The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In America, you apply to individual unis. The nearest they've got to UCAS is collegeboard.com which tells you info about the different colleges etc. You can look at the Study in North America forum for more info or have a look at the Fulbright Commission's website. You'd need to sit SATs or the ACT too.

I don't know about any other countries...
I believe it depends largely on which country you want to go to.
Reply 3
Yoyoxx
I know this probably sounds really dumb, but if you want to apply to study abroad, such as America, then how do you go about it?

Do they not have their own UCAS system? Do you just email the universities? But how do you even know which ones to email and which universities to apply to in the first place?

Im so clueless :confused: Somebody help me please :frown:

Usually, you would apply to a US uni through your UK university b/c your home institution will likely have a direct or indirect relationship with a US uni. It is best to attend schools in the US that are accepted by your home uni to avoid any issues with grade conversions/acceptance or tuition.
Reply 4
AliciaJ703
Usually, you would apply to a US uni through your UK university b/c your home institution will likely have a direct or indirect relationship with a US uni. It is best to attend schools in the US that are accepted by your home uni to avoid any issues with grade conversions/acceptance or tuition.

Ohhh okay thanks :smile: but I attend a sixth form college, and I wanted to take a GAP year, and then after that, apply to a uni in America. How would I do that? Just arrange it with my college?
Reply 5
Yoyoxx
Ohhh okay thanks :smile: but I attend a sixth form college, and I wanted to take a GAP year, and then after that, apply to a uni in America. How would I do that? Just arrange it with my college?

Since you're not at uni yet, but still wish to study in the US check out some pre - college summer programs. Where in the US do you wish to study? Barnard College (NYC), Uni of Notre Dame (Indiana), and UCLA & Berkeley (CA) along with other institutions offer pre - college programs. For Barnard and the Uni of Notre Dame it does not include info. on international admissions so contact them through fax or email to see whether you would be eligible for admission. If you need any more info., just quote me for a reply.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 6
AliciaJ703
Since you're not at uni yet, but still wish to study in the US check out some pre - college summer programs. Where in the US do you wish to study? Barnard College (NYC), Uni of Notre Dame (Indiana), and UCLA & Berkeley (CA) along with other institutions offer pre - college programs. For Barnard and the Uni of Notre Dame it does not include info. on international admissions so contact them through fax or email to see whether you would be eligible for admission. If you need any more info., just quote me for a reply.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Aww thankyou :biggrin:
So what are pre-college summer programmes for? Because basically, I'm in 6th form (last year) and I've applied to do dentistry in the UK but if i don't get in, I want to go to the US to study dentistry. Are pre-college summer programmes necessary?
If i wanted to do that, would I have to find the universities that I want to apply to, and contact them separately? =S
Are there any good universities that you could recommend?
Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 7
Yoyoxx
Aww thankyou :biggrin:
So what are pre-college summer programmes for? Because basically, I'm in 6th form (last year) and I've applied to do dentistry in the UK but if i don't get in, I want to go to the US to study dentistry. Are pre-college summer programmes necessary?
If i wanted to do that, would I have to find the universities that I want to apply to, and contact them separately? =S
Are there any good universities that you could recommend?
Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate it :smile:

Pre - college summer programs are useful for earning college credit for courses you will probably take during your first year and gain a sort of college experience briefly during the summer. Does your school have a studying abroad office or counseling office where they assist with overseas academic programs? If not, check out these programs: http://accessandequity.org/id41.html and if it matches contact the schools.

List of Top Pre - Dentistry Schools in the US:
1. University of Maryland at Baltimore (UMB), Baltimore College of Dental Surgery
2. Harvard University, School of Dental Medicine
3. The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) Dental School
4. University of North Carolina, School of Dentistry
5. University of Michigan, School of Dentistry
6. University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine (UPenn)
7. University of Washington, School of Dentistry
8. Columbia University, College of Dental Medicine

Latest

Trending

Trending