Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

25 Questions that Provoke Thought

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    25 Questions that Provoke Thought

If the question makes you think, it’s worth asking.

1.What is it like to wake up every morning and pretend that you aren’t dying?

2.Do you believe in the death penalty? What if someone murdered your mother in cold blood? What if someone murdered a stranger’s mother, but saved your life the month before?

3.If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend?

4.Would you rather be rich and paralyzed from the waist down or poor and able bodied?

5.What’s the most expensive gift you have ever received? Is it the best gift you have ever received?

6.When was the last time you lied? Is it possible to lie without saying anything at all?

7.Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child?

8.If I gave you £20 what percentage would you – really – save? If I gave you £200,000, what percentage would you save? Should there be a difference?

9.If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you?

10.If you found out you were going to die today, would you have any regrets? Would you be happy with the way you spent the last 24 hours of your life?

11.What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn?

12.Do the words ‘freedom’ and ‘liberty’ mean not being persecuted or discriminated against, or do they mean doing whatever you please?

13.Have you ever discriminated against someone? Imagine that a street gang notorious for wearing purple shirts has robbed and murdered several hundred people in your town. If a man wearing a purple shirt just rang your doorbell, would you answer it?

14.Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week?

15.Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough time? How many hours a week do you spend watching TV, or playing video games, or…?

16.Do you ever celebrate the green lights?

17.If you could be given another talent or ability, what would you want it to be? Have you ever – really – tried to perfect this ability in yourself?

18.No matter how bad things get, are you aware that someone always has it worse than you do?

19.When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?”

20.Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today?

21.What’s the difference between ‘living’ and ‘existing?

22.Are you willing to sacrifice the life of your child or lover to support a war?

23.Do you ask enough questions, or do you settle for what you know?

24.If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?

25.If your life was a novel, what would be the title and how would your story end?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont know whether its the drugs but what **** are you talking about?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    I dont know whether its the drugs but what **** are you talking about?
    Must be the drugs mate!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    not THAT thought provoking tbh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mind has imploded with all that thought now provoking my braincells.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Those questions are really taxing my fluffy head.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    number 3 is fantastic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Life changing questions :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...oops...
    so many words... dizzling
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh *****, that to-think list of yours gave me cerebral haemorrhage.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I celebrate the red lights because my mum sucks at driving.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    I celebrate the red lights because my mum sucks at driving.
    You need to learn to drive then! :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1.What is it like to wake up every morning and pretend that you aren’t dying? - I imagine it's like getting into bed, only opposite.

2.Do you believe in the death penalty? What if someone murdered your mother in cold blood? What if someone murdered a stranger’s mother, but saved your life the month before? - I believe in throwing all the murderers on a little island in the Arctic circle and letting them be.

3.If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend? - A week or two. His talking would hurt my head after a while.

4.Would you rather be rich and paralyzed from the waist down or poor and able bodied? - Poor and able bodied.

5.What’s the most expensive gift you have ever received? Is it the best gift you have ever received? - Laptop. Best gift to type on, not so good to eat or wear.

6.When was the last time you lied? Is it possible to lie without saying anything at all? A day or so ago. Without saying anything, no. Without saying something, yes.

7.Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child? Stealing is immoral if you do not need to steal.

8.If I gave you £20 what percentage would you – really – save? If I gave you £200,000, what percentage would you save? Should there be a difference? - I'd save it all. But when I go to a shop and buy a loaf of bread, it would take a bigger percentage of the £20 than the £200,000.

9.If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you? - No, I would probably spend my life trying to prevent that event from happening.

10.If you found out you were going to die today, would you have any regrets? Would you be happy with the way you spent the last 24 hours of your life? Regret not living longer. Yes, why be sad, I'd be dead.

11.What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn? - I don't have a single greatest moment, just a lot of small ones. It didn't make me either. I did not learn as that event at that time at that place would never happen again.

12.Do the words ‘freedom’ and ‘liberty’ mean not being persecuted or discriminated against, or do they mean doing whatever you please? - If you could do whatever you please, you wouldn't be persecuted..

13.Have you ever discriminated against someone? Imagine that a street gang notorious for wearing purple shirts has robbed and murdered several hundred people in your town. If a man wearing a purple shirt just rang your doorbell, would you answer it? - It is impossible to not discriminate. I'm playing football and pick the thin kid over the fat kid = discrimination. Pick the fat kid over the thin kid = discrimination.

14.Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week? - 40 years....

15.Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough time? How many hours a week do you spend watching TV, or playing video games, or…? - I have enough time to do what makes me happy. If I'm happy, I have time.

16.Do you ever celebrate the green lights? - I cross the road more tbh... Red ftw

17.If you could be given another talent or ability, what would you want it to be? Have you ever – really – tried to perfect this ability in yourself? - To fly. The plane was good.

18.No matter how bad things get, are you aware that someone always has it worse than you do? Yep Yep Yep

19.When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?” - No.

20.Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today? - This post.

21.What’s the difference between ‘living’ and ‘existing? - You exist to live, not live to exist.

22.Are you willing to sacrifice the life of your child or lover to support a war? - No

23.Do you ask enough questions, or do you settle for what you know? - I ask enough.

