The Student Room Group

I'm completely alone.

Im 3 weeks into my second term at uni and I have no friends. The group I hung around with in first term has ditched me and I just feel alone. I'm a friendly person and usually don't have trouble making friends but i'v got no one here. I'm getting a bit depressed about it and am thinking of moving halls. Am I just being too sensitive, should I just try an focus on work? I have no one to go out with, as i said the group of people who I thought were my friends have rejected me, they don't ask me to come out with them anymore, no one does. I feel like i'm some kind of freak no one ever knocks at my door and my phone doesn't ring. What should I do, I'm not in a good place.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading
Is there really any point going anon when you posted the exact same thing in GUD?
Reply 2
Sabertooth
Is there really any point going anon when you posted the exact same thing in GUD?

That thread is gone now and it only had like 2 views.
Reply 3
Anonymous
Im 3 weeks into my second term at uni and I have no friends. The group I hung around with in first term has ditched me and I just feel alone. I'm a friendly person and usually don't have trouble making friends but i'v got no one here. I'm getting a bit depressed about it and am thinking of moving halls. Am I just being too sensitive, should I just try an focus on work? I have no one to go out with, as i said the group of people who I thought were my friends have rejected me, they don't ask me to come out with them anymore, no one does. I feel like i'm some kind of freak no one ever knocks at my door and my phone doesn't ring. What should I do, I'm not in a good place.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading

Don't worry these things just happen, even when you're friendly. Those 'friends' are pissing me off.

If I were you I would try to switch halls at least, but if that isn't possible, or not for a while try and join a club/society or something to meet some people? But yeah, focus on your work too, that's there if all else fails.

Good luck :smile:
Anonymous
That thread is gone now and it only had like 2 views.

Fair nuff.

Tbh I don't really have [m]any friends at uni but you know you're there for a degree etc etc etc so don't feel too bad. Sure it's lonely but at least this way you're not going to destroy your liver (unless you turn to drinking alone....) and you should get your work done on time.

As for moving halls, perhaps it's an idea, though I imagine the people in the halls you move to would have already bonded etc and you might find it difficult to get in with that group.
Reply 5
Anonymous

Any advice?

Thanks for reading

Join some society or sports club?
Reply 6
Striking up random conversations always works a treat for me when I want to meet new people :smile:.
It seems like you have just been unlucky and had a falling out but that doesn't mean that this situation won't end. You have made friends before and you can do it again.
Moving halls might help but it might be better to just work on getting to know acquaintances. You don't have to be massive mates with the people who live directly around you, it just doesn't work like that sometimes. Your next best mate could be just around the corner! (or so I am continually told :yep: )
Reply 7
Definitely joining a society is the way to go--but you have to stick with it to gain the full social benefits. Also, chaning halls might well help--in my first year I was moved to new halls (because they were demolishing the old ones) and my social life rocketed.
Sounds like my first year.. and second year. :shifty:
:hugs:

I know the feeling OP! I'm in exactly the same boat as you. If you were at my uni I'd be your pal. :sad:

Chip up- get out there and join societies?
Anonymous
:hugs:

Chip up- get out there and join societies?

This. Joining societies may help.
Reply 11
There must be some sort of reason why they 'ditched you' so to speak? I mean if you haven't done anything wrong or had a falling out with anyone in the group then the most likely cause is that you just haven't made an effort to speak to them/meet up at all (where possible obv) over the Christmas holidays.

What about the course you are on? It's not too hard to make friends there... as someone else said just strike up conversations about the work and let it go from there.

Also definately join a society if you haven't. I'm in 5 different ones (yeh I know, kinda mental haha but wth I love too much stuff) - met loads of new people this way and so always got someone I can hang out with when my main group of friends go home (cause unfortunately they all live back at home!)
Reply 13
Anonymous

Any advice?

Thanks for reading

**** me, i feel exactly like this, honestly. this is surprising

they're even getting houses together, and i feel so left out

so i will be watchingthis thread like a hawk :eyeball:

in the meantime, :console:
im in the same position, but im also very shy, something will be done about it soon though, i can't cope like this for much longer, i will go crazy soon, like seriously crazy. I was going to join a society, but ive found out someone goes there who i can't be around (long story) so that puts that out of it..... :frown:
i feel your pain OP it's a terrible thing, ive been like this for 4 months, i was expecting to make so many friends before i came uni and have the time of my life, little did i know i'd be on anti depressants & counselling 3 months in. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending