The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Ludwig Wittgenstein
as far i can gather, the facilities are pretty much the same at most sites (and across many unis)
i think it is simply your preffered location that you need to figure out ... and you don't need to come all the way up just for that. :yep:

Yeah they are pretty similar accross the halls, apart from some having a bar or common room.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
kyle_y
Hey there! :smile: Leeds is my firm for Communication Studies so we'll be in the same department! (or institute? :s-smilie:)

I think Clarence Dock and Oxley are the two cheapest ensuite self catering at about £90 a week.

Yay for communication studies! What are you going to study in that faculty?

Yeah I think C.D. is to be my first choice for accom! Just not entirely sure as to what my second option will be! So many decisions :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 42
I already have my results so I'm 100% going to Leeds (hope your all jealous) but i've not decided what course yet!!

oh and I'm 24... does that sound old to you?

I live near Headingley, but a bit too far out to walk in. This summer I'm going to move to the center of Headingely.... if I can find a place. Or I was thinking of moving to Hyde Park so I could walk to the campus in about 10min, but a previous poster reckoned it's a dump? Anyone who lives there care to comment :smile:

Headingley is a good place to live and there are some really great bars and more and more shops are opening up. Clarence Dock is a really well done development, but it's hard to get to and a long way from the UNi, not sure why so many students want to live there?

If you want to know more, feel free to ask.
Reply 43
Yay for communication studies! What are you going to study in that faculty?

Yeah I think C.D. is to be my first choice for accom! Just not entirely sure as to what my second option will be! So many decisions :s-smilie: :confused:

BA Communication Studies :smile: Are you going to one of the visit days any time soon?
Reply 44
any ideas on bus fares?! if i were at clarence dock i reckon i'd need a bus pass. any idea how much this would be?
Reply 45
kyle_y
BA Communication Studies :smile: Are you going to one of the visit days any time soon?

Ah I have already been to my course's open day! It was a few weeks back. We stayed at Headingly Lodge the night before which was such a nice hotel! We lived about 4 and a half hours away so thought we may as well go the evening before.

I am not sure whether to go to the accommodation one in April. Are you? I want to decide now! And don't think visiting them again will help me much as I have seen a few already!

How about you?

:smile:
Do you have any idea where you want to live?
I have a feeling I might need a bus pass, especially living at Clarence Dock.

Does anybody know what Concept Place is like?? It seems in a good location, I think? Or Oxley?
Hello!

I've just had an offer today to study English lang and lit at Leeds. So excited! already firmed it! I'm looking at accommodation but not sure which to pick? Clarence Dock and James Baillie are quite appealing... I'd like to have self-catered and en-suite but I want it to be good socially too.. any ideas? =)
Daniella.tf
Hello!

I've just had an offer today to study English lang and lit at Leeds. So excited! already firmed it! I'm looking at accommodation but not sure which to pick? Clarence Dock and James Baillie are quite appealing... I'd like to have self-catered and en-suite but I want it to be good socially too.. any ideas? =)

jelly1000
North Hill Court is even cheaper

yeh they are pretty much the only 2 options my loan covers however i can't seem to find a great deal of info on north hill court or opinions or anything =/
any ideas on bus fares?! if i were at clarence dock i reckon i'd need a bus pass. any idea how much this would be?

Details of bus fares can be found here:

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/leeds/fares/students.php

Unless you're planning to use the bus to travel regularly to places in Leeds that are outside of Headingley/past Elland Road then the Greenzone Ticket (£96) might be the best purchase for you. :smile: Otherwise the regular monthly (£55)/termly ticket (£129) covers the areas beyond the usual student "haunts" :p:

If you don't get a term ticket than its £3.20 for a 'day rider' (£4 before 9:30am) which will get you unlimited travel on all First Leeds buses or it will be the price of a single fare each way whatever that may be (depending on where you are travelling from/to) But this is only worth it if a single fare there and back is less than £1.60 each of course.
insertusername
yeh they are pretty much the only 2 options my loan covers however i can't seem to find a great deal of info on north hill court or opinions or anything =/

Well, it is a small place... thus limiting the chances that someone on here will have stayed there. That said, it seems to be the place to be if you're not massively socialable, from what I gather...
Reply 51
What student amenities are there at Clarence Dock? I know there are some nice bars/restraunts. But how about the student vibe :woo:
Reply 52
Ah I have already been to my course's open day! It was a few weeks back. We stayed at Headingly Lodge the night before which was such a nice hotel! We lived about 4 and a half hours away so thought we may as well go the evening before.

