The Student Room Group

Maths in A-level Economics

Hi, I'm thinking of doing A-level Economics in September, I find the subject generally interesting and I'm also very interested in current affairs (which I've been told is an asset on the course) however I'm not too keen on maths. I should get a B for GCSE but I don't intend to take it for A-level. How much maths (if any) is there involved in the economics course? I asked the economics teacher at my college and she said there's no complex maths with percentages being the most difficult thing. But then, she would say that wouldn't she! Shed any light on this anyone?
Reply 1
There is none, well apart from the odd percentage change and maybe an elasticity question, but a monkey could do those in its sleep :smile: Go for it. Economics A level is easy and interesting :smile:
Reply 2
Seriously, the most complicated maths you'll get is a formula with 3 numbers in it eg.

Price elasticity of demand = % change in demand / % change in price.

Not exactly calculus. Don't worry about it.
Reply 3
I got a B at GCSE Maths and still found the maths in AS Economics easy, go for it.
Reply 4
I did AS Econ under the impression that 90% of it would be calculations, there is next to none(what there is is arithmetic - percentage changes) :mad: :redface: Hated Units 1 and 2, 3 was much better. What I found frustrating was that Edexcel do it at such a simplistic level. There are just 2 or 3 standard arguments you need to learn for each topic (price up, demand down HURRAY :rolleyes: ). It's good for an easy A though, assuming you don't get a mind jam in the exam(happened to me - couldn't get into the writing flow, ended up writing individual sentences with little structure :mad: ) But I must admit, Econ lessons served as the perfect time to sleep between lessons, since I did five subjects and didn't have any frees. :biggrin:
Reply 5
mkxz
I did AS Econ under the impression that 90% of it would be calculations, there is next to none(what there is is arithmetic - percentage changes) :mad: :redface: Hated Units 1 and 2, 3 was much better. What I found frustrating was that Edexcel do it at such a simplistic level. There are just 2 or 3 standard arguments you need to learn for each topic (price up, demand down HURRAY :rolleyes: ). It's good for an easy A though, assuming you don't get a mind jam in the exam(happened to me - couldn't get into the writing flow, ended up writing individual sentences with little structure :mad: ) But I must admit, Econ lessons served as the perfect time to sleep between lessons, since I did five subjects and didn't have any frees. :biggrin:

lol YOU have soo reassured me about Economics, i was dreading doing it, as the teacher is meant to be the most boring teach in the school, lol thank you!!
Reply 6
Funny, my economics teacher said that those who failed with flying colour in maths could still do economics because a very small part is maths, whereas is used to be made up mostly of maths, nowadays it isnt. It's like business studies, the only maths that was needed was ROCE, acid test, current ratio, net profit margin, gross profit margin etc etc, the rest was just marketing etc.
Reply 7
The most maths based thing we did was comparitave advantage; but all that involved was division and multiplication. Its not as maths based as everyone thinks :smile:
Reply 8
It's very spatial with the graphs though. You have to be able to interpret data expressed visually.
Zoecb
Seriously, the most complicated maths you'll get is a formula with 3 numbers in it eg.

Price elasticity of demand = % change in demand / % change in price.

Not exactly calculus. Don't worry about it.

oh. I thought elasticity is speed of separation / speed of approach...
Reply 10
not really any maths in a level economics dont worry
Reply 11
all i ever did was elasticity- i could do it and i got a B at GCSE, go 4 it!
tch, maths in economics A - level?! I never used any in my Economics A-level and I have got an A overall (after 4 exams). The only 'maths' in it is the application of elasticities. But hell, there was no direct question in my exams asking me to work out any elasticity, so you don't even need to use the formulae normally. In my experience, they merely give you numbers and maybe you will have to intepret it which you will have learnt prior to exam.

Economics A level is the easiest of my A levels by a country mile so no reason not to do it (Maths History and Physics are the others)
Reply 13
oh. I thought elasticity is speed of separation / speed of approach...

coefficienct of restitution = speed of seperation/speed of approach
ssmoose
coefficienct of restitution = speed of seperation/speed of approach

coefficient of restitution is a measure of elasticity. :rolleyes: :p:

Latest