The Student Room Group

Really upset, think I have been chucked out of uni,

Not only am I upset but I am angry, worried about money and ready to scream at lecturers on Monday.

I can see why but please dont anyone start here as my explaination may not be the best.

I transferred in from another course around 2nd week of november, I turned up for all my classes and handed all my work in but missed the last 2 weeks of uni due to illness.

I also missed 1st week of class after Christmas as I have had a chest infection that keeps coming back.

Anyway I only got 1 letter telling me of missed classes and thats it and that was 2 weeks ago, and a form and letter today telling me I have missed so many classes and constantly handed in work late that I they assume I dont want to continue.

Turns out they marked my essays that have automatic extensions as late so gave them 0 marks(thanks for telling me!) when I should get extra time for my disabilities.

I wondered why when I saw this guy from uni yesterday he said what am I doing as he was told I was kicked out and I said no!

Really upset what shall I do as I feel like going in Monday and screaming at the course leader since I am still expected to pay course fees and had zero help for my disabilities for one(said they were giving me indivudual dyslexia and dyspraxia suppor but havent due to not getting DSA money yet) supposed to get loads of extra help.

They even havent fixed my Blackboard which meant I missed a few extra seminars(unofficial) since how was I to know!

I will be upset all weekend and as I say feel like going in on Monday and refusing to be kicked out and shouting since I feel like they have messed me around.

Scroll to see replies

Is there nobody on campus on Saturday you can go talk to? There is at my uni...

Anyway, don't go in all screamy. Try and approach them calmly and say there are things you need to discuss. then explain the situation and what you think has gone wrong, it could just be a case of miscommunication between lecturers and whoever else.
Reply 2
displayerror
I feel like they have messed me around.

I f anything, you are messing up their administration because you couldn't be bothered to turn up for lectures for three weeks.
Reply 3
JellyBean123
Is there nobody on campus on Saturday you can go talk to? There is at my uni...

Anyway, don't go in all screamy. Try and approach them calmly and say there are things you need to discuss. then explain the situation and what you think has gone wrong, it could just be a case of miscommunication between lecturers and whoever else.

Not that I know of, really upset though as my course leader is very annoying, I remember on the first 2 weeks I arrived for most lectures about 5-15 minutes late (mainly as my timekeeping is bad due to having aspergers) and he wouldnt accept that though I was a hard worker that being late was anything but being lazy and lectured me on how he turns up for work on time every day(despite having a car!) and me having to do a 45 minute walk first thing in the morning in freezing rain.

From their port of view I understand it just looks like I have missed loads of classes but I dont think classes alone mean I am lazy, plus the fact I feel insulted because I am paying over £3000 a year to be there and they seem to be acting as if they can do what they want.
Reply 4
Undiscovery
I f anything, you are messing up their administration because you couldn't be bothered to turn up for lectures for three weeks.

No, I was just throwing up from having a chest infection means I think its a bit hard to turn up for class when I cant eat or drink and can barely move doesnt it!
Reply 5
displayerror
No, I was just throwing up from having a chest infection means I think its a bit hard to turn up for class when I cant eat or drink and can barely move doesnt it!

Then why are they chasing you down with letters. A simple email/phone call to the faculty informing them of your 'terrible' illness would have covered those 'lost' weeks of your life.

Unless you just slept in for three weeks and bummed around...?
displayerror
Not that I know of, really upset though as my course leader is very annoying, I remember on the first 2 weeks I arrived for most lectures about 5-15 minutes late (mainly as my timekeeping is bad due to having aspergers) and he wouldnt accept that though I was a hard worker that being late was anything but being lazy and lectured me on how he turns up for work on time every day(despite having a car!) and me having to do a 45 minute walk first thing in the morning in freezing rain.

From their port of view I understand it just looks like I have missed loads of classes but I dont think classes alone mean I am lazy, plus the fact I feel insulted because I am paying over £3000 a year to be there and they seem to be acting as if they can do what they want.

Edit: Why is it when someone has a problem they are a troll? cant they just assume someone is upset

my experience of people with aspergers is that they are so anxious and terrified of being late that they turn up insanely early.
Reply 7
Which uni do you go to?

Also you should have completed an extenuating circumstances for (if they have them) for your assignments/examinations due to your illness during these periods.
Reply 8
Undiscovery
Then why are they chasing you down with letters. A simple email/phone call to the faculty informing them of your 'terrible' illness would have covered those 'lost' weeks of your life.

Unless you just slept in for three weeks and bummed around...?

I'm not stupid so of course I rang them up about the illness but my local campus is a bit non beliving of any illness, I was doing a college course here 6 years ago had a really bad stomach bug then and was in bed for a week and handed in a doctors note and was called into lecturers office and accused of being seen working in local supermarket one time and another in the cinema.

