Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Universities that accept BTEC's

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically guys in Year 12 and 13 I'm going to be doing a BTEC National Certificate in Sports Studies, NVQ Football Coaching and an A-Level in English Language so I'll be applying to university with points instead of your typical BBB or whatever. So basically I was just wondering what universities accept BTEC's or is there a list somewhere?

I plan on doing a Sports Studies degree then followed by a PGCE in Physical Education.

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look on UCAS website, on course search.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no list, you have to drag yourself through all of the uni websites. Then email all of the ones that don't specify a firm yes or no.

It's a bitch, I had to do it for my BND ICT and Maths A level.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    erm..don't even think about any top 10...possibly even top 20 unis...none of them take BTECs...as far as I know...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should imagine most, if not all uni's that offer sport studies as a degree would accept an ND diploma for entry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I'm at Loughborough and they accepted my BTEC as it was related to my course. I had to combine it with an A-Level though, but I only did the National Certificate so I needed that to get the points offer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think most do apart from the top 5-10 or so. But for your course if you did something related at uni, they are more than likely going to accept a BTEC. Just look at the uni websites you're interested in and check their entry requirements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes there is some universities that accept that qaulification. e.g LMU,MMU but it depends on entirely on which course you want to do. so i would suggest looking on the ucas site.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know two people at my school who applied for medicine with BTEC triple award in science+ one non-scientific A level. Both have had interviews and maybe offers. No one doing A levels in year 13 has a med interview. Go on UCAS and check what uni's technically accept them for your chosen course- if they do then if you get distinctions and have good enough GCSE's you will have a chance at some 15-30 ranked unis.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    can the person who just negged me at least have the balls to say who they are and why....I only said that top 10 unis dont accept BTECs as far as I am aware....rather immature and petty thing to neg someone over...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    can the person who just negged me at least have the balls to say who they are and why....I only said that top 10 unis dont accept BTECs as far as I am aware....rather immature and petty thing to neg someone over...
    Lol.

You were only stating a fact.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think nearly all Universities accept BTEC, except for top unis like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and King's College
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if you have BTEC or A Level, with the UCAS system they give you points for what grade you get, I did BTEC and finished with triple distinction which by UCAS terms gave me over 350 points.
    If you go on the ucas website when you click on a university it usually tells you how many points and grades e.g (ABB, AAA etc) you require to have a chance of getting into that specific university.

Best of luck.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    can the person who just negged me at least have the balls to say who they are and why.... I only said that top 10 unis dont accept BTECs as far as I am aware....rather immature and petty thing to neg someone over...
    You gave wrong information, presumably motivated by prejudice rather than just ignorance (given that it is a statement you could very easily have checked). Several "top 10 unis" accept BTECs for some courses. For example see UCL.

For a degree like Sports studies (that the OP wants to study), most of them will accept a BTEC. Except possibly University of Bath.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster accepts BTECs and some courses in Manchester Uni do as well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not the top of the top, but Lancaster made me an offer (granted, I have to pass with two distinctions and a merit).

My teacher wrote me an incredible reference though, which may have helped.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Uni of Hertfordshire does, I know because my friend's boyfriend goes there and he did the same course to you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    erm..don't even think about any top 10...possibly even top 20 unis...none of them take BTECs...as far as I know...
    Another person speaking rubbish on this site...

University of York - One of the best University in the country. They take BTEC students?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.