I am not sure whether to go to the accommodation one in April. Are you? I want to decide now! And don't think visiting them again will help me much as I have seen a few already!

How about you?

:smile:
Do you have any idea where you want to live?
I have a feeling I might need a bus pass, especially living at Clarence Dock.

Does anybody know what Concept Place is like?? It seems in a good location, I think? Or Oxley?

I quite liked Leodis which was quite close to the uni. Bout a 5 or 10 minute walk but I'll probably get a bus pass anyway as I doubt I'll survive walking everywhere. But I'm not too bothered bout where I live. As long as its not toooo far like Oxley or Bodington and it's self-catered and a reasonable price I'll be happy.

I don't think I'll bother with the accomodation open day. I don't think I'll get the time off work and it's not worth the train fare from London.
Reply 53
Daniella.tf
Hello!

yay english ! :smile: me too!
I'm not sure about accom either..
Does anyone know which are the most fun? I'm tempted to go for Devonshire, i've heard they're the nicest but i read that you can't have private parties there..does anyone know if this is true?
I'd like catered maybe en suite, which are the best ? Apparently bodington, oxley, henry price are the best has anyone heard anyting about those? x
thisyear!
yay english ! :smile: me too!
I'm not sure about accom either..
Does anyone know which are the most fun? I'm tempted to go for Devonshire, i've heard they're the nicest but i read that you can't have private parties there..does anyone know if this is true?
I'd like catered maybe en suite, which are the best ? Apparently bodington, oxley, henry price are the best has anyone heard anyting about those? x

Feel free to check out the Henry Price guide in my signature (I wrote it, hence the advert :p: ).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=491553

It's about 2 years old now but nothing significant has changed since I was there as far as I know. There aren't many ensuite rooms there (There was 1 ensuite in my flat, most of the other flats also share this layout) but you would only share a shower/toilet with 1 other person of the same sex even if you didn't get an ensuite. The showers are in between 2 bedrooms with access from your bedroom.

No idea about having private parties at Devonshire. I don't see how they could really enforce it as such. I guess it's like the rule about having visitors. It's supposed to be something like having someone visit twice per term but in reality no one took any notice of it :o:

Edit: For those of you who are struggling to find info on here about the various accom. check out this if you haven't already:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Leeds_Accommodation

It gives details about all the various places to stay (some have more detail than others).
TheWizard
Feel free to check out the Henry Price guide in my signature (I wrote it, hence the advert :p: ).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=491553

It's about 2 years old now but nothing significant has changed since I was there as far as I know. There aren't many ensuite rooms there (There was 1 ensuite in my flat, most of the other flats also share this layout) but you would only share a shower/toilet with 1 other person of the same sex even if you didn't get an ensuite. The showers are in between 2 bedrooms with access from your bedroom.

No idea about having private parties at Devonshire. I don't see how they could really enforce it as such. I guess it's like the rule about having visitors. It's supposed to be something like having someone visit twice per term but in reality no one took any notice of it :o:

Edit: For those of you who are struggling to find info on here about the various accom. check out this if you haven't already:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Leeds_Accommodation

It gives details about all the various places to stay (some have more detail than others).

That guide really sold HP to me, thanks :smile: Shall be my first choice I reckon.
Just firmed my offer from Leeds for English lit & Theatre Studies ^___^
Anyone else out there doing this course? :smile:
I'm so indecisive about accomodation! Definitely want en suite and self catered but I have no idea which one's I prefer =/ the search continues :wink:
Reply 57
Just decided on MA Modern History starting in September as Military History is no longer available. No idea where I will be staying as I leave to New Zealand tomorrow until August, although I'm sure there will be plenty of places left to stay.
Reply 58
Been accepted into leeds for French and Spanish (AAB), im still waiting on two replies from other unis and am worrying that its getting later and later to apply for accomodation. Does anyone know which are the most popular accomodations that may go first? may be painful to look and them and like them then find out they are already full
hydra6001
am worrying that its getting later and later to apply for accomodation. Does anyone know which are the most popular accomodations that may go first? may be painful to look and them and like them then find out they are already full

None of them go first, none of them will be full as it's not first come, first served. Every new undergraduate who applies before the 1 July deadline is guaranteed accommodation (as long as you don't end up coming through clearing) and stands the same chance of getting their preference. The ones which have more people applying than places available are usually: Henry Price, James Baillie Park and Devonshire. So logically you stand less chance of getting a place at one of those than at some of the others but everyone has the same less chance, if you see what I mean!

Latest