The Student Room Group

Your opinion?

Hey there.

I'm going to be starting in Winstanley College in September and I've always been wondering if I have done the right thing in choosing the AS subjects I want to try. Here they are..

Maths
Computing
Physics
Photography
Business Management
+ General Studies (Compulsory)

Keep in mind I'm a complete boffin at the first 3 subjects so they aren't really worrying me. I'm generally a fantastic grade performer and I expect most of my grades to be A/A* with maybe the odd B.. and that's without being too optimistic. I'm a *bit* of a geek :biggrin:

I know I'm going to have a lot of work on my plate, but am I going to have too much? Has anyone ever had a combination like this or can imagine what it would be like? I can handle homework and assignments fine, I'm just worried that I'll be totally dragged into it with no social time to spare.

Your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Marky Mark
Hey there.

I'm going to be starting in Winstanley College in September and I've always been wondering if I have done the right thing in choosing the AS subjects I want to try. Here they are..

Maths
Computing
Physics
Photography
Business Management

Keep in mind I'm a complete boffin at the first 3 subjects so they aren't really worrying me. I'm generally a fantastic grade performer and I expect most of my grades to be A/A* with maybe the odd B.. and that's without being too optimistic. I'm a *bit* of a geek :biggrin:

I know I'm going to have a lot of work on my plate, but am I going to have too much? Has anyone ever had a combination like this or can imagine what it would be like? I can handle homework and assignments fine, I'm just worried that I'll be totally dragged into it with no social time to spare.

Your opinion?

well, computing, photography and business management are extremely easy, and with little work you will be able to do well. I would be worrying about your university applications however (if you choose this path) because they are completely disrespected, almost as much as general studies. And btw, AS levels are very easy, and will take up very little time if you are as clever as you suggest you are, and so i wouldnt worry about your 'social time'
I can only give you my experience so here goes...

I did math, phys, chem, business studies and art, dropping business after AS.i enjoyed my A levels and it was never so stressful that i couldnt cope, sure you did get a little stressed but if you are hardworking you know that stressing wastes time :smile:.

Granted i didn't take General Studies as well, but general consensus was that it was easy.

The maths and physics complemented each other well (its the mechanics module, its virtually identical in both subjects).

The business side was extremely interesting and fun, and i was glad i did it. Although i had to work a bit harder there because i'm not an 'essay' person.

The Art I did corresponds to your Photography. It was a great relaxing lesson, where you used a different part of your brain. It almost doesnt feel like a lesson at all, until the last few weeks where we had to finish our coursework books. That was slightly stressy, but as I had been filling it in over the year, there wasnt a huge amount to do at the end.

I dont really consider myself a boffin, and i got AAAAA at AS. I still managed to go out on weekends and get the work done. It just calls for good organisation on your behalf.
Marky Mark
Hey there.

Maths
Computing
Physics
Photography
Business Management

Your opinion?

Maths

even I will prob get a B! :eek:

basically thats easy peasy for a *geek*:rolleyes:

Computing

dunno, i did ICT tho, that was easy to learn

basically it will prob be easy for a *geek* :rolleyes:

Physics

:afraid: it's evil, but you can do good if your a true *geek* :rolleyes:

umm, maths and physics go together like a positron and an proton.......:eek: wait a sec.. :hmmmm:
Reply 4
well mate.. u look so confident .. and .. a good student .. keep the university aims in ur mind.. the only factors.. involved r .. "interest" and "hardwork" u seem u have those 2.. then .. go for it.. best of luck... lols.. mate.. u dun seem geek to me..
Reply 5
Dwight66
well, computing, photography and business management are extremely easy

WHAT!!!! Id love to know what computing you did but I found many parts of it suicidaliy hard!!! In a thread on here of hardest subjects it appeared many times, and quite a few people (including myself) would say it’s much harder than chemistry (arguably one of the hardest subjects)

Oh and to to guy with the original post, dont worry about you options, you can usualy change them in the first term anyway, but by the looks of it its a nice intersting mix so at least you wont get board soing simmilar subjects all week like like I did :mad:
Reply 6
I wouldn't do business, computing AND photography... they're quote easy subjects so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to cope. If you are as smart as you suggest, I'd say you should exchange one of them with something more traditional to help your university application, and drop the second of the two 'easy' (I know they're not - but it'll benefit you on your application form) when you go to A2.
Reply 7
Marky Mark
Hey there.

Maths
Computing
Physics
Photography
Business Management

Your opinion?

You are lucky that you are going to Winstanley College, it's like the best college in Wigan or something like that.

It's up to you what you want to do at A-level and what to do at university. In my opinion, I would take the first three subjects (i.e. maths, computing, and physics) if you want to do a computing related degree. I would choose a maximum of 4 AS levels to start with, then drop one during year 13 if you want. The fourth A-level might be business as it will balance between maths computing and physics.
Reply 8
Maths
Computing
Physics
Photography
Business Management

Maths, Physics and Computing are fine. You might want to reconsider photography and business management unless you're really keen on those subjects.

