The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Work experience!
Try and do as much as possible.
And remember what you learnt from each experience, and not just what you did.
:biggrin:
RogueTrombonist
I am quoting the 7 a stars from what Ive heard Birmingham want which seem to be the uni after the most a stars. Oxford want 70% I believe. This is also 6/7/8 a stars. So what have I said about getting 7 a stars which is so drastically wrong?
Also my definition of top universties for med is Oxford, Cambridge and Birmingham as these seem to be, from the info I've read, the hardest to get into.
Oh and don't have a go at me for saying you need 3rd science and an essay type subject at AS as I said this is just my opinion not fact. So I'm not givin wrong information as you claim, just my opinion which obviously differs from yours.

Your definition is rubbish.
RogueTrombonist
I am quoting the 7 a stars from what Ive heard Birmingham want which seem to be the uni after the most a stars. Oxford want 70% I believe. This is also 6/7/8 a stars. So what have I said about getting 7 a stars which is so drastically wrong?
Also my definition of top universties for med is Oxford, Cambridge and Birmingham as these seem to be, from the info I've read, the hardest to get into.
Oh and don't have a go at me for saying you need 3rd science
and an essay type subject at AS as I said this is just my opinion not fact. So I'm not givin wrong information as you claim, just my opinion which obviously differs from yours.

I think you should go back to busking or whatever it is you do (going by your username) and stop misleading people :wink:
Reply 23
Democracy
GCSEs are a piece of piss....I think most people who go on to get AAA invariably all have 9As/A*s at GCSE...not very good for diffrentiating candidates. In fact, as I recall, that's one of the reasons universities started looking at BMAT/UKCAT scores...

yeah, but a lot of people underperform in GCSEs because they don't think they're worth anything. Suddenly A level comes around and suddenly some people think now I should start working.
It's actually a lot easier to get As at GCSE than A*s. There will be an awful lot of candidates with 9As but significantly less with 9A*s.

People think it's unfair to discriminate on GCSEs, because they think it is as you say a piece of piss. A lot of students if they tried a bit harder could have done a lot better. Then you get all that stuff about it's easier to get A*s at GCSE if you go to a private school, whereas at A level it's a more level playing field.

To be honest, the UKCAT and BMAT aren't particularly good ways of testing people either. A lot of it depends on whether you've had a good day or not, how lucky you were with your guesses etc. It just gives a chance for those with poorer GCSEs to redeem themselves.

I'm not a fan of UKCAT at all as I think it's pointless. At least for GCSEs, you have students who put in time and effort to get those A*s (or perhaps the natural talent). That shows commitment and hard work. The UKCAT apparently is supposed to test your natural intelligence. I really doubt doing well on the UKCAT proves that you're going to not struggle as much with the medicine course. In fact worse still, the UKCAT is something you can revise for. If you buy the books, and practice the tests, you'll do significantly better. Hence it's not really a true indicator for natural intelligence. I'm not bitter about it as I didn't do well in it (I got over 700), but I am slightly angry that this system is in place as it's being used to reject perfectly good candidates for no valid reason.
Reply 24
dfjr
yeah, but a lot of people underperform in GCSEs because they don't think they're worth anything. Suddenly A level comes around and suddenly some people think now I should start working.
It's actually a lot easier to get As at GCSE than A*s. There will be an awful lot of candidates with 9As but significantly less with 9A*s.

People think it's unfair to discriminate on GCSEs, because they think it is as you say a piece of piss. A lot of students if they tried a bit harder could have done a lot better. Then you get all that stuff about it's easier to get A*s at GCSE if you go to a private school, whereas at A level it's a more level playing field.

To be honest, the UKCAT and BMAT aren't particularly good ways of testing people either. A lot of it depends on whether you've had a good day or not, how lucky you were with your guesses etc. It just gives a chance for those with poorer GCSEs to redeem themselves.

I'm not a fan of UKCAT at all as I think it's pointless. At least for GCSEs, you have students who put in time and effort to get those A*s (or perhaps the natural talent). That shows commitment and hard work. The UKCAT apparently is supposed to test your natural intelligence. I really doubt doing well on the UKCAT proves that you're going to not struggle as much with the medicine course. In fact worse still, the UKCAT is something you can revise for. If you buy the books, and practice the tests, you'll do significantly better. Hence it's not really a true indicator for natural intelligence. I'm not bitter about it as I didn't do well in it (I got over 700), but I am slightly angry that this system is in place as it's being used to reject perfectly good candidates for no valid reason.

