The Student Room Group

Sport Coaching BSc or Sports Science BSc

Hi there,

My boyfriend is looking to apply as a mature student but is in limbo about where to go. I may be biased, but I believe he is very intelligent. He works as a personal trainer and has completed various courses which have landed him a sports massage therapy qualification.

His passion lies in Sports Coaching and he is therefore tempted by a degree in this at Brighton university. However, having had a little spy, the asking grades are incredibly low and they only insist on 3 Grade C passes at GCSE.

On the other hand, Loughborough offers Sports Science- slightly different, and more numerically based (which puts him off). Would he still enjoy it there, regardless, and would being at Brighton be frustrating because the people would be less intelligent?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I thought that was a low entry requirement, and have just had a look on their website. They ask for 3 A'Levels at BBB, plus 5 GSCEs - dunno where you got 3 GCSEs from.

http://courses.brighton.ac.uk/course.php?cnum=1155

Just because a degree may have a lower entry requirement doesn't mean it's a course for thick people! It's still a degree, and a science degree at that, which aren't exactly known for being easy.

He should look more at the course content, and if he feels he is cleverer than other students, good on him, just make sure he works hard and gets a good degree at the end. But he may have to first do an access course to get on the degree if he hasn't got the A levels they want.

Latest

Trending

Trending