The Student Room Group

Psychology PY4 (WJEC)

Hello Psychologists :sexface:

Welcome to the PY4 thread!
Where we can discuss anything related to this unit and hopefully help each other with guidance/notes/good website etc. :smartass:

Key documents:
Guidance (.gif)
Specification (pdf)
Teachers Booklet (word doc)
Specimen Paper (pdf, page 18 for PY4)

~~~~~~~~~

What each student here is doing (quote each other for help)
PLEASE TELL US WHAT YOU ARE STUDYING :smile:

jabed786
Relationships, Forensic Psychology, Memory, Controversies

melon
Abnormal Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Memory, Controversies

xstarxsparklex

Tinkerbelle <3
Relationships, Abnormal Psychology, Levels of Consciousness, Controversies

wellpastmybedtime
Forensic Psychology, Memory, Levels of Consciousness, Controversies

ilikecookies

bethan82
Abnormal Psychology, Relationships, Forensic Psychology, Controversies.

Scroll to see replies

*watch this thread*
Reply 2
ilikecookies
*watch this thread*

hello :hello:
have you found out what topics/applications you are doing?
or are you first going over controversies?
or have you not started the unit yet?
jabed786
hello :hello:
have you found out what topics/applications you are doing?
or are you first going over controversies?
or have you not started the unit yet?

we havent started yet!
but my teacher said that we are mainly going to look at 4 topics:-
forensic,memory,abnormal and something else i cant remember!
he said that PY4 is going to be hard core :s-smilie:
what about you :smile:
Reply 4
ilikecookies
we havent started yet!
but my teacher said that we are mainly going to look at 4 topics:-
forensic,memory,abnormal and something else i cant remember!
he said that PY4 is going to be hard core :s-smilie:
what about you :smile:

4? you only need to do three - unless he regarded the 'controversies' section as a topic. It's harder than PY3 but as long as you can find plenty of studies and be good at keeping to a succinct format in the essays I think it's ok. Lots of evaluation involved in the topics/applications.

We've done py4 lessons once a week so have slowly finished two out of the 21 essays. But now we are going to be totally focused on it.
Reply 5
hello:smile: we already started stuff about memory and schizophrenia before xmas, doesn't look too bad just alot of stuff to remember and lots of rhetorical questions lol :smile:
jabed786
4? you only need to do three - unless he regarded the 'controversies' section as a topic. It's harder than PY3 but as long as you can find plenty of studies and be good at keeping to a succinct format in the essays I think it's ok. Lots of evaluation involved in the topics/applications.

We've done py4 lessons once a week so have slowly finished two out of the 21 essays. But now we are going to be totally focused on it.

21 essays???! :eek3: suppose it isnt that bad compare to the essays we had to learn in PY2 :p: do you know what the exam layout is going to be like??like how essays and stuff???
Reply 7
ilikecookies
21 essays???! :eek3: suppose it isnt that bad compare to the essays we had to learn in PY2 :p: do you know what the exam layout is going to be like??like how essays and stuff???

I've edited my first post in this thread, if you have a look at the specimen paper I've linked to, and flick over to page 18 you can see how the exam layout is like. Basically there are a couple of topics and applications your teacher can choose from, and each of these topic (Section B) /applications (Section C) have 5 essays within them. The Controversies (section A) have 6 essays.
And in the exam you have to do a total of four essays, one from each section and an extra from either B or C.

The essays themselves are about 2 and a half sides.
Reply 8
cjward1
hello:smile: we already started stuff about memory and schizophrenia before xmas, doesn't look too bad just alot of stuff to remember and lots of rhetorical questions lol :smile:

what do you mean by rhetorical questions do you mean how you've worded your essays like

' blah blah memory model blah blah, but does the memory model really mean we are robots? *cue evaluation point* '
Reply 9
Hellooo I know nothing about the format, lol. I know we are studying memory, schizophrenia and forensic psychology but I'm not sure about what other topics we're covering! Aah and jabed, you said it's 21 essays overall, but we've been told it's 25?! And all are 25 marks each :nothing:
Reply 10
mel0n
Hellooo I know nothing about the format, lol. I know we are studying memory, schizophrenia and forensic psychology but I'm not sure about what other topics we're covering! Aah and jabed, you said it's 21 essays overall, but we've been told it's 25?! And all are 25 marks each :nothing:
Okay so you are doing
Topic - Schizophrenia (I think this is actually calle abnormal psych)
Application -Forensic
Topic - Memory
the othing you are doing is Controversies (everybody does this)

