Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bickering

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    yes but her post count is NOT reflective of that
    lol damn it one I'm not a girl >.<

also it's because honestly I don't see many threads here worth posting too. I only really post to ones that have discussions to them or interest me, so the ones that are just general chit chat I don't really post on.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    So what? I've been around for a while (June - although I registered later) and my post count is relatively low. People just didn't post so much. All of a sudden everyone seems to have over 1000 posts!

Ben
    we take people who just joined at face value

unreg time doesnt count
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    we take people who just joined at face value

unreg time doesnt count
    I didn't think I would be so addicted! I used to stick 'Ben' at the bottom of my old posts, though.

Ben
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think I would be so addicted! I used to stick 'Ben' at the bottom of my old posts, though.

Ben
    so?

you joined before me......but i dont post spam so i am obviously more dedicated to the forum
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so?

you joined before me......but i dont post spam so i am obviously more dedicated to the forum
    There's a difference between 'spam' and useless rubbish. Generally I only post to help people (apart from now, obviously) - the LEARNING part of uk-learning (so you could say that I am dedicated to the cause of the forum). Recently, I think, less emphasis has been placed on question and answer and, instead, people just 'talk'. It doesn't bother me - but that is why some people have high post counts.

Ben
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so?

why do you assume ben posts spam?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    He seems the type
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I don't think he meant that - just that he doesn't post spam, so his post count is legitimately high.

Ben
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    said by a newbie :rolleyes:
    I wish people would give up this newbie-inferiority theory. Just because someone is new doesn't mean they don't have valid and intelligent things to say. curryADD, in my eyes you're a newbie. Hell, from where I'm standing, the majority of the frequent posters are! It wouldn't be very good if I went around assuming implicit inferiority on these grounds now would it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    I wish people would give up this newbie-inferiority theory. Just because someone is new doesn't mean they don't have valid and intelligent things to say. curryADD, in my eyes you're a newbie. Hell, from where I'm standing, the majority of the frequent posters are! It wouldn't be very good if I went around assuming implicit inferiority on these grounds now would it?
    Hear hear
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes - the sense-master is back (that was meant to sound sincere, by the way). Your post count isn't particularly high, I notice!

Ben
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes - the sense-master is back (that was meant to sound sincere, by the way). Your post count isn't particularly high, I notice!

Ben
    Yes, I also believe post-count is a very poor marker of contribution. Anyone can post one-liners to build it up and up. The only marker we can use as to someone's 'standing' in the forum is the frequency of useful, helpful and contributory posts. Unfortunately we have no such automated post-count (for obvious AI-related reasons ) Since when has having 3000 copies of 'lol' make someone a beneficial member? The rep system attempts to fill this gap and IMO fails miserably. It's far too open to abuse as was exhibited by the recent use of it as currency in the spate of parties. I'm sure it's also often exchanged between members. It's a pretty nieave idea really.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I also believe post-count is a very poor marker of contribution. Anyone can post one-liners to build it up and up. The only marker we can use as to someone's 'standing' in the forum is the frequency of useful, helpful and contributory posts. Unfortunately we have no such automated post-count (for obvious AI-related reasons ) Since when has having 3000 copies of 'lol' make someone a beneficial member? The rep system attempts to fill this gap and IMO fails miserably. It's far too open to abuse as was exhibited by the recent use of it as currency in the spate of parties. I'm sure it's also often exchanged between members. It's a pretty nieave idea really.
    Might I also add that it was Mr White who initiated the rep idea. And that this forum is for fun as well as for work. And what is this "obvious AI-related reasons"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you could write us something couldnt u rich???

oh and ure behind, most the parties imploded
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it was fine when the forum was full of teachers etc. - but not now. Adhsur's 'rep' is a perfect example (no offence) - people just ask for rep in exchange for compliments!

Ben
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)

Most, but some still cling to their beliefs...awaiting an overlord to rule them all
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)

LOL. My point is that I don't think a feasible rep system could be written without AI which is able to judge how helpful/useful/contributory a post is.

What would be interesting is if we wrote a script to trawl the UKL database and create a wordcount for every member... then multiply the post count by that, or some linear function thereof, and I think that would be a better (although no where near perfect) measure of contribution.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    LOL. My point is that I don't think a feasible rep system could be written without AI which is able to judge how helpful/useful/contributory a post is.
    yeah i know, my point was im sure u could invent it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    yeah i know, my point was im sure u could invent it!
    Hmm... perhaps a simple intelligent bot for this purpose would not be too hard... *considers the possibility*, however I currently have far too much to do as it is!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... perhaps a simple intelligent bot for this purpose would not be too hard... *considers the possibility*, however I currently have far too much to do as it is!
    would you be offendeed if i moved ure announcement now that hes gone? its getting cluttered and with long quotes dfoesnt fit!
Updated: December 22, 2003
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.