The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Barts :yes: as long as the ukcat is relatively high.

Kings depending on Ukcat aswell. One boy got an interview with only one A* in this current cycle. (I think his ukcat was like 712.5/715).

Southampton, PMS, Keele, UCL ( with good Bmat).

I don't really know much information on the rest.
lekky
This is rubbish.. the OP should avoid Oxbridge, B'ham, Liverpool, King's, St Andrews, Edinburgh, possibly also Bristol, Leeds, sure I'm forgetting some.

Indeed, birmingham and oxbridge just the only ones i knew of, which i believe i said.
I was just basing that on someone in my year who had the same grades at GCSE, and has managed to get responses from 3 of his 5 choices so far, one of them i believe being liverpool.
He did however do very well in his AS's, and also in interviews situations.
Reply 22
JammyDodger4
Indeed, birmingham and oxbridge just the only ones i knew of, which i believe i said.
I was just basing that on someone in my year who had the same grades at GCSE, and has managed to get responses from 3 of his 5 choices so far, one of them i believe being liverpool.
He did however do very well in his AS's, and also in interviews situations.

3 of 5? You can only apply to 4 :p:

I might actually be wrong about L'pool, never wanted to go to the place personally so OP you should double check that.
lekky
3 of 5? You can only apply to 4 :p:

I might actually be wrong about L'pool, never wanted to go to the place personally so OP you should double check that.

Haha, you got me there to be fair! You can tell I didn't apply for it...thought about it, but didn't!
I think another was Cardiff, although, i went to the open day there, and they seemed to stress that GCSE's had quite a bearing on any offer.
what about dundee glasgow. their gcse requierments are low.
Reply 25
Gizmo!
'ow arrogant you are to fink that your guess is better informed than a med school website.

In the feedback they don't tell you how they score the academics. 11As = 10, 11A*'s = 14. Somewhere imbetween (ie several A*s) = 12 isn't an unreasonable guesstimate.

Understand now?
Reply 26
abhijitnair
i got 4 A*'s and 8 A's at gcse
wt uni's do you think i should apply to
as i dont want to be too disadvantaged by my gcse's
i think this will be good advice for other medical applicant who have got modest gcse's.

Liverpool score As and A*s the same - ie they would get the same amount of points...

so you would be scored the same as someone who got 12A*s

(they might only take the top 8 though?)
Reply 27
DaveJ
No they won't.

OP, I would advise you to avoid Oxford, Birmingham, Queens Belfast, Edinburgh, St Andrews, and a couple of others (perhaps Leicester? can't remember if it's them I'm thinking of).

You should be fine for most places though. Well, obviously, the higher the GCSE grades the better, but there are lots of other parts of the application, so you have plenty of opportunities to convice medical schools to accept you. GCSEs are only one factor, and yours are pretty good anyway. :smile:

THIS!
And Kings unless you have a very good UKCAT eg 700 and over.
I have pretty much exactly the same GCSE's as you and have got 3 interviews so far! You won't be disadvantaged.
Reply 28
Muddy91
Liverpool score As and A*s the same - ie they would get the same amount of points...

so you would be scored the same as someone who got 12A*s

(they might only take the top 8 though?)

really? that's interesting - oxford does the opposite - scoring A the same as a F.
Reply 29
Dotty101
In the feedback they don't tell you how they score the academics. 11As = 10, 11A*'s = 14. Somewhere imbetween (ie several A*s) = 12 isn't an unreasonable guesstimate.

Understand now?

it was understood 1st time, macca.

the only fing i've not understood is why you misinterpreted the point i was making.
Reply 30
nexttime
really? that's interesting - oxford does the opposite - scoring A the same as a F.

Is that because oxford do it on percentage of A*s, regardless of what you got in your other grades?
Do not apply to

Birmingham
Oxford

Think very carefully before applying to

Edinburgh
St Andrews
Leeds
Kings College London

Otherwise you're good to go!
Reply 32
overclocked
Do not apply to

Birmingham
Oxford

Think very carefully before applying to

Edinburgh
St Andrews
Leeds
Kings College London

Otherwise you're good to go!

Well, more places than that will take GCSEs into account above the minimum requirements, but they would just have to accept that they will be a bit disadvantaged when they're applying. Nobody has the perfect application anyway.
DaveJ
Well, more places than that will take GCSEs into account above the minimum requirements, but they would just have to accept that they will be a bit disadvantaged when they're applying. Nobody has the perfect application anyway.

Spose but those places are especially GCSE heavy especially Birmingham and Ox.
Reply 34
Muddy91
Is that because oxford do it on percentage of A*s, regardless of what you got in your other grades?

That is what i am referring to, yes. Of course, after interviews are held then overall grades may be considered.
Reply 35
DaveJ
and a couple of others (perhaps Leicester? can't remember if it's them I'm thinking of).

Nah OP would be ok with Leicester :smile:
Reply 36
Lu-x
Nah OP would be ok with Leicester :smile:

Yeah, turns out I was thinking of Leeds.
abhijitnair
i got 4 A*'s and 8 A's at gcse
wt uni's do you think i should apply to
as i dont want to be too disadvantaged by my gcse's
i think this will be good advice for other medical applicant who have got modest gcse's.

:lolwut:

Don't talk wet.
Reply 38
lekky
This is rubbish.. the OP should avoid Oxbridge, B'ham, Liverpool, King's, St Andrews, Edinburgh, possibly also Bristol, Leeds, sure I'm forgetting some.

liverpool? i thought they scored A* and A's the same, so why would they be too concerned?
Dotty101

I scored 10/16 for academics and got 11A's. A friend got 11A*s and scored 14/16 but did'nt get an interview because he dropped more than 6 points overall ie his personal statement was scored quite low.

Was the only difference in academics between your application and your friends the number of A*s at GCSEs? I'm interested in applying for Leeds but only have 5 A*s and 5 As and don't want to waste and application slot. Does anyone know if most universitys rank candidates GCSEs scores on % A* or number of As and A*s. Would the OP be ranked higher than me despite having one less A*?

Latest

Trending

Trending