hmmm
well on the spec, there are 5 bullet points (5 essays) for each topic/application
And you have to three topics/applications so thats 15.
Then there are 7 controversy essays we have to learn (you can get away with 6)
so thats 21 or 22 essays altogether.

I can't think of the other essays your teacher is talking about.
Reply 11
jabed786
Okay so you are doing
Topic - Schizophrenia (I think this is actually calle abnormal psych)
Application -Forensic
Topic - Memory
the othing you are doing is Controversies (everybody does this)

hmmm
well on the spec, there are 5 bullet points (5 essays) for each topic/application
And you have to three topics/applications so thats 15.
Then there are 7 controversy essays we have to learn (you can get away with 6)
so thats 21 or 22 essays altogether.

I can't think of the other essays your teacher is talking about.

Aaah okayy. Like with the other psychology exams, will the questions on this one be anything fixed and certain or could it ask anything in the topic area?
Reply 12
mel0n
Aaah okayy. Like with the other psychology exams, will the questions on this one be anything fixed and certain or could it ask anything in the topic area?

If you mean like in PY2 the questions are pretty set 'Findiings of Milgram blah blah'
well it does look like the questions are quite certain.... I'vebeen doing Relationships and the bullet points on the spec are like:

Formation of relationships
Dissolution of relationships
Benefits of relationships etc. etc.

And they will ask just one question on Relationships like so
'Explain the formation of relationships' and that will be it, nothing else on that Relationships. They might tweak the question a little like they did for PY3 (questions were discuss but on the specimen it was Explain)
speaking of the spec, if you check my OP, I've linked to the specimen paper, go to page 18 to see the format of the exam.
I'm doing Schizophrenia, Depression, Forensic and Memory :smile: Wooooooooo! ^-^
Reply 14
xstarxsparklex
I'm doing Schizophrenia, Depression, Forensic and Memory :smile: Wooooooooo! ^-^

Oooh, four topics?? I thought it's 3 :colondollar:
Reply 15
mel0n
Oooh, four topics?? I thought it's 3 :colondollar:

Schiz and Depression are under one topic, the spec says so.
So it is 3 topics, 4 if you include controversies.
Looks like some people are going to be working very hard if they are doing four topic areas and then controversies.

Controversies is compulsory.
There are more topics under this section on the new paper but the question format is more straightforward ( if they stick to it) . The old format ( pre this year) was difficult to target for top grades

You should then complete three other topic areas which can be either one from applications and two from theories or one theory and two applications.

I dont believe there is time to work four areas ( and thus give anyone a chance of a different question choice) . I tried that on the old paper and it didnt work so I do three areas.

If anyone does the same areas, I will help if asked.
My areas are awareness ( sleep hypnosis and dreaming) memory and forgetting - I do both of these because they are straightforward models for the most part and tha pplication I do is forensic . Forensic because most students like it.

The downside of doing just three areas is you have to answer the question for that area on the paper, so no leeway if its a difficult question.

But I really dont think there is time enough to do more than three areas and controversies.
xstarxsparklex

You are doing abnormal, forensic and memory.
Reply 18
xstarxsparklex

I'm doing these too :colondollar:
Reply 19
wellpastmybedtime
Looks like some people are going to be working very hard if they are doing four topic areas and then controversies.

Controversies is compulsory.
There are more topics under this section on the new paper but the question format is more straightforward ( if they stick to it) . The old format ( pre this year) was difficult to target for top grades

You should then complete three other topic areas which can be either one from applications and two from theories or one theory and two applications.

I dont believe there is time to work four areas ( and thus give anyone a chance of a different question choice) . I tried that on the old paper and it didnt work so I do three areas.

If anyone does the same areas, I will help if asked.
My areas are awareness ( sleep hypnosis and dreaming) memory and forgetting - I do both of these because they are straightforward models for the most part and tha pplication I do is forensic . Forensic because most students like it.

The downside of doing just three areas is you have to answer the question for that area on the paper, so no leeway if its a difficult question.

But I really dont think there is time enough to do more than three areas and controversies.

Hi wellpastmybedtime :hello:

Quick Reply

Latest