The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Accomodation after a year abroad?

After reading Sambos thread on returning to halls, I thought I'd finally make this thread, as myself and a few other friends of mine who are heading off on a year abroad next year were wondering the position we are in for accommodation on returning. One of my flatmates believes we are guaranteed university accommodation, like 1st years are, as we can't really hunt for private accomm when not in the country... Is this true? I know it's a long way off, but I'm getting slightly worried...

I would certainly hope that student accommodation would view applications favourably if they're aware you're not in the country. However, I'm not sure that they guarantee acommodation to people returning from a year abroad - I'm sure one of my friends was looking at other options for returning from her year abroad, and I think she might have tried to get into halls first.

I think it would be worth phoning student accommodation and seeing where the stand on the situation. You could also communicate with the various letting places in town, and see which of them are able to accomodate for you not necessarily being there to sign a contract. I would imagine it would be easier if you were moving in with people who have a house already, rather than being part of a group looking for a completely new house.

Sorry that I'm a bit vague on this... :o:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
ImperceptibleNinja
I would certainly hope that student accommodation would view applications favourably if they're aware you're not in the country. However, I'm not sure that they guarantee acommodation to people returning from a year abroad - I'm sure one of my friends was looking at other options for returning from her year abroad, and I think she might have tried to get into halls first.

I think it would be worth phoning student accommodation and seeing where the stand on the situation. You could also communicate with the various letting places in town, and see which of them are able to accomodate for you not necessarily being there to sign a contract. I would imagine it would be easier if you were moving in with people who have a house already, rather than being part of a group looking for a completely new house.

Sorry that I'm a bit vague on this... :o:

Thanks a lot :smile:

Yeh, I would preferably like to move in with friends on coming back, but they all have their accommodation sorted for next year, and it looks as if they may just stay on in the same houses the year after... which means there'd be no room for me... Hm :o: . But we'll see :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending