Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sub-forums

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    While i really appreciate what d has done to improve UkL, I personally find it annoying that i have to jump between forums, as at least with the old system you could just reload the page - the beauty of it was that is was so simple! I agree that the forum was becoming too crowded, but I don't think sub forums is the way to go...then again, nor do i have an alternative suggestion. The arguement that this system means you can ignore non-relevent threads because they are in a different forum doesn't work for me - i'm interested in most of them!
    Do you think maybe there should be fewer sub-forums?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I agree with you, lou - once the academic stuff etc is filtered out of the main mishmash it'll be far easier to see what you're dealing with. And helpful to people with queries, too - looking at the old academic threads in the academic subforum, there seem to have been a very large number of important queries that got lost in the general hubbub of this place.
    A problem with the sub forum for academic threads is that fewer may get answers - a lot of members just come on here to chat, and when the academic queries were in the main forum someone who was just chatting might see it and answer it, which might not happen now. I don't think i'd go to the academic section much, unless i had a question myself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Do you think maybe there should be fewer sub-forums?
    Maybe just 2, one for academia and one for chit-chat? But i really don't know, i can't really think of a better option. Can you?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Maybe just 2, one for academia and one for chit-chat? But i really don't know, i can't really think of a better option. Can you?
    That seems to be a compromise.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that there should be more subforums but with a todays post feature.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    What did he give you rep for?
    Well somebody gave me rep. And it was for "giving feedback" on UKL. Now, who do we know who might be intelligent enough to use the rep system properly...

And who do we know who is powerful enough to give out 2 separate bits of rep the the same person in the space of one minute?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many rep do you need for a gem?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d)
    Appreciate your concerns Adhsur. The reaction this time has been a lot more muted possibly because it comes in response to a variety of threads saying that the forum was too busy. One thing that the traffic graphs also suggest is that the period of intense growth that the forum has been experiencing over the past 5 months is plateuing out, and there need to be some sort of structural changes to resolve the tensions raised in the recent threads saying that the forum was too busy.

The logical thing to do is to divide the forum up into subforums. That way conceivably we can get a lot more growth out of the forum and accommodate all of the users wanting to post but put off by the rapid rate of posting and volume of users that preclude the development of a community spirit, something ostensbily necessary to these sorts of sites.

Would you suggest that we revert back to the old single forum system?
    Well that's quite understandable and I appreciate how much you are trying to improve the forum. It's just I think this has made things so much more difficult.

And what will happen when people inevitably start posting things in the wrong subforum?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    And what will happen when people inevitably start posting things in the wrong subforum?
    This has already started

And also the homework subforum is empty, and if you have a problem , noone actually even reads it... Unlike the attention it got when a lot of people were able to read it...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

And also the homework subforum is empty, and if you have a problem , noone actually even reads it... Unlike the attention it got when a lot of people were able to read it...
    I totally agree. Make it one forum and stop anyone new joining !!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    This has already started

Exactly. All the mods will have to start shifting the threads day in day out...

Either that or the other forums will be empty and we'll be back to the original system.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one is giving it a chance, its the first day. Also doesnt it make sense to have a sticky announcement in the main area about the new subforums telling people where to post and then people will gradually get used to it, otherwise they probably wont know to look in the subforums.
    There doesnt seem to be any explanation which is why new threads are being posted in the wrong places.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Exactly. All the mods will have to start shifting the threads day in day out...

Either that or the other forums will be empty and we'll be back to the original system.
    This is UK learning, so we should put homeworks etc on main page and general chit chat ont eh pther pages, I would support that idea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    subforums are back, and they're as bad as before. Terrible.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    subforums are back, and they're as bad as before. Terrible.
    I give it 2 weeks before tehy get voted out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I give it 2 weeks before tehy get voted out
    last time it look a couple of days. however, maybe there's a cunning plan where all the complaints are put into this subforum, so nobody will read them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're using the best forum software... so why not use it effectively?

Instead of having sub-forums, just have the seperate sections as forums on their own. Makes it all much easier to navigate, and looks nicer too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)

Instead of having sub-forums, just have the seperate sections as forums on their own. Makes it all much easier to navigate, and looks nicer too.
    hmm

*ponders idea
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)

How does that make it easier to navigate? Surely the result is still having several different sections to look at? Performing the same function as the sub-forums.

---

I'm not sure yet about the sub-forums.

The last couple of times they were put in place I was very much against them, as has been said, the simplicity is part of the beauty of the forums (amoung other reasons I am too tired to reinflate). At the same time however, the huge increase in posting and traffic over the past weeks has become evident, and it has been quite hard to keep up. The academic threads appear to be swamped by all the chat etc.
    It is nice just to be able to see everything on a page, but with so many threads etc things are being pushed down pretty quickly. Then again, I am concerned that the new set up with divide the forum (well obviously but...), what I mean is -people might tend to stick to one subforum. Eg- a lot of people, who in the old set up might happened to have noticed a thread title requesting helped and responded, will now not see the threads because generally they'll obly visit the main page. I also think having very specific sub forums is a bad idea because I don't think people will go out of there way to check them as often. -Eg, if I see a thread title I know something about I'll go in and respond, but I doubt I'll make daily visits to the maths/physics sections because I'm not overly experience/skilled with either and I'm sure the other sections will be a lot more interesting to me.

Anyway- we shall see. It may well be that after a few days people will have adjusted and can thus come to a more reasonable conclusion (whether for or against). At the end of the day it's d's decision but he's always listened to our input before and I daresay will do so again.

---

Right, it's late, well early (3:55am (what am I doing?!)) I'm tired and have probably made a shambles of this post.

Night all,

Egan
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    How does that make it easier to navigate? Surely the result is still having several different sections to look at? Performing the same function as the sub-forums.

---

I'm not sure yet about the sub-forums.

The last couple of times they were put in place I was very much against them, as has been said, the simplicity is part of the beauty of the forums (amoung other reasons I am too tired to reinflate). At the same time however, the huge increase in posting and traffic over the past weeks has become evident, and it has been quite hard to keep up. The academic threads appear to be swamped by all the chat etc.
    It is nice just to be able to see everything on a page, but with so many threads etc things are being pushed down pretty quickly. Then again, I am concerned that the new set up with divide the forum (well obviously but...), what I mean is -people might tend to stick to one subforum. Eg- a lot of people, who in the old set up might happened to have noticed a thread title requesting helped and responded, will now not see the threads because generally they'll obly visit the main page. I also think having very specific sub forums is a bad idea because I don't think people will go out of there way to check them as often. -Eg, if I see a thread title I know something about I'll go in and respond, but I doubt I'll make daily visits to the maths/physics sections because I'm not overly experience/skilled with either and I'm sure the other sections will be a lot more interesting to me.

Anyway- we shall see. It may well be that after a few days people will have adjusted and can thus come to a more reasonable conclusion (whether for or against). At the end of the day it's d's decision but he's always listened to our input before and I daresay will do so again.

---

Right, it's late, well early (3:55am (what am I doing?!)) I'm tired and have probably made a shambles of this post.

Night all,

Egan
    My thoughts EXACTLY.
Updated: December 26, 2003
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.