I think we just have to accept no system will be totally fair. Admissions offices have limited time, and so will be forced to utilise UKCAT cutoffs etc. Most people applying to medicine could probably cope. However, there is limited space, and so they must use GCSEs, UKCAT cutoffs etc. No part of the application system is totally fair: UKCAT/BMAT depend on just one exam, GCSEs depend on how good your school is, Interviews/Personal Statements probably favour those who can lie enthusiastically and say intellignet things that they don't really feel, as opposed to someone who is really enthusiastic and committed but can't communicate that as well.
Reply 25
RogueTrombonist
Sum up...

Do well in GCSE's - get 7 A*s for a top uni.
Pick Biology and Chemistry at A Level (compulsory)
Choose a third science (for example Physics or Maths)
Pick an essay style option to show you are not a one trick pony (Eng Lit, History, Geog)
Get 4 A's at AS
Drop one for A2
Aim for AAA for top uni, though AAB still leaves you plenty of choice.

Whilst doing all this make sure you are doing plenty of voluntary work, and work experience in a hospital/care home etc. This looks good on a personal statement and makes sure in your own mind that medicine is right for you.

Also, keep an active social like - sports/music etc all look good on your personal statement and give you something to talk about.

The whole what to choose for A2 is just my personal opinion about what will look best. Apart from Bio and Chem which you have to pick.

Hope that helps.

Well you have to at least take additional science, I'm assuming those exams were from the first triple science exam and not core?....

You need a good maths grade to get to do the A-levels needed too.

For medicine you HAVE to have biology and chemistry a-levels (+maths gcse B+)
For oxford and top unis they usually want a 3rd science subject e.g. maths/further maths/physics a-level. And some say you need maths also... but plenty of good ones don't.
razwan-786
Hi, I am currently doing my GCSE's and i would like to become a doctor when I am older.

I would like to know how to become one, so the steps you have to go through, which A Levels you have to do, how many years you have to go at medical school and what you do after that. How hard it is to become a Doctor how much time you have to spend going over notes, revising etc.

I am in year 10 and I have done my P1a,C1a,B1a exams. I got:

Physics: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry:A

please could you provide me with this information

the only compulsory a level you need for medicine is chemistry, and even some medical schools will let you you in only with it to AS (although you may need biology if this is the case) .Anyone who says otherwise(see above) is mistaken.
Democracy
I think you should go back to busking or whatever it is you do (going by your username) and stop misleading people :wink:

Eh? You bold the part I say ... 'don't have a go at me for saying you need a 3rd science' ... if you had read on I clarified for the 3rd ******* time that having a 3rd science makes you look good is only my opinion and NOT FACT.

And I've also defined top universities in my opinion, based on the small amount of info I've read. Instead of having a go, tell me which ones are better, tell me why those 3 aren't the best, show me sites which say otherwise. Don't just take the easy way out and have a go at me, I'm not saying I know everything and if I say something wrong then correct it.
An alternate route is you could take premed in america, in which case i dont think you need anything really..
Reply 29
Skye333
For medicine you HAVE to have biology and chemistry a-levels (+maths gcse B+)

No. Some medical schools only ask for maths at grade C (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements), few require both biology and chemistry at A level (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements).

For oxford and top unis they usually want a 3rd science subject e.g. maths/further maths/physics a-level. And some say you need maths also... but plenty of good ones don't.

Again, no. Only a few colleges at Cambridge require 3 science subjects at A2.
Reply 30
jjackson18624
the only compulsory a level you need for medicine is chemistry, and even some medical schools will let you you in only with it to AS (although you may need biology if this is the case) .Anyone who says otherwise(see above) is mistaken.

You're putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage if you don't do A2 Chemistry and Biology.
Reply 31
Hygeia
No. Some medical schools only ask for maths at grade C (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements), few require both biology and chemistry at A level (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements).