24.If you could do it all over again, would you change anything? - If I could do it all over again with my mind as it is now.....I'd imagine so.

25.If your life was a novel, what would be the title and how would your story end? Well Lah Dee Dah. Walking the sound of hallelujah (Jeff Buckley) and never stopping.

See....I wouldn't have been able to sleep if I didnt atleast attempt to answer them :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1.What is it like to wake up every morning and pretend that you aren’t dying?
    I don't pretend. That's the fun of life... that it's not forever.

2.Do you believe in the death penalty? What if someone murdered your mother in cold blood? What if someone murdered a stranger’s mother, but saved your life the month before?
    No, I don't believe in the death penalty. Obviously I would love for someone who murdered my mother to be put through pain but death isn't real pain or a real conclusion and there's always a chance that the person is innocent.

3.If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend?
    For a long time. I like brutal honesty. Makes me do things.

4.Would you rather be rich and paralyzed from the waist down or poor and able bodied?
    Poor and able bodied. There's always chance there and hope... The other would just be too horrible to accept.

5.What’s the most expensive gift you have ever received? Is it the best gift you have ever received?
    I'm not sure what it is but no it won't be the best gift. The best gift are the thoughtful, surprising ones. The ones that show someone's put time in, thought about me and what I would like .

6.When was the last time you lied? Is it possible to lie without saying anything at all?
    Earlier today when I said my phone wasn't working last week when someone sent me a text (it wasn't working properly last week but I did get that text, just couldn't be bothered texting back cos I was stressed :p: ). And yes, I believe it is possible to lie or at least mislead someone without saying anything at all which I suppose is lying to an extent.

7.Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child?
    I think you have to look at the motives behind an action often when considering it's morality.

8.If I gave you £20 what percentage would you – really – save? If I gave you £200,000, what percentage would you save? Should there be a difference?
    I wouldn't save any of the £20. I'd try and save most, if not all, of the £200,000. There probably shouldn't be a difference cos the pennies make the pounds but that's probably why I'm not rich. lol :p:

9.If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you?
    Selfishly, no. Although I'm sure it'd be nice saying bye to everyone you'd just worry until the day that you weren't doing enough with life.

10.If you found out you were going to die today, would you have any regrets? Would you be happy with the way you spent the last 24 hours of your life?
    I wouldn't be happy with the way I spent the last 24 hours (revising and finally exams would be over today ). Regrets that I hadn't told some people how much they mean to me maybe, but I think they know. Disappointed I'd inevitably ruin my best friend's birthday on Saturday. Regret I hadn't done enough and seen enough... but then I've had a happy life and I'd be dead so I suppose regrets are kinda impossible.

11.What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn?
    Having to switch colleges cos I hated the one I went to so much and just didn't fit in and it took too long to get there and blah blah...
    Looking back now, it made me weaker and fearful for a very long time. I believed it was 'my flaw' until I got to university and I think everyone around me believed it too. I'd happily never have had to have that experience.
    I learnt to appreciate contentment and happiness as one step slightly in the wrong direction and your world can crash in on you. Don't negativise the good things in life .

12.Do the words ‘freedom’ and ‘liberty’ mean not being persecuted or discriminated against, or do they mean doing whatever you please?
    They mean the ability to do what you like as long as it doesn't upset or offend others.

13.Have you ever discriminated against someone? Imagine that a street gang notorious for wearing purple shirts has robbed and murdered several hundred people in your town. If a man wearing a purple shirt just rang your doorbell, would you answer it?
    If it was a street gang from my area, no... you'd be stupid to... purple shirts aren't that common. Depends as well how they had committed other murders - did they ring doorbells?
    Otherwise, yes... I would answer the door.

14.Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week?
    Depends how poor and how much hatred and which makes you unhappier. All about the person...

15.Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough time? How many hours a week do you spend watching TV, or playing video games, or…?
    I often feel like I don't have enough time. Recently I spend 0 hours a week watching tv but a fair few hours on the internet. People need some kind of 'free time' and freedom or else they'd go insane.

16.Do you ever celebrate the green lights?
    What green lights?

17.If you could be given another talent or ability, what would you want it to be? Have you ever – really – tried to perfect this ability in yourself?
    Singing maybe? I'd love to be an amazing singer and be able to sing and capture people's hearts. I once thought I could sing ok but never seriously tried to perfect it. I know I don't have the raw talent realistically.

18.No matter how bad things get, are you aware that someone always has it worse than you do?
    To an extent, yes. That's what helps you survive... otherwise you'd just want to give in. Everyone has their trials in life. Just gotta try and not take it too seriously or they consume you.

19.When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?”
    Depends. Sometimes. But not necessarily in a: 'where's my reward way?' just in a 'I hope they'd do the same in return'.

20.Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today?
    End of exams. Passing exam? Sleep

21.What’s the difference between ‘living’ and ‘existing?
    Me and my friend had that discussion yesterday. 'living' is, I suppose, finding joy in life and enjoying life in general... living life like it's a ticking bomb. 'existing' is just being here cos you have to.