It seems theres no point discussing it with you though as it looks like you have made your mind up that I am lying.
displayerror

Edit: Why is it when someone has a problem they are a troll? cant they just assume someone is upset

I know how you feel, I live half an hour walk from uni in a shared house and it can be a real pain in bad weather!

It does sound as if there could have been some miscommunication though - if your lecturer was aware of your aspergers he would probably be more understanding so maybe he isnt aware of it? I know you dont get along, but it would be best to go and see him first thing on monday as it is him that is in charge of your place on the course. Even if he isn't free first thing, ask him when he is and just wait to see him, to show that you are serious about this.

Perhaps think over the weekend about what it is you think you need to tell him (about your illness etc), and any questions you want to ask, just so you have it all in your head for monday and will get a thorough explanation. If you feel you have been unfairly chucked out then you have to be able to communicate that to him clearly and calmly.

P.s. I have no idea why people cry troll on some things. They have nothing better to say?
Reply 10
to universities people aren't people they are just numbers.
Reply 11
morecambebay
my experience of people with aspergers is that they are so anxious and terrified of being late that they turn up insanely early.

With me its strange, I normally turn up late as I get ready really early then start freaking out as I have a problem with time depth as I could have 45 minutes before I have to leave and it feels like plenty of time so my brain says relax, then because my brain is starting to relax it gets a bit messed up so starts not rushing.
displayerror
I'm not stupid so of course I rang them up about the illness but my local campus is a bit non beliving of any illness, I was doing a college course here 6 years ago had a really bad stomach bug then and was in bed for a week and handed in a doctors note and was called into lecturers office and accused of being seen working in local supermarket one time and another in the cinema.

It seems theres no point discussing it with you though as it looks like you have made your mind up that I am lying.

Growing up is dealing with reality and mistakes we make; not running a mile and avoiding difficult situations with incessant lies and alibis.
Reply 13
JellyBean123
I know how you feel, I live half an hour walk from uni in a shared house and it can be a real pain in bad weather!

It does sound as if there could have been some miscommunication though - if your lecturer was aware of your aspergers he would probably be more understanding so maybe he isnt aware of it? I know you dont get along, but it would be best to go and see him first thing on monday as it is him that is in charge of your place on the course. Even if he isn't free first thing, ask him when he is and just wait to see him, to show that you are serious about this.

Perhaps think over the weekend about what it is you think you need to tell him (about your illness etc), and any questions you want to ask, just so you have it all in your head for monday and will get a thorough explanation. If you feel you have been unfairly chucked out then you have to be able to communicate that to him clearly and calmly.

P.s. I have no idea why people cry troll on some things. They have nothing better to say?

Thanks, I can understand why they sent letters though as to the regular person I have missed about 1/3 of my classes probably a bit more and handed in work late(which should of been authorised since I get different hand in covers)

I did tell the course leader about the aspergers and other stuff like dyspraxia when I started course and he was unsympathetic and just said "if its discovered you need help you will get it" and how he doesnt give people with disabilities any more chances than people without to be fair.
Reply 14
Undiscovery
Growing up is dealing with reality and mistakes we make; not running a mile and avoiding difficult situations with incessant lies and alibis.

What are you saying there, I am confused and I am quite grown up since I am 26 years old.

This is what I was thinking when I wrote the first post, people are going to take a quick look at what I said and make judgements on it from what they think I said and what I havent said, as obviously I am not in the perfect frame of mind at the moment!
Reply 15
displayerror
I did tell the course leader about the aspergers and other stuff like dyspraxia when I started course and he was unsympathetic and just said "if its discovered you need help you will get it" and how he doesnt give people with disabilities any more chances than people without to be fair.

To be honest, that's fair enough. People with disabilities shouldn't be given an advantage over those without, they should be given help when they need it so they can have the same chance of achieving their best potential as everyone else. And it sounds like that's what he explained to you anyway.

I'm sure this will be easily sorted if you go and explain the situation. Next time you're ill for any more than a couple of days, get a doctor's note.
Reply 16
dude go to your tutor or whatever immediately. seriously do it.
displayerror
What are you saying there, I am confused and I am quite grown up since I am 26 years old.

This is what I was thinking when I wrote the first post, people are going to take a quick look at what I said and make judgements on it from what they think I said and what I havent said, as obviously I am not in the perfect frame of mind at the moment!

This will sound incredibly blunt, but you should probably take control over your various diabilities before enrolling on a university course. Once you have them in check, then you won't risk being thrown off a course.
Reply 18
Undiscovery
This will sound incredibly blunt, but you should probably take control over your various diabilities before enrolling on a university course. Once you have them in check, then you won't risk being thrown off a course.

I have done other courses before though with no problems, the problems arent all the time but they are there.

The only difference I want from other people at uni is to understand that sometimes I may be a few minutes late and its not down to me being lazy its down to my disability, I dont want people to assume I am late as I am lazy or not making an effort as it takes more effort than others to do simple things.
Reply 19
if it was so bad to do things by the book there wouldn't be a book

Latest