Again, no. Only a few colleges at Cambridge require 3 science subjects.

Every Cambridge college requires 3 science/maths subjects to at least AS Level.
Reply 32
DaveJ
Every Cambridge college requires 3 science/maths subjects to at least AS Level.

I've edited my post to clarify then. I was trying to point out to them that they shouldn't try and advise on something where they don't really have a clue, given they said 'for oxford and other top unis'
RogueTrombonist
Eh? You bold the part I say ... 'don't have a go at me for saying you need a 3rd science' ... if you had read on I clarified for the 3rd ******* time that having a 3rd science makes you look good is only my opinion and NOT FACT.

And I've also defined top universities in my opinion, based on the small amount of info I've read. Instead of having a go, tell me which ones are better, tell me why those 3 aren't the best, show me sites which say otherwise. Don't just take the easy way out and have a go at me, I'm not saying I know everything and if I say something wrong then correct it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_Application_Myth_Busting#Myths_about_the_Universities

Read the entire page for future reference :wink:
DaveJ
You're putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage if you don't do A2 Chemistry and Biology.

My friend did french, R.S and bio at a level (dropped chemistry at AS) and got in her first choice medical school (st george's), so it can be done..hardly the all-sciences-and-maths combination some people say you NEED to have to stand a chance. Although i would question why you want to study medicine if your not intrested in taking chemistry and bio at a level!
RogueTrombonist
Sum up...

Do well in GCSE's - get 7 A*s for a top uni. By 'well', atleast meet the entry requirements for the med schools. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing thats >/= 6Bs at GCSE. Higher grades might prove advantageous at certain places (and I know noone wants to admit it but its true especially at Oxford where they use that and your BMAT score to shortlist for interviews - more GCSEs at A* = more room to 'slack' in the BMAT), but generally speaking meeting the minimum academic requirements should be ok.

Pick Biology and Chemistry at A AS Level (compulsory) Most unis want chem to the full A Level (compulsory), though some don't specify which one out of Bio and Chem to A Level (I think UEA is one of such unis). Just make sure you meet the academic requirements for the unis you want to apply to.

Choose a third science (for example Physics or Maths or anything else that floats your boat. Doing a third science subject/maths, though not compulsory for med school, can be easier as there's just so much overlap between the subjects at A Level. )

Pick an essay style option to show you are not a one trick pony (Eng Lit, History, Geog)

Get 4 A's at AS, not because it'll put you at an advantage (seeing as most med schools don't worry too much about AS grades) but because it'll make getting the grades so much easier at A2. No other advantage other than that IMO.

Drop one for A2 (the least relevant one), though carrying all four to A2 is possible especially if you don't think it will compromise your other grades.

Aim for AAA for top uni, though AAB still leaves you plenty of choice though none of them will be in London.

Whilst doing all this make sure you are doing plenty of voluntary work, and work experience in a hospital/care home etc. This looks good on a personal statement if you mention what you learnt from it and how it'll make you a good doctor and makes sure in your own mind that medicine is right for you.

Also, keep an active social like - sports/music etc all look good on your personal statement (again if you can develop some useful skills from them) and can be enjoyable and give you something to talk about.

The whole what to choose for A2 is just my personal opinion about what will look best. Apart from Bio and Chem which you have to pick at AS.

Hope that helps.

I've corrected a few things I didn't agree with but the rest I do agree with.

:wink:
RoadWarrior
If we are nit-picking, UCL don't need an essay style option.

Neither do Peninsula...
pp2r
I didnt say it was compulsory part of ucl entry requirements

That is the definition of "need".

pp2r
however it will give you an advantage as UCL clearly state on their website their following:

Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at A or AS-level. In this context the
definition of a contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and
Physics. For example: a foreign language, English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies,
Design and Technology, a foreign language etc.

Thankyou for that.. I have read their website.
vertigo.0012
Neither do Peninsula...

I didn't want to comment on Peninsula, 'cos I didn't know.. now I do :smile:
AND DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU YOU NEED TO PAY FOR MEDLINK, MEDSIM, BMAT PREPARATION COURSES/INTERVIEW COURSES TO GET IN. Especially medlink...admissions tutors dont care about that one bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending