The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

missbrowneyes
Just to add, you dont definitely need above 90% in all AS's to get an offer, I think you can be in the range 85-100 and still have a chance.
Only saying that coz the 90% thing scared me loads all through the application business as I only just hit ninety in two out of four subjects.

I'd agree that you don't need 90% to have a chance, but it's worth trying to get 90%+ (especially as it relies almost solely on revision) for the OP as his GCSEs will be below average.
Reply 21
AnonymousPenguin
Well if you use Oxford weighting ((6.7/9)*0.4+(4.6/9)*0.4+(6/15)*0.2=0.582) it comes out as 58.2%. The statistics state the average was 50.6% before short-listing (62% after). It is above average and with better GCSEs he would get an interview just fine.

Thanks for clearing that up whilst I was away :p:

Phalanges
No you weren't.

That is what the admissions officer said to me - if my GCSE's were better I wouldve been in the top 425 or so to be called for an interview. It wasnt that they didnt like my PS/Predicted grades/BMAT/Reference etc. - They all met the minimum criteria but my GCSE's didnt and I didnt have a high enough BMAT to balance for my low GCSE's

krisblade
Are you sure?! You have to get a higher score than that to get an itnerview at UCL let alone oxbridge, and 6.0 is way below average, its out of 15. Your first score is above but your other two are below average I'd say.

Again, all I am telling you is the feedback they gave me.... - I think AnonymousPenguin answered your question anywho :smile: - Also, for an interview at UCL you dont HAVE to have 5,5,9. A 5,5,9 in the BMAT just gaurantees you an interview.
Reply 22
Thanks alot guys, Im starting to think towards Cambridge. Thing is my GCSEs arnt that bad, but compared to others they are average. However, by Sixth Form grades are much stronger, therefore favouring a Cambridge application.

That in mind, I still have to do more research into both.

Thanks alot.
Reply 23
Tally_16
Thanks alot guys, Im starting to think towards Cambridge. Thing is my GCSEs arnt that bad, but compared to others they are average. However, by Sixth Form grades are much stronger, therefore favouring a Cambridge application.

Thanks alot.

if your sixth form grade performance are strong; then that's something you should be worried about!:smile:

Only apply to cambridge if you've attended verrrrry poor college with the highest student getting only ABB in A level results
Reply 24
Tally_16

Thanks alot.

On the UCAS form you are able to enter all your module grades achieved to date, so you can show these to Oxford.
Reply 25
geedan
if your sixth form grade performance are strong; then that's something you should be worried about!:smile:

Only apply to cambridge if you've attended verrrrry poor college with the highest student getting only ABB in A level results

My secondary school wasnt that good compared to private ones, such that only 60% gained 5 A*-C grades. In my sixth form I am estimating, apart from me there may be 8 other students with AAA.
(on itouch so if English isn't great it's cos of this not that I'm a Chav)

this is worrying. I hope to apply to Oxford but on the strenght of a levels not gcses. This is because I think my gcses will be mainly a's. How many a stars do you need for Oxford to look at you?
Reply 27
RogueTrombonist
(on itouch so if English isn't great it's cos of this not that I'm a Chav)

this is worrying. I hope to apply to Oxford but on the strenght of a levels not gcses. This is because I think my gcses will be mainly a's. How many a stars do you need for Oxford to look at you?

I think its 70%+, mine arnt good enough, like you my way of entry is basically the strenght of my A Levels, and Oxford is looking like a risky option for me.

Cambridge is more into A Levels, so I will look at both, but at this current time I think Cambridge is the most likely for me.
Liverpool fan Tally, that's what I like to see :wink:

Yeah, but Cambridge want Maths don't they? And there is no way I can take that to A2, not even to AS. So unless I pull some amazing GCSE's out the bag, a top uni won't want me (Oxford cos of average GCSE's, Cambridge cos of no maths)

Just gonna knuckle down and try and get 8/9 A*s GCSE
The strength of your A Levels? They don't count for ****.
Reply 30
RogueTrombonist
Liverpool fan Tally, that's what I like to see :wink:

Yeah, but Cambridge want Maths don't they? And there is no way I can take that to A2, not even to AS. So unless I pull some amazing GCSE's out the bag, a top uni won't want me (Oxford cos of average GCSE's, Cambridge cos of no maths)

Just gonna knuckle down and try and get 8/9 A*s GCSE

Go and read the entry requirements. Unless you want to apply to Magdalene (I think) you don't need Maths.
Phalanges
The strength of your A Levels? They don't count for ****.

Really? Wonder why there are minimum a level grades for uni if a levels don't count for ****. If they really don't matter like you claim guess I can just walk into Oxford with a few Ds at A2, a good personal statement and a weeks work experience at a nursing home.
RogueTrombonist
Really? Wonder why there are minimum a level grades for uni if a levels don't count for ****. If they really don't matter like you claim guess I can just walk into Oxford with a few Ds at A2, a good personal statement and a weeks work experience at a nursing home.

Because they don't differentiate between anybody. Probably around 80% of people who have applied will have as good as, if not better, than what you have.

Yes, there are minimum requirements, but they're just that; a minimum. You're not going to get anywhere just based on them.

As for your last sentence, I don't know what to make of it. Either you're a terrible comedian, you completely failed to see my point, or you're just a semi-sentient being.
Phalanges
Because they don't differentiate between anybody. Probably around 80% of people who have applied will have as good as, if not better, than what you have.

Yes, there are minimum requirements, but they're just that; a minimum. You're not going to get anywhere just based on them.

As for your last sentence, I don't know what to make of it. Either you're a terrible comedian, you completely failed to see my point, or you're just a semi-sentient being.

Look, they do count for ****. You can't claim they don't. If you don't get the right grades, you don't get where you want to be.

Yes, personal statements, work experience, interviews differentiate between candidates but these don't matter unless the candidates get the a-levels.

You say I completely failed to see your point, well I didn't. Your point was a levels don't matter. The fact of the matter is, they do.
Reply 34
I think you stand more chance at Cambridge because your BMAT score would have to be crazy high to get in with a comparatively low A* percentage. Cambridge like high UMS in modules though, and from the sound of it that's what you're likely to get.
Becky21
I think you stand more chance at Cambridge because your BMAT score would have to be crazy high to get in with a comparatively low A* percentage. Cambridge like high UMS in modules though, and from the sound of it that's what you're likely to get.

Some Cambridge colleges wait for the bmat before confirming interviews..I know at least three of my friends got emails saying they would have an interview on so and so date if they got good enough bmat scores( they all applied to different cambridge colleges).
Reply 36
missbrowneyes
Some Cambridge colleges wait for the bmat before confirming interviews..I know at least three of my friends got emails saying they would have an interview on so and so date if they got good enough bmat scores( they all applied to different cambridge colleges).

oops I've just reread my post and it doesn't sound like what I meant it to. I meant that with a low percentage of A* it will be difficult to get into Oxford without a high BMAT, not Cambridge, sorry :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending