicine at hottingham half way through?

Thanks in advance.

Hottingham hehe there are meant to be some fit people there loool
Reply 3

I got AABB at AS and am predicted AAA at A2. I don't really want to take a gap year. So is it possible to do well in the first 2 years of my pharmacy course and then switch from Pharmacy to Medicine at Nottingham half way through?

Thanks in advance.
Why is it always medicine that keeps popping up in the main discussions? ¬.¬
Reply 5
LaughingBro
Why is it always medicine that keeps popping up in the main discussions? ¬.¬

Don't know, lol. I don't mind doing pharmacy at Nott ( It's a good uni for pharmacy) but I was just wondering if you can do some years of pharm and then transfer to medicine?

Medicine would cover a whole lot more of stuff than pharmacy.
Reply 6
nottingham have this thing where you do a course for one year can't remember what its called and then if you do well in that you can do medicine. Leeds do it with Bradford aswell.

But if you want to do dentistry why do medicine?
Reply 7
cgpas
nottingham have this thing where you do a course for one year can't remember what its called and then if you do well in that you can do medicine. Leeds do it with Bradford aswell.

But if you want to do dentistry why do medicine?

I was always interested in Medicine. The problem was that I couldn't get any good work exp in a hospital, GP ect. I've done loads of work exp in a dentist though.

What so if you do very well in the first year of pharm, then you can transfer to medicine? Will I have to start the Med course from the begining (So 1 year from pharmacy + 5 years for Med?).

Have you got any other sources to tell me that Nottingham can do this? ( I tried to look at the Nottingham website but couldn't find it).
Reply 8
its not pharmacy its another course.
i went to Nottinghams medicine open day, and they mentioned it then.

Might be biomed or something.
Reply 9
You originally applied to dentistry... but you want to switch to medicine..?? :curious:
Why did you choose dentistry, and why would you switch to medicine after choosing dentistry? Honest answer now, none of the generic ***** you've been taught to regurgitate to interview panels...
Reply 11
Sarah182
You originally applied to dentistry... but you want to switch to medicine..?? :curious:

I know.. I got a little confused when I read that.. =S
Reply 12
munim
I know.. I got a little confused when I read that.. =S

My Back up choice is pharmacy at Nottingham ( Which I have an offer for). I was wondering if you do well in the first year in Pharmacy then can you transfer to Medicine?...
Medic1992

Thanks in advance.

I really, really doubt it.
Reply 14
Medic1992
I applied for Dentistry but because of my poor english grade at GCSE ( I got a C) they are rejecting me.

Medic1992
My Back up choice is pharmacy at Nottingham ( Which I have an offer for). I was wondering if you do well in the first year in Pharmacy then can you transfer to Medicine?...

Well you said you applied for dentistry.. And now you're asking to switch from pharmacy to medicine? Erm.. Why do you want to do this? I'm just curious..

I don't think it is possible to switch from pharmacy to medicine at Notts. You could ask them though. =]
In a word, dont. This would be insane. You would have to start from 1st year medicine AND pass whichever year you were in before they would consider you. Medicine and Pharmacy are too different to transfer from one to the other. Medicine has anatomy and dissection; pharmacy has loads of chemistry and formulation science. You are better off taking a gap year than going on to an extremely hard course like pharmacy if you are not really interested in being a pharmacist.
Reply 16
If you want to know ring up the university and ask.
Reply 17
Medic1992

Thanks in advance.

No, if anything the only time they would let you transfer is year 1 and thats if you get above 70% and hassle the admission tutors like mad so that they can consider you.

Otherwise, past that they will just say go and finish your degree and apply....trust me I know :smile:
Reply 18
I'm fairly sure you cannot do that. And even if you could you would need to meet the GCSE criteria for medicine at notts and I believe they will not accept a C grade in english GCSE. You would need to complete the MPharm and then apply as a graduate to medicine after your prereg year - i.e in 5 years time. I'm confused as to why you are choosing medicine after getting rejected from dentistry and then putting pharmacy as your back up? I would seriously suggest you get some work experience in a hospital/ volunteer work at your local hospital which is pretty easy to get before making the decision - medicine and dentistry may have similar university courses but the careers are totally different and the reality of medicine as a career is that it is a lot more tough than a 9-5 job as dentist. E.g dentists tend to earn more and have much better life styles than your average medic. You do realise if that you study biomedical science for 3 years you can apply to graduate dentistry courses which are 4 years long - may be that is more suitable for you?
Reply 19
Medic1992

More likely in 1st year then 2nd. After 1st they will tell you to complete your degree and apply for graduate entry.

But even trying to transfer from pharmacy to medicine is hard enough, you are competing not only with 1st pharmacy students but other 1st year science related student. In addition to getting top grades in your 1st year.

Instead, I suggest you reapply for medicine during your 1st year.

Latest

Trending

Trending