22.Are you willing to sacrifice the life of your child or lover to support a war?
    Difficult. If that's what they want to do, you have to respect them I suppose. It's an honourable choice.

23.Do you ask enough questions, or do you settle for what you know?
    I tend to settle for what I know. I like knowledge but sometimes it's too overwhelming. There's so much I'll never know...

24.If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?
    Work harder maybe... I mean, we alll have our ideals but would I actually change what I've done in life??? Realistically, I'm me, so probably not... no matter how much I regret.

25.If your life was a novel, what would be the title and how would your story end?
    'Just Someone'... I'm not special. I won't be a genius. I won't do anything life changing. But I'll enjoy life. Hopefully that'll be how it ends... on my death bed saying that I enjoyed life. Family and friends surrounding me in my final moments
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    These questions should be asked to old people, not students.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather eat poo-flavoured-chocolate, or chocolate-flavoured-poo?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    Would you rather eat poo-flavoured-chocolate, or chocolate-flavoured-poo?
    Chocolate-flavoured-poo. I'd be more worried about what's in it than what it tastes like.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm bored. I'll be brief.

1.What is it like to wake up every morning and pretend that you aren’t dying? - well, if that were me, I wouldn't do anything at all. You'd just put everything off, I reckon.

2.Do you believe in the death penalty? What if someone murdered your mother in cold blood? What if someone murdered a stranger’s mother, but saved your life the month before? - Yes I believe in the death penalty, mostly.

3.If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend? Oh never. I wouldn't ever choose to be friends with someone like me

4.Would you rather be rich and paralyzed from the waist down or poor and able bodied? Poor and able bodied

5.What’s the most expensive gift you have ever received? Is it the best gift you have ever received? - prooobably my old laptop.

6.When was the last time you lied? Is it possible to lie without saying anything at all? probably lied today. And you could lie through many means - gesture, sign language, doing something unexpected...?

7.Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child? If it was a case of necessity, then I wouldn't say stealing is immoral. It's like Robin Hood or Aladdin. Lol.

8.If I gave you £20 what percentage would you – really – save? If I gave you £200,000, what percentage would you save? Should there be a difference? - There is no case of 'should there be a difference' - why should there be? I'd probably spend the £20 in one go, but save like...half of the 200k. Idk. I want a plane.

9.If someone could tell you the exact day and time that you are going to die, would you want them to tell you? - No. I'd be ******** bricks the whole week before.

10.If you found out you were going to die today, would you have any regrets? Would you be happy with the way you spent the last 24 hours of your life? I'd definitely regret not doing a few things I haven't done.

11.What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn? - telling someone really close to me something big and them making it seem like they'd not heard in front of other people, and made fun of the situ in front of them and me, like it wouldn't affect me, while I was and am still going through it. I think it's probably made me weaker, and shown me that some people are not what they say on the surface, the scary thing being that they were one of my best friends and have ruined that by making fun of that situation, personal things to me, and groping me was the worst, given the circumstances.

12.Do the words ‘freedom’ and ‘liberty’ mean not being persecuted or discriminated against, or do they mean doing whatever you please? - Not universal freedom and liberty, no - one person's liberty is bound to hurt or repress another's

13.Have you ever discriminated against someone? Imagine that a street gang notorious for wearing purple shirts has robbed and murdered several hundred people in your town. If a man wearing a purple shirt just rang your doorbell, would you answer it? - I probably have, I'm not gonna lie. And although it's never happened to me, I think something like that would bring the past to the surface, and I'd probably be scared by answering the door if I'm honest, yes.

14.Is it crazier to choose to be poor or to spend 40 years of your life hating 40 hours a week? - 40 years - but thats' life isn't it? You make money till you die.

15.Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough time? How many hours a week do you spend watching TV, or playing video games, or…? - I've far too much time, I just misuse it

16.Do you ever celebrate the green lights? - what?

17.If you could be given another talent or ability, what would you want it to be? Have you ever – really – tried to perfect this ability in yourself? - To sing really really well, especially alongside instruments.

18.No matter how bad things get, are you aware that someone always has it worse than you do? Of course. But I can only focus on the progress of me at the moment, as selfish as it is, simply because, at some point, it's going to hit me knowing what I need.

19.When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?” - hm...depends on my mood. Tbh. I'm a cretin, I know...

20.Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today? - I'm not in a happy state at the moment.

21.What’s the difference between ‘living’ and ‘existing? - You do not have to live to exist - e.g. a train exists, but it is not a living thing. To go down the boring route

22.Are you willing to sacrifice the life of your child or lover to support a war? - no, never.

23.Do you ask enough questions, or do you settle for what you know? - I should ask more. My mind is otherwise a minefield and I repress that..is that bad??

24.If you could do it all over again, would you change anything? yes, just about the last 9/10 years of my life.

25.If your life was a novel, what would be the title and how would your story end? I've never thought about this... probably my blog name. And ending with...stepping outside and opening my bare hand out into the sunlight
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People who have actually answered question by question must be bored as hell. Personally, I read the first few questions, and my initial thought was, why do I even need to think about this? Waste of 30 seconds of my life...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh, I clicked on this thread hoping to read thought provoking questions

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 29, 2010
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.