I expect most of my grades to be A/A* with maybe the odd B..

You can't get A* at A-Level, unless you were talking about GCSEs in which case I appologise for my confusion with the future tense.

Whatever you do, you'll be able to manage if you put enough effort in :smile:
Reply 9
I think you;ll be fine because Maths and Physics will be respected enough to get you into a good uni but maybe swap one of your other subjects for another science or History/English to boost your application. Keep two of Computing, Business and Photography- the 2 you like best.
Even if you are intelligent and hard working, which I'm sure you are, I really wouldn't recommend taking 5 subjects plus General Studies. 4 will be plenty. As others have mentioned, business and photography aren't particularly well respected, which doesn't matter too much, but I'd get rid of one of those and just do the one you prefer.
Reply 11
Computing's coursework is a bit of a sod (then again, I did mine in C++, and I had very little time to do it...), but the course material is dead easy; it took me about 1 hour to learn the entire material for each module. I'm only dropping it because I don't feel like teaching myself for another year.

Physics is really easy, as is Maths. You might want to consider doing another subject which is bit more highly regarded than the other ones you're doing (like Chemistry) :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks for all your help peeps :smile:

I know I'm going to keep Maths, Physics and Computing for definite. Maths and Physics are a walk in the park and Computing is even easier. I'm a coder.

Photography was chosen as a more 'enjoyable' subject because it's one of my most favourite hobbies and I've always been interested in it. Business was chosen because I did a taster day at the college and I quite liked it. But it's the second thoughts that annoy me :rolleyes:

Even though it would help me a lot University wise I have no intention of doing anything English-related. I can't stand it :biggrin: If I was to change either Photography or Business, I'd change Business for definite. The only things I'd consider swapping it with are..

Chemistry - Which I enjoy but I'm a bit iffy at. Probably my B at GCSE in 1 month's time.
Double Maths - I think I can handle it..

So as you can see, I'm really stuck for a decision. I'm 6/10 for Chemistry and 4/10 for Double Maths.
Reply 13
If you are doing Computing with AQA, you will need to do a practical task at AS set by the exam board. For A2, you need to use a programming language (any language you want - e.g. VB, C/C++, Java, Delphi, Access with VB, etc...) to create a program. Some people do it purely using Access with a bit of programming in it. http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5511-6511-W-SP-06.pdf
Reply 14
One other thing to note about AQA Computing is it's all really about learning set mark scheme answers. If you don't get the phrasing right, you won't get the marks.
Just make sure you're prepared to grind down and learn set answers (which it sounds like you are), rather than going by your own knowledge (since this may not give you the marks).
Reply 15
mockel
One other thing to note about AQA Computing is it's all really about learning set mark scheme answers. If you don't get the phrasing right, you won't get the marks.
Just make sure you're prepared to grind down and learn set answers (which it sounds like you are), rather than going by your own knowledge (since this may not give you the marks).

When I did AQA Computing, I didn't learn the answers from the mark scheme. I just learned the information from the textbook. In addition, I also done some past papers though. I hope they accept the textbook answers. :redface: I just hope I get a good grade...
Reply 16
Yeah, I would think text book is fine. I just found it too...big. I hate big books :biggrin:

I printed off past papers and mark schemes from the site (the best thing about AQA!), and just compared answers etc.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Maths and Physics...
At AS, they're both fine. If you're already confident with them, then you're alright. Physics gets noticeably harder at A2 (imo), but keep up your level of work, and you'll be ok (also try to maximise your chances of an overall A by getting as high a score as possible at AS).
Edexcel Maths gets harder with P3 (or C3/C4 for you), but I found it very doable. You're only gonna have go up to a second tier applied module (M2/S2). Having done both, I can say that M2's pretty good, and S2's really easy.
Reply 17
mockel
Yeah, I would think text book is fine. I just found it too...big. I hate big books :biggrin:

I printed off past papers and mark schemes from the site (the best thing about AQA!), and just compared answers etc.

Alright then. I do past papers and check them with the mark scheme. Although they don't have exact wording, but the meaning are the same with the key words. I just mostly use the textbook to study for my exams for Computing. The textbook is not that big. Each chapter for the modules are quite short.

Do you do AQA Computing? Anyway, good luck on results day, hope you get good results!
Reply 18
Yup, I did AQA Computing, but only up to AS.
Good luck with yours as well!
Reply 19
mockel
Yup, I did AQA Computing, but only up to AS.
Good luck with yours as well!

I did only up to AS too. I didn't like the practical excercise for AS. I hope it was a coursework using Access choosing a topic that we like to choose.

Latest